This does concern me..........we could use some "new blood"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This does concern me..........we could use some "new blood"

Long story short: my fiance and I went to the Studebaker meet at the auto museum this past Saturday and what struck me was the avg. age of most of the participants. I was one of the relative "babies" and I'll be 55 this year. The people there were def young at heart admittedly.
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Pierce, this is why new SDC President Tom Curtis needs every SDCer's support for the marketing concerns / plan he outlined in the January 2012 Turning Wheels.

Please read (or re-read) Tom's remarks and then lend your support by expressing same to your SDC Zone Co-Ordinator. He's listed in the rearmost matter of every Turning Wheels. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

We talked about this at work today, and a point was made that our cars (Studebakers and others) could never mean the same to the young folk simply because they didn't grow up, and grow old, with them.

Comment

I have to agree that the SDC needs some new, younger members. It seems that even in South Bend my generation has at least heard of Studebaker, but many have never even seen one. I think a lot of the younger generation is somewhat underexposed to Studebakers, and even the classic car hobby as a whole. I know the SNM is trying some new things to attract my generation, but the kids also need to want to check out the car hobby. From what I have seen, it seems that many of my generation just don't care about "old stuff", cars, history, etc. I try to do my part to expose my Studebaker to some of my friends who wouldn't otherwise drive a classic car, but where does it go from there? Sad to say, guys like Matt Burnette, Dylan Wills, and myself are somewhat rare I think.
        Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
          We talked about this at work today, and a point was made that our cars (Studebakers and others) could never mean the same to the young folk simply because they didn't grow up, and grow old, with them.
          I agree. The only reason I'm into Studes is because, even though I'm just shy of 22, I grew up with the cars. My family's hobby is Studebakers. If I hadn't have been brought up around them, then I'd have no reason or interest in old cars at all.

Comment

Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
            Long story short: my fiance and I went to the Studebaker meet at the auto museum this past Saturday and what struck me was the avg. age of most of the participants. I was one of the relative "babies" and I'll be 55 this year. The people there were def young at heart admittedly.

Comment

My GT Hawk never fails to draw attention whenever I drive it anywhere, I always have to give myself a little extra time when I go to the grocery store to stop and answer questions. A lot of young people want to know what it is. I get guesses ranging from Thunderbird? to Mercedes?, even one kid thought it was a Rolls-Royce !!!???. Old guys (my age) often think it's a Silver Hawk.... well, it IS silver!! It's not a show car by any means but I do enter in a show now and then and it gets a LOT of attention, gives show goers a break from the 100s of Chevys and Fords and most are surprised to know there was a "muscle car" before Pontiac GTOs.

Comment

Each one of these feeds the other one, for example: More 'drives' in your car may lead to invitations to a mixed car show., More mixed car shows may lead to a magazine write up.

A large SDC meet out in the open may lead to some TV coverage, and obviously more public gets to see them on show day. (like the Phoenix International meet)

More members need to drive when they can
                More car shows with 'mixed makes and hot rods'
                More zone meets on 'main street' instead of tucked away whenever possible.
                More parades
                More calls to local TV when meets happen
                More members on the forums, not just this one!
                More magazine exposure, interested readers may just go hunting for a new Stude.

Comment

Speaking of television coverage, any chance we may get some national news coverage at this years national meet in celebration of the club's 50th anniversary?
                  As for attracting younger members, it seems hopeless to me unless more Studebakers get lots of exposure in popular movies and television shows. I dont see many young people attending typical car shows therefor few will see Studebakers there. I suppose the only practical and realistic way of exposing the younger generations to Studes is to drive them more often, use them for commuting to work on nice days and use them to run to the store for groceries and enter them in parades (even if they are not in show condition). Just be sure the Studebaker name badges are apparent so that people know that it is indeed a Studebaker!
                  sigpic
                  In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

The only factory "badge" on my Hawk is the little 1/2" STUDEBAKER-HAWK lettering that appears on the bottom of the trunk overlay. The Gran Turismo script evokes comments like, "Oh yea, I saw the black one in that Clint Eastwood movie!" I do get a lot of people asking me where they could find a Studebaker when they find out what it is and I refer them to the SDC.

Comment

Did anyone suggested donating past issues of member's turning wheels to school's libraries or shop classes (if they still have them)?

Comment

simple answer: the cars have to get out on the roads more.....I have so many exchanges about my car at the gas station !! Everyone will say the same. The gas station is the donut shop, the watering fountain, or the burger joint for old car interest. Most people at car shows have 4-5 cars or 4-5 cameras...! The expansion is beyond a zone or regional meet. It is beyond 1/2 price memberships to family members.....family members.........reminds me of the budding artist who sold paintings to his family.....pretty soon you run out of family....See Stude parts' prices. What does it cost for a young person to buy a Lark and prepare it for safe drving ? Sad math...

I will be posting on the tech pages today on a problem many here never face...nor want to ever face: see wiper operation.....:-)

Comment

Take your Stude to multi-make car shows. Show the people the other side of the coin. People have been brainwashed into thinking that if you ain't drivin a tri-5 Chebbie or some other overly rated Big Three offering there is no alternative. BS of course. Studebaker invented "COOL" not the club. If you don't attend multi make shows how do you expect to grow the club. You've got to campaign your Studebaker if you are concerned. I give away my Turning Wheels to any body at the car shows that express interest in my car. I don't have enough copies. One question I get is "where do you get parts"? I tell them of the 12,000 plus membership of the club and I also have a bunch of last years SI catalogues that ED Renoylds sent me. I give them out too. cheers jimmijim
                          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

We need Top Gear to feature Studebakers in a show.
                            "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I agree with driving them and showing them up town, down town, multi make meets... Even children are drawn to a shiny sporty car. Hand out old TWs, or The Sudebaker Story and tell people about the website and forum. Be the Stude Ambassador and get the marque some exposure and market penetration. We're aging, but the cars are timeless.
                              Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Working...
                              X