PDA

View Full Version : Deck Lid "Spare Tire Decoration" Clarification

CarCrosswordDan
01-19-2012, 10:12 AM
Was the deck lid "Spare Tire Decoration" available on any model prior to 1958? Was it standard equipment on any '58 Studebaker or Packard model ? Thanks, Dan

brngarage
01-19-2012, 11:16 AM
'58 Packard Hawk for sure.

hausdok
01-19-2012, 12:06 PM
Hi,

According to the 53-58 Studebaker and 57-58 Packard Body Parts Catalog that I have (Page 346):

Part number 1327181P COVER, deck lid Ctontinental wheel is standard equipment on model K9 (Hawk); but..
Part number AC-2929 COVER KIT, Continental wheel was available as an accessory for body styles K3 to K7 and for body style J.

To download a free copy of the catalog, CLICK HERE (http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/view.article.php?82)

CarCrosswordDan
01-19-2012, 12:26 PM
Hausdok, to clarify, this is for 1958 models only, correct ? Thanks, Dan

hausdok
01-19-2012, 12:48 PM
Hi,

Yes, it was standard equipment on the Packard Hawk only and the P.H. was only produced in '58.

It's listed as an available accessory for all 1958 K3 thru K7 and the J bodies and only for 58L which is the Packard.

That said, there's nothing to preclude someone from plunking on on the rear deck of any Studebaker K body or J body; it just wouldn't be "correct."

klifton1
01-19-2012, 01:32 PM
If it will fit the J bodys it should also work on the sedans, just not be correct, right ????
Klif

8E45E
01-19-2012, 01:37 PM
If it will fit the J bodys it should also work on the sedans, just not be correct, right ????

Yes! There's a small inset photo of one on a '58 sedan in the 1958 Accessories Catalog reprinted on this thread: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?9851-Input-on-58-color-scheme-and-int./page3&highlight=panther

Craig

tbredehoft
01-19-2012, 02:20 PM
Not that I would do it, but since it fits on all K bodies, it certainly should fit on any C body, too.

52hawk
01-19-2012, 02:30 PM
I have one for my Hawk,[61] but can't decide if I want it on the car or not!

hausdok
01-19-2012, 09:38 PM
I have one for my Hawk,[61] but can't decide if I want it on the car or not!Well, if you don't want to use it and you want to let it go, shoot me a PM and maybe we can work something out. Rusty Hawk arrived from Southern California without his fake spare and when I called the dealer he claimed the folks that had him threw it away. I think the dealer was just too lazy to drive 150 miles back to the seller's house to look for it, but I had no proof, so....

bezhawk
01-20-2012, 07:04 AM
It is my understanding that the ones available as a Studebaker option was NOT the same one as on the Packard Hawk!

CarCrosswordDan
01-20-2012, 08:10 AM
bezhawk, perhaps the Packard Hawk units were actuall embossed into the deck lid and the others were simply bolt on units. I can't decipher from the photographs I have available. Good observation, thanks. Dan

studegary
01-20-2012, 12:45 PM
bezhawk, perhaps the Packard Hawk units were actuall embossed into the deck lid and the others were simply bolt on units. I can't decipher from the photographs I have available. Good observation, thanks. Dan

No, they were not "...embossed into the deck lid..." Packard Hawks used the same deck lid as 1953-1955 C/K models.

hausdok
01-20-2012, 12:58 PM
bezhawk, perhaps the Packard Hawk units were actuall embossed into the deck lid and the others were simply bolt on units. I can't decipher from the photographs I have available. Good observation, thanks. DanNope, as Gary has already said - not embossed. I think the reason that folks think they're embossed in so many photos is that in a lot of the photos of repainted P.H.s I've seen the cover bead is missing and the covers are bolted directly onto the trunk lid. Once you paint the lid with the cover in place it looks seamless but is not "correct." For reference, the bead part number is 1327180. I'm looking for both the cover and the bead.

52hawk
01-20-2012, 04:36 PM
13415Does this look like the 'optional 'Stude one?

hausdok
01-20-2012, 05:38 PM
I don't know, because I've never seen one of the accessory kits.

It does not look like the one that came standard on the P.H. The one on the PH doesnt' have that chrome insert with the raised bead and it doesn't have that second embossed radius between the outer rim and the center recess. Here's a picture of one on a P.H. in a museum back east.

http://www.inspectorsjournal.com/forum/uploads/hausdok/2012120193718_PHFakeSpare.jpg

bezhawk
01-20-2012, 05:56 PM

Dan, I had a Packard Hawk, and they are a separate piece that is bolted on. There is a gasket/bead that goes between it and the deck lid. The spinner in the center has a stud on the bottom, and it is what holds the whole shebang together.

52hawk
01-20-2012, 08:08 PM
My cover looks like the one in the thread that 8e45e posted.That is the only reason I think my cover may be a Studebaker part.That,and it uses the same type of clips for the bolts through the trunk lid as Studebaker uses on much of the sheet metal attachment points all over the car.. The guy I bought it from thought it might be a Chrysler part,but did tell me for sure it was NOT correct for a Packard Hawk..Anyway,I've never seen one in person either,[except the Packard Hawk one]

hausdok
01-21-2012, 12:34 AM
It sounds like you're talking about pal nuts. If so, those are used by all the manufacturers for all attaching all sorts of stuff to sheetmetal. They aren't unique to Studebaker.

The drawing is kind of faded but I think you might be correct. Then again, I think I remember seeing those things for sale in the J.C. Penny catalog when I was a youngster. Hang on to it. You never know, you might come across a car with an identical one mounted one of these days and discover that it's a standard part for that particular car.