PDA

View Full Version : It's BAAAAAAAACK......

63 R2 Hawk
01-18-2012, 11:00 PM
The 18K mile S/N 1001 R2 Hawk on ebay, little different story this time. I guess he didn't make reserve. Maybe he'll answer questions this time?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Studebaker-GT-1963-Studebaker-GT-Hawk-/200702511659?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2ebacd4a2b

JDP
01-18-2012, 11:09 PM
The 18K mile S/N 1001 R2 Hawk on ebay, little different story this time. I guess he didn't make reserve. Maybe he'll answer questions this time?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Studebaker-GT-1963-Studebaker-GT-Hawk-/200702511659?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2ebacd4a2b

He ended it early again, saying it was no longer available for sale. Maybe a side deal fell through.

BobPalma
01-19-2012, 06:34 AM
The seller is to be commended for having a more accurate listing this time, not referring to it as a Super Hawk, among other thuings. Too, he has certainly been reading the forum, in that he did not post a photograph of the Serial Number plate this time around <GGG>.

Finally, that is the first Studebaker I've ever seen where the car's Serial Number numerals did, in fact, match the engine's Serial Number numerals. Purely coincidental, but very cool nonetheless. BP

8E45E
01-19-2012, 07:31 AM
The seller is to be commended for having a more accurate listing this time, not referring to it as a Super Hawk, among other thuings. Too, he has certainly been reading the forum, in that he did not post a photograph of the Serial Number plate this time around.

Yep, it looks like he posted the rather interesting Production Order in its place; something he didn't have in his previous listing.

Craig

Guido
01-19-2012, 11:41 AM
What is interesting is that the seller has been an e-Bay member since April 6, 2007 and has only received feedback on four transactions, the last being November 6, 2007. Without any apparent activity in the past 4 years he/she now has this car, a '57 Pontiac and 2 motorcycles listed.

Dick Steinkamp
01-19-2012, 11:55 AM
Yep, it looks like he posted the rather interesting Production Order in its place; something he didn't have in his previous listing.

Craig

...and "PILOT" on the production order lends credibility to the non standard SN plate that is essentially identical to the one posted by Matthew from another prototype.

The picture of the engine SN that matches the production order also helps back up the #1 story. If the body tag indicates body #103 that would be further verification, and if the SN on the rear frame crossmember matches, that would cinch it.

I'm not sure, however, that being the 1st supercharged GT Hawk would increase the value of the car much if any. What are the thoughts on this?

Roscomacaw
01-19-2012, 12:01 PM
My notion is that it doesn't mean much, Dick. Now if it were THE FIRST GT Hawk - I think that would carry some "cool" factor.

Edit: Having looked at the PO now, I might give this thing a BIT of wow in that it was built with and still carries THE FIRST production JTS engine. I think that's kinda neat.

(S)
01-19-2012, 12:15 PM
Oh, man that would be cool sitting next to the 1001 Avanti, or the 1001 64 Hawk, Both in Washington!!

63 R2 Hawk
01-19-2012, 12:16 PM
IIRC, the surplus JT & JTS crate motors, left over when Studebaker shut down US car production, weren't serialized so any number could be stamped on them... Not that this particular hawk is suspect, of course!

mbstude
01-19-2012, 12:20 PM
Interesting trivia... This car is the first R2 Hawk. Steve Doershlag stated that he owned the second R2 Hawk. Matt Frushour in Kentucky has the 3rd R2 Hawk.

How cool that the first 3 R2 Hawks are all still extant.

8E45E
01-19-2012, 01:00 PM
...and "PILOT" on the production order lends credibility to the non standard SN plate that is essentially identical to the one posted by Matthew from another prototype.

Thanks for noticing that, Dick!!! I looked at the P.O. on his new Ebay listing yesterday, and NEVER caught that! And I never did see a copy of it before when I posted the about the chances of it being a 'pilot' model with the probability of that serial number plate being 'hand-stamped' on the previous thread. Therefore, I now wonder the other four Bob mentions about in that post were also hand stamped.

Craig

(S)
01-19-2012, 01:15 PM
Craig,

If we had a picture of the plate from the 1st 64 GT my bet would be 'case closed' . I am pretty sure the font and style would match the plate Matt had, and this 63 plate that was in the ad.

studegary
01-19-2012, 02:52 PM
He only received the build sheet, via FAX, yesterday. He probably learned more about the Hawk at that time and changed his listing due to that and queries that he has received.

The car was built early on the pilot line to be a press car and auto show car (drain plug).

tbredehoft
01-19-2012, 02:52 PM
Notice, too, the engine serial No. does have I's instead of 1's and appears to have part of a Keystone inspection stamp.

gs-xnr
02-07-2012, 08:33 PM
I sent the seller a question asking the price. He sent a very short reply "The reserve is $105,000". Any takers?
Harvey

showbizkid
02-07-2012, 09:11 PM
Someone's been watching the Speed Channel! ;)

DEEPNHOCK
02-07-2012, 09:15 PM
IIRC, The prototype(?) GT Hawk with the T-bird roof was up on Ebay a few years ago, wasn't it?
Pretty rough, too.....

My notion is that it doesn't mean much, Dick. Now if it were THE FIRST GT Hawk - I think that would carry some "cool" factor.
Edit: Having looked at the PO now, I might give this thing a BIT of wow in that it was built with and still carries THE FIRST production JTS engine. I think that's kinda neat.

JeffDeWitt
02-07-2012, 10:04 PM
Interesting trivia... This car is the first R2 Hawk. Steve Doershlag stated that he owned the second R2 Hawk. Matt Frushour in Kentucky has the 3rd R2 Hawk.

How cool that the first 3 R2 Hawks are all still extant.

It's cool but I'm not sure it's all that surprising. After all the people who bought them knew they were destined to be pretty rare cars and they weren't cheap.

candbstudebakers
02-07-2012, 11:01 PM
I sent the seller a question asking the price. He sent a very short reply "The reserve is $105,000". Any takers?
Harvey

That kind of money it could at least have a battery hold down.

BobPalma
02-08-2012, 06:40 AM
That kind of money it could at least have a battery hold down.

Preach it, Bob! <GGG> BP

Bo Markham
02-08-2012, 07:00 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

My question is, if the car only has 18k miles on it, what parts would be so worn out that they would need replacing?

I'm not so certain that just because it's the first production car that it would make that big a difference in price. To be sure, the first and last should command some kind of price differentual, say an additional 20%. Now, if it were the only one, say the prototype for the production series, and in pristine condition, then I think it'd be spot on as far as value.

63 R2 Hawk
02-08-2012, 08:48 AM
There is green showing through the worn black steering wheel, that 18K miles must have all occured at Nurburgring. Kinda makes you wonder what other facts might be exaggerated. Still, it IS a decent looking GT Hawk with a supercharger...... it's worth SOMETHING, just not $105,000.

02-08-2012, 09:32 AM

Craig
Interesting item on the Production Order- gas tank drain plug. I don't remember ever seeing that.

studegary
02-08-2012, 01:07 PM
Interesting item on the Production Order- gas tank drain plug. I don't remember ever seeing that.

Note my post number 13.
Drain plugs were installed in cars destined for indoor auto shows. Fire laws required that the fuel tanks be drained. In later years, they sealed off the the filler opening.