PDA

View Full Version : What is the "Polish" dinner at the AOAI international meet this year?

Bill Pressler
01-30-2012, 09:24 AM
Someone asked me about it, and I have no idea....I know some events may have the word 'polish' (like 'polish the car') in them...or is it a Polish dinner, with food from Poland or Polish folks?!

Seriously, I have the question!

Thanks.

stupak
01-30-2012, 03:24 PM
It's just for Polish members of the AOAI, or, your Avanti must have been built in Poland ! stupak

garyash
01-30-2012, 03:50 PM
It's a seven-course meal: a kielbasa sausage and a six-pack, Zywiec beer if available.

JBOYLE
01-30-2012, 09:05 PM
Think of the trouble we'd have if Meguiar's polish was polish?

BobGlasscock
01-31-2012, 07:54 AM
I think it is a buffet provided by mbstude.

Dwain G.
01-31-2012, 09:17 AM
As you may know, a huge part of the population in the South Bend area is of Polish descent. Since the dinner will be at the museum, I suppose it will be catered by one of the local Polish restaurants. Don't know what they're serving; maybe a sampler of popular dishes.

Bill Pressler
02-01-2012, 03:40 AM
As you may know, a huge part of the population in the South Bend area is of Polish descent. Since the dinner will be at the museum, I suppose it will be catered by one of the local Polish restaurants. Don't know what they're serving; maybe a sampler of popular dishes.

Thanks Dwain; that's as logical an answer as I think is out there!

Welcome
02-01-2012, 07:35 AM
Someone asked me about it, and I have no idea....I know some events may have the word 'polish' (like 'polish the car') in them...or is it a Polish dinner, with food from Poland or Polish folks?! Seriously, I have the question! Thanks.

The "Polish (style) Dinner" ...at least what it has evolved into now days around South Bend is:

Polish Sausage (Kielbasa)
Breaded & baked Chicken
Mashed Potatoes & Gravy
Noodles (Kluski)
Seasoned Green Beans
Sweet-sour Cabbage
Dinner Rolls & Butter

There can of course be variations to the above; i.e. cooked ham in addition to fried chichen OR in lieu of.

Many restaurants, clubs & organizations around South Bend feature "Polish (style) Dinner" specials, so even if can't make the AOAI's dinner, you can still find one and ENJOY!!!:o

Both of the Honkers Restaurants on Saturdays from 3-8 pm offer a "Polish Dinner Buffet." Their advertising current claims to have been; "VOTED BEST POLISH DINNER IN MICHIANA!" (Michiana - meaning in the greater South Bend area).

lschuc
02-01-2012, 12:32 PM
There are several restaurants in South Bend that promote these Polish Dinners and the AOAI dinner is coming from the Skillet Restaurants which the Museum highly recommended and meet co-directors Mike Baker and Max Starkey sampled it and it is excellent.

The menu will be your choice of Broasted or skillet baked chicken, The Skillets special recipe Polish Sausage, Kluski Noodles, Mashed Potates and gravey, Sweet and Sour Cabbage, Seasoned Green Beans, Skillet Biscuits & Honey , a Dessert Bar and drinks for $20.00 Bucks which includes entry to the Museum. I have been wanting to write promoting this Polish Buffet and our guest speakers, especially Dan Booth,Jon Myers and Roger Penn. I believe these three men are the greatest authorities on the Avanti in the world and they will have a question and answer session in which they will answer any Avanti related questions directed to them. Mike is also bringing in Bob Andrews sons to speak on the Avanti clay models .

Bill Pressler
02-01-2012, 04:09 PM
There are several restaurants in South Bend that promote these Polish Dinners and the AOAI dinner is coming from the Skillet Restaurants which the Museum highly recommended and meet co-directors Mike Baker and Max Starkey sampled it and it is excellent.

The menu will be your choice of Broasted or skillet baked chicken, The Skillets special recipe Polish Sausage, Kluski Noodles, Mashed Potates and gravey, Sweet and Sour Cabbage, Seasoned Green Beans, Skillet Biscuits & Honey , a Dessert Bar and drinks for $20.00 Bucks which includes entry to the Museum. I have been wanting to write promoting this Polish Buffet and our guest speakers, especially Dan Booth,Jon Myers and Roger Penn. I believe these three men are the greatest authorities on the Avanti in the world and they will have a question and answer session in which they will answer any Avanti related questions directed to them. Mike is also bringing in Bob Andrews sons to speak on the Avanti clay models .

Thank you Lew. The 'Mary Anne' who has been mentioned on this forum, on the AOAI Forum, and the AACA Forum--the one whose 'new' Avanti serial no. R-2837 was just found last week in Ocala, FL--is thinking about seeing what a South Bend meet is all about, along with her husband Jerry. She asked me about the Polish dinner and I had no idea! She is a new AOAI member by the way. I think it'd be great to show her in person what a great group both the SDC and the AOAI are!

Dwain G.
02-01-2012, 11:51 PM
I was hoping they would come to the meet. As a teen I lived just west of where they live now. Would like to talk with them.

Bill Pressler
02-02-2012, 07:43 AM
I was hoping they would come to the meet. As a teen I lived just west of where they live now. Would like to talk with them.

I hope they come, too, Dwain. I told Mary Anne in an email she's most likely never seen as many Avantis in one place as she would at the meet this summer!

Mary Anne
02-03-2012, 04:22 PM
South Bend, here we come! Jerry is up for the Kielbasa, and I'm ready to dig into the fried chicken! Then we'll go see as many Avantis as we can. I'd just like to drive one home forever... We are both looking forward to meeting all of you.

BobPalma
02-03-2012, 09:36 PM
South Bend, here we come! Jerry is up for the Kielbasa, and I'm ready to dig into the fried chicken! Then we'll go see as many Avantis as we can. I'd just like to drive one home forever... We are both looking forward to meeting all of you.

'Looking forward to meeting you and seeing you have a good time, Mary Anne.

Be sure to bring your check book, too, if you're at all serious. I can't imagine there not being an Avanti or two for sale, possibly something to your liking.

If you bought it in Indiana while the license branch was open, you could even buy a drive-away plate to let you legally drive it home. ('Better and easier to bring your own spare plate, though; plates stay with the seller in Indiana.) BP

Mary Anne
02-05-2012, 08:23 PM
No worries - I'll talk my way out of a ticket if without legal plate!!! Howerver, thanks for the heads up on Indiana's regs. Thanks, Bob.

woodysrods
02-05-2012, 09:26 PM
Sounds like weiners and sourkrout to me???
Good Roads
Brian

Marie Mac
03-22-2012, 12:09 PM
Thanks all...I figured on the kielbasa--glad to hear there's chicken also...hope to be there!.....Marie

satdoc2
03-22-2012, 01:09 PM
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj76/satdoc/157.jpg
I'm hungry!
Allen

Welcome
03-22-2012, 01:28 PM
Thanks all...I figured on the kielbasa--glad to hear there's chicken also...hope to be there!.....Marie

Not so quick, Marie!!!;):D I just updated the information in my Post #8