Back to Studes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to Studes

I haven't owned a Studebaker for a couple of years now. Ever since I sold my Avanti...

I think part of it was that I needed a break from something I was doing too much of (I have a short attention span ). Some of it was I was soured on the forum because of the political posts...which seem to now be gratefully in short supply...thank you moderators, but a much bigger thanks to the members here for showing that courtesy to our fellow members. It is refreshing to come here and not have to wade through politics to find the Studebakering.

Even my car projects slowed down somewhat. Like JDP, I came out of retirement and back into the REAL business world. I am doing some consulting (operations, logistics, supply chain management) and find I really enjoy it. I have managed a few over the last couple of years, however.

This 35,000 mile '62 Corvair...

This '71 MGB Roadster...

This '69 GT...

Even a 1965 Raysoncraft V-drive drag boat...

When Pat's Wagonaire came along, I just couldn't resist.

Gonna put some stuff on eBay

It reminds me so much of the '63 Daytona Hardtop project that I got from Roscomacaw. I dragged that one home exactly this time 3 years ago...snowing hard over the Siskiyous and into central Oregon...

I'm having Pat's transported for the above reason.

I had already purchased the Kart Hauler the month before, and started on BOTH of them at the same time. (It helps my short attention span to have two projects going at once). I got about this far with the Daytona...

...when the Kart Hauler was invited to the GNRS and I determined I need to focus on it in order to finish it in time for the show.

I did finish the Daytona soon after the GNRS, however, and I was very happy with how it turned out. Bob had done an excellent job with the body and paint and with collecting parts for the car...

(I think it goes without saying that Bob didn't collect the Chevy engine and transmission )

Anyway, I'm itchin' to start on Pat's Wagonaire. It should be delivered here in a couple of weeks. I think the Wagonaire was one of Studebaker's milestone cars. Even though they didn't sell in big numbers, the sliding roof was quite the unique feature that surfaced years later in a GM SUV and the basic shape was duplicated in the 28 year run of the Jeep Wagoneer (1963-1991).

I'll chronicle the restoration of the car here on the forum. I would hope that others do the same with their Studes...like "the old days" here. It is interesting for me to see members' cars come together and I would think it would be for others also.

Thanks again, Pat, for the screamin' deal. I hope I can do your car justice.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Good luck Dick, I look forward to seeing the Wagonaire come together.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

So Dick,you now have the wagon.as I said in that post,it's gonna make someone "you" a super nice Studebaker when done.would be nice to see pics of body inside and out.
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Glad to see you back with a Stude project Dick. I could read project threads all day, so I can't wait! They keep me motivated enough to try and get something done on my old beaters. Maybe if I got down to one, more would get done........
        Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

Nice project. Some very cool non Stude cars as well. Can't wait to see the build.

Comment

Welcome back to the dark side, Dick!
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

If you present future progress reports as well as you set it up with this thread (and I have no doubt you will)...we will be eagerly awaiting your next installment. Following your exploits with the Kart Hauler was the best ever! Keep it up!
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Welcome back Dick

I'm glad to see your back building Studes because your cars always look great when they're done. You have a knack for picking great projects.

I should try to take a lesson from you on how to pick them initially.

Bob

Comment

MAN O MAN - I want a ride in the boat!!!!

take care

george o

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post

I should try to take a lesson from you on how to pick them initially.

Bob
                    No lesson needed. You picked three darned nice ones!
                    Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by george o View Post
                      MAN O MAN - I want a ride in the boat!!!!

take care

george o
                      A hot rod on the water for sure. It was only a 326 Pontiac, but I could never stay in it all the way to redline. With no windshield and being a foot off the water (coupled with the fact that I am a big chicken), 50 MPH seemed like 100+.

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Awesome!
                        I'm working on a 67 Buick Skylark Convertible, But have several clients Studes lined up for future work.
                        Bez Auto Alchemy
                        573-318-8948
                        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Really looking forward to one of your builds again. Thanks for letting us watch.
                          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                          50 Champion 2 door*
                          53 Commander K Auto*
                          53 Commander K overdrive*
                          55 President Speedster
                          62 GT 4Speed*
                          63 Avanti R1*
                          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Happy days are here again!
                            sigpic
                            Dave Lester

Comment

Yay Dick!
                              As you know, I think your build threads are the best thing about this forum. You make the rest of us try just a bit harder to get things done, and get them done right!
                              I really look forward to this one, because I've been a longroof guy for many years (none of them Studes yet, tho)
                              sigpic
                              JohnP, driving & reviving
                              60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

Working...
                              X