Speedo Drive Changes for Models with 14" wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: Speedo Drive Changes for Models with 14" wheels

Does anyone have any information regarding the changes (if any) that were made by Studebaker-Packard in order to accommodat the 14" wheel models for 1958 as it relates to speedometer accuracy ? Without any changes the speedometer would obviously indicate a speed several %age points too slow. Therefore, did they change the driven gear at the end of the speedo cable, or perhaps an internal calibration of the speedometer. I can't find anything on this particular subject. Thanks, Dan

Sorry on last post. i mean too fast. Dan

Comment

The 15" rims usually had 6.70 tires. The 14" rims had 8.00 series tires......much larger in relation to the rim, and nearly the same outside dimension.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Bezhawk, that sounds correct, however, advertising indicates the cars sit 1/2 inch lower with 14" wheels. It would be interesting to compare the actual height of the mounted tire. Other than trying to follow suit with the other carmakers and provide a lower car, what would have been the purpose ? Studebaker incurred a lot of expense to so if it yielded no net result. Interesting. Perhaps the 14s gave the "look" they wanted on their new full size hardtop ! Thanks, Dan

Comment

58 cars changed the floor stampings to accommodate the new one piece drive shaft. The rear leaf springs were changed to assemetrical units, and I believe this is how they achieved lowering.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

bezhawk, well that makes sense. Thanks, Dan

Comment

Working...
            X