Gloveboxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gloveboxes

Were there any other post-war Studebakers that did not have gloveboxes or was the '55 Speedster the only one? Anyone have a reason they omitted same ?
    Thanks, Dan

Not sure if this counts, but some Scotsman trucks don't have glovebox doors.
    Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by CarCrosswordDan View Post
      Were there any other post-war Studebakers that did not have gloveboxes or was the '55 Speedster the only one?<<<Thanks, Dan
      IIRC, NO post-war Studebaker cars had a "Glovebox!"

Studebaker Engineering Dept.'s nomenclature was "Instrument Board Compartment" and their Marketing Dept. jazzed that name up a little for consumer consumption and called it a "Package Compartment."

Comment

Welcome, plug in your own, or anyone else's, definition of what that compartment in the dash is called, the question is still open. Thanks, Dan

Comment

Does anyone actually keep gloves in there glovebox .
          I suppose I might , If my box insert was still in place . ( MIA. )

Comment

Dan, I'm pretty sure the Speedster was the only model ever made without a glove box. Instead, it had a little compartment made into the passenger side kick panel.

Comment

Originally posted by CarCrosswordDan View Post
              Welcome, plug in your own, or anyone else's, definition of what that compartment in the dash is called, the question is still open. Thanks, Dan
              So you got this so-called "glovebox" in the so-called "dash" ...so now what's a "dash"? ...something like Studebaker's "Instrument Board"??? Your Welcome, Jim

Comment

A map pocket served the purpose on the '55 Speedster only, the '55 Coupes and Hardtops have a conventional Box on the right side, like '53-'54.

I was just thinking about the CENTER Gloveboxes just yesterday, thinking about how many years Studebaker located those in the most convenient place where most makes did not. That would be late '55 Sedans/Wagons and all '56 to '60 Except Hawks, and '60 to '64 Champ Trucks.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

To: CarCrosswordDan-----You mentioned the '55 Speedsters lack of a glovebox--good question-- did Studebaker not put a glovebox in that model because they thought that side pouch looked 'sporty', or did they
                  have a problem intergrating a glovebox into the plastic (Royalite?) dashboard? I don't know, but I sure think they improved things in '56 by including one in the new Hawk dashboards!

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    That would be late '55 Sedans/Wagons and all '56 to '60 Except Hawks, and '60 to '64 Champ Trucks.
                    The 1956 model year was the first to have the center glove compartment.

Craig

Comment

Welcome, always appreciate the clarifications. As usual, you're right. Dan

Comment

My 51 Henry J has no Glove box! they didn't come out with one until 1953.
                        Good roads
                        Brian
                        PS
                        No trunk lid either.
                        Brian Woods
                        woodysrods@shaw.ca
                        1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

OK Craig you GOT me! You made me look! I first typed '56, then I remembered the late '55's with Wraparound Windshield had a completely new Instrument Panel and I thought they moved the glove Box along with the new Windshield change, but I could not look at a Car because that is one of the few Post War Studes. I have never, and will never own, so I had to check the Body Parts Catalog!

Now that I think about it, I guess I have had them all except the TWO Cars I have no desire to own, the '55's and '62's.
                          Last edited by StudeRich; 01-23-2012, 07:53 PM.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                          X