1961 Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1961 Hawk

I need help/advice. Looking at a 1961 Hawk that is in very good condition inside and out. The question I have is, it has a 289 in it and Im not sure this is the original engine. Also, this is the vin 61v27239...any help with this would be appreciated.

Pull this SDC page up and read thru it. You should find the help you need to ID the engine.
    64 Champ long bed V8
    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

WELCOME ...to the SDC Forum, Trent!!!

Comment

Here's where you find the stamped (not raised or cast) engine identifying number.

It's on a machined pad on the left (driver side) front of the engine block:

All domestic 1961 Hawks had a 289 engine standard equipment, but the number isn't the same as the car's serial number. Information in the chart in Post #2 will tell you if your engine's number is in the correct range of numbers for a 1961 engine. If it is within that range, it is probably the Hawk's original engine.

However, that can be proven only by securing a copy of the car's Production Order from The Studebaker National Museum, which I believe can be paid for and ordered through their website. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help. I was able to find the engine number which was P79434. Thanks again!

Comment

P79434 would put you motor at the later production numbers for 1961 and a Hawk model applicable number. You car serial number of 61v27239 I would think would be in the high end of a serial number for a 1961 Hawk so without having the production order in front of you, I would think you have very high odds that this is in fact the original motor for this car.
            I hope the deal works out for you and welcome to a great and helpful site.

Comment

Working...
            X