1955 models question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1955 models question.

Trying to remember,about a post pertaining to various models.but mainly about President State Hardtops,were they called just that or did people call them Hardtop Conv. ?
    Joseph R. Zeiger

WOW!!!

Was that another Studebaker first ???

Just kidding.
    I think think those came along years later ?

Dean.

Comment

I think starting in 1953, the 'K' body style became a 'hardtop coupe' as no convertible models were offered from that year, and could not be based on one like the 1952 Starliner was.

Craig

Comment

I think you're right,45E... I had a parts car 1952,and the title actually said "hardtop convertible". And 1952 would be the last year they could be called that.
        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Originally posted by 52hawk View Post
          I think you're right,45E... I had a parts car 1952,and the title actually said "hardtop convertible". And 1952 would be the last year they could be called that.
          Wow so trying to be a smarty pants and I get to learn something new about my own car.

Thanks guys.

Dean.

Comment

President State Hardtops are K/hardtops that are Presidents with the State trim level.

Early Hardtops were sometimes called Hardtop/Convertibles.

Since the Hardtops (K) and Coupes (C) looked similar, some used a generic Hardtop Coupe description.

I like 55s, but I've heard many people call them many different names, even "Hawks", mostly because they were rare enough that most non-Studebaker types could not see the differences.

Comment

Originally posted by 55s View Post
              President State Hardtops are K/hardtops that are Presidents with the State trim level.

Early Hardtops were sometimes called Hardtop/Convertibles.

Since the Hardtops (K) and Coupes (C) looked similar, some used a generic Hardtop Coupe description.

I like 55s, but I've heard many people call them many different names, even "Hawks", mostly because they were rare enough that most non-Studebaker types could not see the differences.

Yes, the term "Hardtop Convertible" was used by manufacturers in the early 50s, and not just by Studebaker. I always thought it was stupid terminology. The car is either a hardtop or a convertible, it can't be both! (Unless you're talking about a 57-59 Ford retractable, possibly). But even though that's what the manufacturers called them, I don't think the general public ever did.

55s, a lot of people who see my '54 Starliner call it a "Hawk" also. Ahead of its time, I guess.

Comment

As a child of the '50s, I grew up hearing the term, "hardtop convertible" all the time by most of the car makers. Nobody was fooled into thinking that they were convertibles, it was just the accepted name. For example, my '59 Lark Hardtop was also referred to as a hardtop convertible. I don't know for certain, but the term may have been started by automotive journalists, i.e. Motor Trend, etc.
                On another note, American Motors was called just that by the company. The automotive press coined the name, AMC and American Motors seemed to adopt that logo.

Rog
                '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                Smithtown,NY
                Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Like 55s, the first word coming from people as they view my 55, is usually "Hawk". It was such a great and memorable name that most living people remember "Studebaker Hawk", if nothing else. No harm. I tell them this was the predecesor to the Hawk. As for "Hardtop", I think 54 was the last year it was described by the factory as a Starliner. I would love my 55 to be a starliner, but it's just a hardtop. I can live with that.
                  Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

I think that the term hardtop convertible came from the late-40s - early-'50s when hardtops were no more than a convertible body with a steel roof attached.

Studebaker folder D-187-2-53 refers to the model as; 1953 Studebaker Commander V-8 Starliner "hard-top" convertible for 5 (similar for Champion).

I believe that the Starliner name was only used by Studebaker from 1952-1954.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                      I think that the term hardtop convertible came from the late-40s - early-'50s when hardtops were no more than a convertible body with a steel roof attached.

Studebaker folder D-187-2-53 refers to the model as; 1953 Studebaker Commander V-8 Starliner "hard-top" convertible for 5 (similar for Champion).
                      That would be logical as there actually was the famous running and fully tested prototype convertible intended for production which never materialized in the end.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                      X