Pretty cool pic of Dr. Cade's Studes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pretty cool pic of Dr. Cade's Studes

I came across this today.. Not even at all surprised that Stephen is lying on the ground with a wrench in hand.

"He who dies with the most..."

Well, he won.
    I miss him, though.
    You only get to meet so many Truly Great Men in a lifetime, and he makes my short list.

Comment

That would make a nice TW Cover shot! All I can say is: WOW!!!
      1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

I'd say he almost has enough Studebakers!
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Thanks. I, too, miss Dr. Cade. From my small screen, I can't tell - Is Martha in the picture?
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

You should have seen out 'behind' the barns...
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I think it is a bit Ironic that a guy named Dr. Cade was into Studes and not Caddy's?

Comment

His tastes were simple. He was satisfied with the best!!

Comment

Dr. Cade made a huge impression on me as a young kid. When I was 14, we were at a show and I fell in love with his Maui Blue '53 Commander Starliner. He took about an hour or so and talked to me about the car. Meant a lot when a lot of people were ignoring a skinny 14 year old kid. <grin> The car took best of show at that meet and I have a photo of Dr. Cade and I on front of the car, as well as later on with me holding the huge trophy.

This pic only shows a portion of the cars. Stephen has sold a handful over the past couple of years but most of the collection is still intact. He did crush about 80-100 parts cars a while ago.

This pic is a few years old. I don't know of Martha is in it or not, the quality of the image isn't that great. I do see Old Spot (Doc Cade's second-ever Studebaker, a '51) and it's got dull paint. They fully restored that car in '02 or so. Also, Russell Lane is shown in the foreground with his old '63 R2 Hawk. He was the main restorer for a long time but he stopped working for them at least 15 years ago or so. And I'm pretty sure that Stephen still owns that same flannel shirt. The white '61 Hawk was Stephen's first car and has been undergoing a body-off resto for a while now.

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
                  I think it is a bit Ironic that a guy named Dr. Cade was into Studes and not Caddy's?
                  I'll have to dig out his autobiography and make sure, but I think he got heavy into the Studes as a result of owning them in the 50's and keeping them as they were good cars. His first one was a new '57 wagon (Imagine that!), the second was the '51 two door. After inventing Gatorade that gave him a little play money so he went nuts with the Studes. A nicer, more humble man I've never met and he certainly touched more than a few lives. I remember in '08 when I found out he'd passed away. My mom called me as I was driving my Studebaker truck home from school. Pretty cool coincidence, I think.

Comment

He drove that Stude of his "Old Spot" when he went to Texas A&M...
                    His son Stephen restored it for him a few years before he passed..
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The article the picture came fron was from a book called Collectors, I think. I was involved in the restoration of both the 53 maui blue K body and the 51 called Spot. I did the run in on the 51 and ran brake and fuel lines various chores to get it ready to go to the National that year. Russell Lane and I used a 62 GT hawk frame for the 53 as the oroiginal was not the best. It was a bolt up althought it caused some confusion when it came time to re do the brakes. Steve and Derwood Thompsom were trying to use 53 brakes. Derwood and I happemed to be on the phone and mentioned the brake delimma and the ah ha light came on when I told him what we'd done. I moved away shortly after finishing Spot.
                      In the article about the cars Steve mentiond me aspart of the sickness. The Ermine White 62 GT in the pic was a rust free Hawk from western Kansas I'd traded a 63 Avanti for about 22 years ago. Dr. Cade bought it from me in 92 and I think Steve sold it about a year ago.
                      The eight years I worked part time for Steve and his Dad are the most fun car years I've had.
                      Thanks for letting me share,
                      Kim

Comment

I met Dr Cade a number of years ago at one of the nationals. I was selling my all originality. 32000 mile 64 Commander with a fixed roof and a 259. It was an absolutely beautiful car. Dr Cade and I were about a grand apart for about an hour and security finally kicked us out of parking lot at the national meet. The next morning someone else approached me and I was offered the asking price and sold it. I really wanted it to go to Dr Cade but couldn't take the financial hit at the time. He was a great guy and always had plenty of time for everyone. The car at that time ended up in Michigan. Ironic part of the story was that guy kept it for a few years and then at 3500 miles, he sold it to a former engineer for Studebaker who lived in Florida. So the car did finally end up in Florida. A few years have passed, do not know where the car is now. A beautiful golden sand wagon. Take care
                        Last edited by 58PackardWagon; 01-18-2012, 08:09 PM.

Comment

More pictures please.
                          Dave Nevin
                          Corvallis, OR
                          1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
                          Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

For got to mention, the 60 red convertible in the background nest to Steve's 61 Hawk is one I built for my oldest daughter in late eighties and later sold to to Dr. Cade. I didn't think a red convertible was the car to send my girl child to college in.
                            Kim

Comment

Working...
                            X