Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions about advertising/buying large parts sight unseen from someone we don't know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about advertising/buying large parts sight unseen from someone we don't know

sigpic

Many people use Greyhound bus lines for shipping very large parts. As far as trust from an unknown seller, if they have an ebay account their feedback rating would give you an idea. On prewar Studebaker parts, you are pretty much limited to "is what it is" condition, ask a lot of questions about the condition and try to get a feel for how well the seller knows what he's selling. Sometimes you've got to take a chance. If your looking at something hundreds or thousands of miles away, look in your SDC or ASC roster for a nearby member who's willing to take a look for you- for fuel reimbursement, of course!

Comment

Well, a friend of mine rolled the dice and bought a complete car ('55 Speedster) off e-bay sight unseen and 1000 miles away. With shipping cost, I'm talking fairly big bucks. The car was delivered 3 weeks later
      and He was quite happy with it. I think on the trunk lid deal I'd believe what the seller tells You and go for it.

Comment

I would start by contacting John McCall in MO since he is a long time club member and has some parts cars. At least that is if you have a sedan. If you have a coupe you will never find one.

Comment

So far everyone is right on. You have to just get a feel for the person, does he/she sound like they know what they have or do they sound schetchy. Lots of pics. Request pics of angles not shown or of problem areas. But at some point you have to just jump in and take a shot.

Shipping has options. If the seller is willing to drop the part off somewhere, then there is Greyhound Roscomacaw uses them alot, or any over the road shipper. The problem and big cost comes in when the trucker has to go and pick up the item from the sellers house. I have bought and sold some bigger items, whole motorcycles, and shipped them both ways. It is not as hard as it seems. This is a global market these days and the world is now set up for that.

I sold a motorcycle on Ebay to a broker in Brooklynn NY a couple months ago. He sent a 12 car hauler out and we loaded it up into his buddies big rig hauler strapped it down and off it went. A couple of weeks ago I get an email saying Welcome from Murmansk Russia....The actual buyer of the bike was a guy from Russia who used the Brooklynn guy as a broker and relay shipper who dismantled it partly and shipped it to Finland where the actual buyer picked it up and brought home accross the Russian border. It was because when I read the email, he was ecstatic at how clean and nice the bike was. He was looking for one part that I did not send with the bike, a non important smog part that always gets ripped off immediately. I no longer had it, but he was fine with that. Nice to hear from the receiving buyer that he was happy half way round the world and above the arctic circle....pretty cool.

Comment

Thanks. How does Greyhound require they be packaged?
            sigpic

Comment

Do you have contact info? Send a message if you prefer not to post here. If he is in MO that would be ideal. Depending on where we might even be able to pick it up on a Sunday drive. It's a 4 dr Deluxetone Commander.
              sigpic

Comment

Basically wrap or protect any sharp edges. Some will wrap in bubble wrap, some in cardboard, some in trash bags. I got a pickup front fender sent to me in KC, Mo. from central Florida on Greyhound and they double wrapped it in nothing more than trash bags. Got a pickup rear bimper from NC to KC also by Greyhound wrapped in heavy kraft paper. Down side is that Greyhound only delivers to their local terminal and you have to go pick it up.
                \'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
                \'64 Daytona HT

Comment

I once had the Aussie Greyhound deliver a pair of car doors to me, all was well, and they lent me some snips so I could load the doors in my car. I'm sure you'll be fine - after all they've done this for a while.
                  John Clements
                  Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

you roll your dice....you take your chances...

Comment

I have use Greyhound in the past and they trashed a "C" cab rear fender that was packaged quite well when it left not only did they trash it but lost it for 2 months and then just happened to find it where? at the place it was sent to, I now have a 53-55 reconditioned coupe trunk that needs to go to Roswell NM. I told the buyer I don't like shipping large items because of the cost and my time spent getting it ready to ship and then getting it to the shipper my time is worth more than most want to pay for, I checked with UPS yesterday about them packaging and shipping with insurance for $1000.00 I was told min. $350.00 and might be more, I guess it will go Greyhound and still might be around $200.00 that is one of the reasons I like to make trips across the country and deliver but in the long run unless I am going that way I still need to charge something, I figured if I made the trip to South Bend in May it would cost me about $3500.00 just for the trip so would need to sell a lot of large items but then some of the large items take up so much room that I can't take the amount needed to cover and justify the trip.
                      Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

Working...
                      X