Exhaust for 56 Power Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust for 56 Power Hawk

I hope this is not the wrong place for this post, if it is let me know. I am restoring my Grandfathers 1956 Power Hawk and need a full new exhaust (all the pipes).
    Three Questions:
    1. Is Stainless a good idea?
    2. What is the best way to replace an exhaust system? Buy a set or have a local shop rebuild it?
    3. Vendor suggestions?
    The car will never be all original and my goal with the restoration (Motor rebuild, New Interior, Chrome, Paint and body)is to put it back in a condition that will last for another 50-75 years.
    Thanks,
    Clint

Originally posted by cbabcock View Post
    /Cut/
    1. Is Stainless a good idea?
    2. What is the best way to replace an exhaust system? Buy a set or have a local shop rebuild it?
    3. Vendor suggestions?
    The car will never be all original and my goal with the restoration (Motor rebuild, New Interior, Chrome, Paint and body)is to put it back in a condition that will last for another 50-75 years. Thanks, Clint
    OK the Stainless question is a no brainer, since you want it to last over 20 years, yes it is worth it!

When you become a Member of the SDC and receive your Monthly copy of "Turning Wheels" you will see our two Studebaker Exhaust Pipe Manufacturers at least one of which if not both, will have Stainless Steel.
    They are:

Silvertone Exhaust Systems Ontario, Canada: 519 484 1966 (Everyone who has tried them have been totally satisfied.)

Parks Pipes Ohio: 937 678 7565

All of your Studebaker needs can be satisfied by our wonderful Studebaker Vendors in TW and here:
    studebakervendors.com

Depending on what quality of Muffler Shops are in your area, usually you find there are less than 1 in 12 if ANY that can weld up a system "by the seat of their pants" that fits as good as the Factory reproduction bolt-on systems from our Vendors.

There are usually; head pipe fit issues, rattle issues, pipes riding hard on the emergency brake cables which cross them, and visual fit issues with the "through the the gravel pan" rear exits.

Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC forum, Clint. You will throughly enjoy Turning Wheels and locating your nearest Local Chapter of SDC.

You have a Great Car there, I have a Power Hawk that my Dad sold new, that we have owned since 1962 and I can tell you they are one of the best!
    Last edited by StudeRich; 01-30-2012, 06:29 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

StudeRich,
      Thanks for the info. Already get Turning Wheels but I am traveling this week, decided to start researching this evening, and don't have a copy with me. Not a member of a local chapter though as I have not found one in Greensboro-Winston Salem NC. Thanks again for the info!

Comment

Clint, check your pm in upper right corner.
        Originally posted by cbabcock View Post
        StudeRich,
        Thanks for the info. Already get Turning Wheels but I am traveling this week, decided to start researching this evening, and don't have a copy with me. Not a member of a local chapter though as I have not found one in Greensboro-Winston Salem NC. Thanks again for the info!
        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Even coming from Canada, Silvertone's prices are better than Parks', and the quality is second to none. And Don Simmons is a looong time Stude nutt, and a great guy to deal with. With Don, you can also save shipping by ordering, then pickup at a Stude meet, i.e. South Bend this May or July.

Comment

Clint: Don Simmons (Silvertone Exhaust) usually vends at York.

If you order ahead of time, he will deliver to York and save you a bunch on shipping. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks I will contact them both.

Comment

Working...
              X