Window Glass Insulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Window Glass Insulation

Studebaker used a glass setting tape between the glass and the side window frames on the Avanti. There are several thicknesses available from suppliers. Does anyone know the proper thickness for this application?
    Thank you,
    Dick Bennett
    rabennett3@hotmail.com

Auto glass shops will sell you lengths of 1/16 & 1/8" thickness. Also a length of 1/32" is useful. Simply put together whatever thickness is needed to give a fairly snug fit. Apply light motor oil (10W) to the lift channel and tap on to the glass. The setting tape will swell with the light oil and lock the lift channel or frame to the glass.

Comment

Window Glass Insulation

Thank you for your response. My window glass appears to have the same thickness insulation on the entire piece (rear quarter vent window). I would like to replace the insulation with the same thickness that the factory used. Do you happen to know what Studebaker used on this vent window for the Avanti?

Comment

I believe it is 3/32nds I had to have the glass company special order it in.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

If 3/32" is what is needed, you can use 1/16" over 1/32" or 3 layers of 1/32", it really doesn't matter. Once the glass is squeezed in and the excess setting tape trimmed, you will not be able to tell what was used.

Comment

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help. This stuff is expensive and difficult to get so I wanted to make sure I got the right size to do the job.

Comment

Working...
            X