No announcement yet.

New to Studebakers, want sound advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Studebakers, want sound advice.

I have the opportunity to pick up a '64 Studebaker Commando with a title, the original i6 motor and tranny, already stripped down to prep for paint, for a very comfortable price ($500). Thing is, I know little to nothing about this car or Studebakers in general - with exception to my '72 Riviera (a gift when I was 8 from the original owner), I've always stuck with what I know I can find parts for (ex: '64 Ford Falcon, '48 Chevy Thriftmaster). I don't doubt the engine on this car will be pretty much the same as most other engines I've worked with but the fact that I can't seem to find much info on it or the auto tranny that I would rather swap for a manual is rather bothersome. Any help would be much appreciated. I have the day off so I'm gonna try and go have a look at it and maybe shake hands on a deal made.

Parts are no problem for that car. Body or mech. The are several venders on the form plus Studebaker International. Should also think about Studebaker Drivers club and maybe a local club.
    Klif
    55 Speedster/Street Machine
    63 Avanti R2
    64 Convertible R1

Comment

Lack of parts or not knowing if parts are available is a common concern. Good news there are a surprising number of parts available. Check out this link, should keep you busy for awhile. http://www.studebakervendors.com/
      TDITS The Dude In The Stude

Comment

Not a problem with that Commander on parts, knowldege, or really even prices. You may seem to have trouble finding stuff just looking thru a phone directory or even online, but you have found the best resource here with the SDC {studebaker drivers club} 99.9% of the folks here are helpful and many have parts and pieces you will need and usually at an affordable price.

Studebakers International is a company that has specialized in buying out old dealers and suppliers stock and cataloging them and selling them at a fair rate. On top of that you have alot of hobbiest who deal in Stude parts like Stude Pacific NW {I think that is the name?} is a regular poster name StudeRich and his son StudeDave. They do it as a hobby but have alot of parts. Then there is Bob of candbstudebakers who specializes in finding Studes and stripping them down and selling the parts and even whole cabs, chassis and cars. There are many other vendors of various services like mbstude who repairs and polishes the chrome and SS trim on Studes. JDP who puts together interior kits and upholstery {I think he is selling off that part of his business} and then there are many other folks who just have alot of stuff and are willing to part with some of them like Skip Lackey and Roscowmacaw.

These are just a few and this site is full of good folks like that who will happily throw you info, knowledge, parts, and even a helping hand at times.
        Buy the car, and you will love it.

Welcome to the site and have a blast with your new car.
        Kelly

Comment

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your Stude. I can get Stude parts delivered from SDC members quicker than the garage next door can get parts for a Ford, GM or Chrysler. It's the club and the people! It won't take long to get familiar with that car and then you will wonder what took you so long tyo get into it. It all starts right here. I've had many local back yard mechanics spew out untruths about Studes. They couldn't hold a candle to the knowledge available at the stroke of a key, right here. Ask away. There is no such thing as a stupid question.
          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Welcome
            There's a vast amount of info, help, knowledge and support from those that are avid Studebaker folk and forum members. Sound like a good deal on the Commander, is it 2 door or 4? In lookin at the car, understand Studebaker had options from the factory you got whether ya wanted them or not. They're rust options in peculiar places. A few are, verical line bout 8 to 10 inches from the rear edge of front fenders, bottom of hinge pillar and sorrounding floorboard and where rear fenders bolted to the body visible from inside of trunk. Trunk pans and corners as well. The up side of these problem areas,parts are available for them and not a difficult fix.
            Not trying to discourage ya, but first thing I'd do is find a Stude V8 for it. Someone here can probably point ya to a V8/auto trans combo. There have been many stories told about the ohv Stude sixes here. The problem is cracking between the valve seats. I've had way too much experience with the ohv 6 and freely caution anyone about them.
            Studebakers are great cars, easy to work on, parts readily availible and in the collector car world overall are less expensive to restore, own and operate. As an example, 64-66 front fenders and aprons are still out there for cheap. I managed to buy all front sheet metal, except hood for under 4 bills. 4 dr. rear fenders are very common. The Lark bodied cars are the most economical to start with.
            Studebaker Driver's Club has a website that will open the door the Studebaker world. The cars and people are fun.
            I wish ya well with your project,
            Kim

Comment

Thanks folks. I'm going to go check this thing out in a little bit. I'm sure I'll have a thousand more questions, haha.

Comment

The hardest thing to find for a 1964 Commander will be an NOS Deck lid. Everything else is available and a lot cheaper than any '64 Chevy, Ford or Chrysler part. Why do you think many on this forum are known CASO's. FYI you will come across this acronym a lot if you start to read old posts. For many simple questions about motor, transmission, differential components or info on your Commander you may want to try the search function on the forum.

You already found the best place on the net for information about Studebaker's. BTW CASO = Cheap @ss Studebaker Owner (Just because I know your going ask)

Welcome to the forum, your going to love that little Studebaker

Allen
                1964 GT Hawk
                PSMCDR 2014
                Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                PSMCDR 2013
                Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me View Post
                  Welcome to the forum, your going to love that little Studebaker
                  Brings back memories for you, doesn't it, Allen? IIRC, a '64 Commander was also your first Studebaker, or was it a 6-cylinder Daytona?

Craig
                  Last edited by 8E45E; 01-25-2012, 03:26 PM.

Comment

CASO - I like that, thnx Allen

Comment

Sounds like you're talking about the one on Oklahoma City Craigs since you mentioned already stripped for paint. If that one doesn't work out there's ac ouple more nearby on the Tulsa Craigs for just a little more $. Seems like there's another a little farther on maybe the Fort Smith Arkansas Craigs as well.

Welcome to Studebakers and be sure and join SDC. There's a local chapter where you are that would be a great help as well as Sudedude( Ossifer Dave) from nearby Perkins.
                      Last edited by snowy_buffalo; 01-25-2012, 12:25 PM.
                      \'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
                      \'64 Daytona HT

Comment

Ossifer Dave is in near Stillwater like Perkins

Comment

Originally posted by ST2DE5 View Post
                          Ossifer Dave is in near Stillwater like Perkins
                          Carl, I knew Dave was near Stillwater but couldn't think of the right city until I read another thread that he had posted on. I came back and edited mine apparently while you where posting the correction for me.
                          \'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
                          \'64 Daytona HT

Comment

Raz,
                            Are ya a Studebaker owner yet?
                            Kim

Comment

Raz...new member/owner? Pics?
                              Hopefully welcome....

Comment

Working...
                              X