Tectol rust prevention?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tectol rust prevention?

Hey folks. While at the meet in SB, every night a few other SDCers and I sat around in the parking lot til the wee hours of the morning, as that's how it is at most SDC meets.

A gentleman from South Africa joined us a couple of those nights, and told us of a product called Tectol that you apply all over your car (under-carriage, body seams, any place where rust might form) and it keeps it from rusting. You apply it on with all the trim removed after you paint the car. You supposedly mix it with tranny fluid, and that thins it down, and also allows the Tectol to seep into places where you can't get it into.

Has anyone else ever heard of this? The way he was talking about it, it really seemed like it was the way to go and would work well.

P.S. If you've never sat around all night in the parking lot with other Stude guys at a show, you're missing out! Sometimes you learn of things like Tectol, sometimes you're changing the valve covers on a R2 Lark under a street light, and other times people will pull up with a never-machined Studebaker V8 block that they found at the Foundry...

Matthew Burnette
    '59 Scotsman
    '63 Daytona
    Hazlehurst, GA

I'm the fat man on the left in the picture! I'll get a picture one day Matt......... maybe of you at church in the pick up...lol.

shhhhhhh about the block..........lol.

Last time I do this,I promise
    It is an addiction!

Comment

quote:A gentleman from South Africa joined us a couple of those nights, and told us of a product called Tectol that you apply all over your car (under-carriage, body seams, any place where rust might form) and it keeps it from rusting. You apply it on with all the trim removed after you paint the car. You supposedly mix it with tranny fluid, and that thins it down, and also allows the Tectol to seep into places where you can't get it into.
      I don't know about Tectol, but my dad knew a guy who sprayed liberal doses of straight AT fluid all over the inner cavities of the body panels and inside the frame rails.

I never had to clean one of those up when he traded for a new car, but I can imagine what a mess it was. On the other hand, Dad said they were always rust free.

Paul

1950 Land Cruiser project

I finally have a Stude I can drive! (sort of)
      1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed, a/c

Comment

Found on the net:

" Tectol has a very long history, and I can remember the days when most new vehicles were driven from the car dealer directly to the Tectol applicator. However, in later years it was discovered that Tectol was as good at sealing moisture in as it was at keeping it out. Car manufacturers started to issue disclaimers on the new car corrosion warranties if you applied Tectol."

JDP/Maryland
        66 Sports sedan
        64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
        64 Daytona R2
        63 GT R2
        63 Lark 2 door
        62 Gt Hawk
        62 Lark 2 door
        60 Lark HT-60Hawk
        59 3E truck
        58 Starlight
        52 & 53 Starliner
        51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Valvoline has a product called Tectyl - same stuff

Bob Johnstone
          64 GT Hawk (K7)
          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Along the same lines I have been known to spray used motor oil on farm equipment that is stored outside to inhibit rust. I also found that motor oil did a nice job of bringing back the shine on the plastic grille and bumpers of the Xterra I used to own.

Comment

Working...
            X