64 Hawk carb quandry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 Hawk carb quandry

The Carter AFB on my hawk is a 4053s. is this peculiar. Also The engine block and oil pan are red while the heads and intake are black. Is this normal. By the way got her running today. The problem is gas is shooting from the carb, been sitting for about 6-8 years. A carb rebuild is in order but now the model no. is strange. oh well. If anyone can help it would save me some head scratchin.

Just my opinion, but unless you care about having a completely original vehicle, I'd go buy and install a new Edelbrock. They are pretty much (with a minor modification) bolt on for a Carter AFB. Way less trouble and probably less than a rebuild unless you do it yourself.

BTW a '64 Stude V8 would have a black block and intake manifold with yellow valve covers and orange oil filler caps and fan if stock. Unless it's an R series engine, then things change, but certainly not a red oil pan and block.
    Last edited by Mark57; 01-21-2012, 02:33 PM.
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

I forgot to mention when I went to get points I discovered that the car has a delco distributor in it.

Comment

That appears to be from a 1966 Buick 401, possibly other GM cars too.
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Hey Wiley, I rebuilt my AFB a couple of times. Mine is an R2 so I needed a different kit than I bought the first time. There's a guy in NY that is a wizard on those AFB's He has kits and metering rods and jets anything you need. I'll give you his number if you want.

Comment

Well think about it, a Carb. for a 401 c.i.d. Engine on a 289 Engine, how well do you think the Engine will run or LAST, with way too much Fuel pouring in there washing down the Oil in the Cylinders, burning Oil and way too much Fuel?
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Well think about it, a Carb. for a 401 c.i.d. Engine on a 289 Engine, how well do you think the Engine will run or LAST, with way too much Fuel pouring in there washing down the Oil in the Cylinders, burning Oil and way too much Fuel?
              Going to respectfully disagree on this one. While the big Buick carb probably has a few more CFM than the Studebaker needs, it is not guaranteed to be running so rich as to cause the catastrophe Rich described.

Carburetors are a self regulating mechanism. Air flow pulls in fuel. Less air demand from a smaller cubic inch engine pulls in less fuel. A carburetor with larger than necessary throttle bores will be less responsive to sudden throttle openings than a correctly sized unit. The resulting air/fuel ratio may be too rich or too lean for the smaller engine, but that is not determined by the bore size, but by the jetting. The only way to know is to have it checked by the proper equipment.

FWIW, I've seen cars with similar carb substitutions which were operating within the correct air/fuel ratio range. Your results may vary.

jack vines
              Last edited by PackardV8; 01-22-2012, 10:10 AM.
              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
              X