Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about 1948 Studebaker film "Wheel Sense"

Hi, Studenuts.

Todd Ruel here from the Gone Autos web site.

I just purchased a 16mm copy of the 1948 Studebaker drivers' education film "Wheel Sense." (You can watch it on YouTube starting here.)

Something about this film puzzles me, and I'm wondering if you Studebaker historians out there can help me.

The film has a 1948 copyright date. The main character drives a red 1948 or '49 Starlight Coupe. But later in the film, there's footage of a 1953 Loewy Coupe being tested on the proving grounds.

Here's my question: how could this film feature cars from 1948/49 and 1953 if the film was copyrighted in 1948? Did Studebaker release this film and then go back and insert newer footage in later prints? (Does that mean there are a few different versions?)

Can any of you Studebaker detectives help me understand this?

Thanks in advance. -----Todd Ruel

Todd,
    I've had 2 16mm prints of this film and both of them had the 53' stuff spliced on at the end of the film. This must have been an update as these films were used in schools for many years.
    Tom

Comment

Thanks, Tom

I appreciate the info.

Does anyone have any prints of this film with earlier cars? Has anyone ever seen an earlier version of this film?

---Todd Ruel
      Gone Autos: Tools for Living the Orphan Car Life

Comment

Working...
      X