fuel system restoration- road draft tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: fuel system restoration- road draft tube

(62 hawk 259 engine.) I started to sand blasted the 4 barrel intake I am going to use and I want to keep the fuel system clean. I also am thinking about filling the old brass choke intake plug (2 small holes) with solder so it looks like the other side when painted. Do you think solder will hold heat (exhaust is blocked of on both sides of intake)
    I got the hawk up on jack stands, there is a filter on the tank and it is filled with rust, (not surprised) I need to find a good place to have a gas tank restored, hopefully in phoenix, any information is always helpful.
    I want to replace the metal fuel line it looks like a 3/8 steel tube attached to the frame rail any advise on this replacement on type of line to use.
    I installed my valley pan and road draft tube and noticed there is not support on the road draft tube. At 1 time I imagine there was perhaps a loop that fit snugly around the tube and attached to a bell housing bolt ? That is how I am thinking about providing some support to the tube but if there is an eaiser way or better known fix thank you in advance for sharing it.
    The spring shackle bushings are a memory what would be best replacement bushings and shocks.
    The dual exhaust is in need of attention. The passengers side muffler looks wrong (different shape than drivers side) and it is very close to the drive shaft, any suggestion.
    I was wondering if I should use an exhaust pipe adapter as close to the engine as possible so I could increase the size of the pipes. I am thinking this will provide better breathing for engine.

again thanking you in advance for your help k-hawk

Your 'Right On' with the loose road draft tube fix.

Comment

thanks for the feed back, I bet it is cold in Massachusetts tonight.

Comment

I also am thinking about filling the old brass choke intake plug (2 small holes) with solder so it looks like the other side when painted. Do you think solder will hold heat (exhaust is blocked of on both sides of intake)
        IMO solder probably won't hold up. But a lot of people put JB weld in the two holes and it works ok.
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The best deal I could come up with for shocks was Gabriel Classics #82026 ( front) $34.93 for a pair including shipping from Fruitridgetool.com. I bought the rear Gabriel Classics 82060 at Amazon.com. The fronts had all the mounting parts. The rear had mounting studs for the bottom but the top hole was too large for the original bolts so I used a sleeve over it.
          I replaced the rear spring bushing with new parts from Studebaker Int. but found the rear bushings were longer than the originals so I measured and ground some from each end with an angle grinder.

Comment

Working...
          X