John Dillinger's Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Dillinger's Studebaker

The getaway car was a stolen sheriff's car.
    Why else would you steal from a sheriff?
    Has anyone here been to this attraction?

http://www.historicautoattractions.com/pages/dillinger%20car.html
    Attached Files
    Bells Studebaker Diner & Museum
    Bellingham, WA.

Studebaker built a special armored police car in about 1933 or so. The car was an absolute beast with bullet deflectors on the grille to protect the radiator, deflectors to protect the tires, and bullet proof glass. Dillinger ended up getting killed so the car was never used by the SB police to actually go after Dillinger. The car ended up getting totaled in a car crash about a year later.
    Chris Dresbach

Comment

There is absolutely no evidence that the car shown was ever used by Dillinger or his gang and was never used in a bank hold-up. Here is an article I wrote for the January/February 2001 issue of the Antique Studebaker Review.

DILLINGER'S STUDEBAKER??

Your editor recently received a booklet for the annual Barrett-Jackson auction to be held in Scottsdale, Arizona, January 17-21. The one vehicle which stands out was listed as a 1932 Studebaker Commander and was reportedly the one used by John Dillinger during a daring bank robbery in New Castle, Indiana in October 1933 - and it even has the bullet holes in the back to authenticate it! Unfortunately, there are probably more holes in this story than there are in the back of the Studebaker! Read on.

Back in 1995, I was contacted by Joe M. Pinkston, curator of the John Dillinger Museum in Nashville, Indiana. The museum had been offered the above referenced car and he was trying to authenticate it. He forwarded two photos (which were run in the "letters" section of the Sept/Oct '95 Review), one showing a front view of the car and the second of a large appropriately painted trailer, which was used to transport it around the country during a nationwide tour in the 1960's.

At the time, I was unable to authenticate it as the Dillinger car, but was able to tell Mr. Pinkston that it was a very early 1931 Commander (serial #8,025,154), and not a ‘32 as advertised. I was also able to substantiate the fact that according to contemporary accounts a 1932 Studebaker "touring car" was used as Dillinger's getaway car during the 1933 robbery, which netted he and his gang $75,346, the largest take of any of his many bank robberies!

Now fast forward to March 29, 1999, on which date I received a telephone call from a Hal Bailey in Florida, who wanted to advertise a pair of head-lights for what he thought were for a '32 Studebaker. After taking his information, I inquired as to how he happened to have the lights. He indicated he once had a 1932 Studebaker and had sold it, and now had no further use for the lights. After further inquiries, he related the car he had owned was purchased in central Oregon in c.1961. He did some restoration work on it, put a few bullet holes in the back, and created a "Dillinger getaway car!!” He then purchased the trailer and had the appropriate graphics added and hired a few people to take it around the country. When I asked if he had any evidence that it had any connection to Dillinger, he laughed and said, “No."

Mr. Bailey went on to relate how he had sold the car and trailer in about 1975 at an auction in Florida and lost track of it. Among his other one-time possessions was the “original” African Queen used in the Bogart/Hepburn movie and a very large frozen shark, which was quite popular during the "Jaws " frenzy of the '70s.

The “Dillinger car” was sold at the Barrett jacckson auction for $30,000. A run of the mill ’31 Commander might fetch 1/3 that amount. Apparently the purchaser bought into the scam and is perpetuating it. They are likely as uninformed about it actual heritage as most of the people who once paid to view it!

As a side note, I would point out that there were no shots fired by Dillinger or the police during the New Castle robbery or the subsequent escape. Therefore, the real getaway car, would not have had bullet holes.

John Dillinger was shot to death by G-men under Melvin Purvis outside the Biograph Theater in Chicago on the night of July 22, 1934. I own a car that was sitting at the curb that night and if you have enough money I will show it to you…it even has the bullet holes to prove it. For a few extra dollars I will even show you a lock of Dillinger’s hair.
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
        Studebaker built a special armored police car in about 1933 or so. The car was an absolute beast with bullet deflectors on the grille to protect the radiator, deflectors to protect the tires, and bullet proof glass. Dillinger ended up getting killed so the car was never used by the SB police to actually go after Dillinger. The car ended up getting totaled in a car crash about a year later.
        There was a very special Studebaker police car at the International meet in South Bend in '02. Bullet proof glass, port holes to shoot through, armor plating, the whole deal.

I'm really disappointed that I did not get some pictures and more information on that car... it was a sight to behold!

Seems like it was marked for some city... maybe Canton?
        sigpic
        Dave Lester

Comment

I grew up in Marshfield. Wisconsin. Every fall the Wood County Fair was held there. In 1956 or so (I was 9 years old), one of the "exhibits" was John Dilliinger's get away car complete with armor plating, bullet proof glass, and bullet holes. I paid hard earned money to see it and remember it to this day...but I have no idea what make it was.
          Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dave; Yes that was a '37 President and still belongs to the Canton, Ohio police dept. It was restored about 10 years ago with the help of local SDC members. I have lots of data on it including an article I did on it for the Antique Studebaker Review.
            Richard Quinn

Comment

Dave

Here are some pics of the Stude police car at SB in '02. Frank
              Attached Files

Comment

Flying Squadron???? BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks for sharing, Richard and Frank!

That is one very special automobile!
                  sigpic
                  Dave Lester

Comment

If only Studebakers could tell us about there past gangster owners..
                    Another Stude in trouble . V

Comment

The 1933 "Dillinger Destroyer", er, police car that I'm thinking of actually had more plating on it than that '37 President. In the photos I've seen of it, the car realy looks more like some kind of tank/car or military vehicle in appearence.

I have a photo of a 1940 Champion South Bend police car. I'll see if I can find it.
                      Chris Dresbach

Comment

This special police vehicle was ordered by the city of Canton, Ohio in 1937 to maintain control at the violet street strikes at area mills. It was in service...

How about this one.
                        Bells Studebaker Diner & Museum
                        Bellingham, WA.

Comment

How about this one.
                          That's it!

WOW, what a car!!
                          sigpic
                          Dave Lester

Comment

It would be interesting to know how much it weighs.
                            sigpic
                            John
                            63R-2386
                            Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

According to Studebaker 2 1/2 tons (that would be 5000 lbs). The armor and glass was installed by a firm in Indianapolis. In re to the extra weight the manager of the plant stated it "in no way caused any inconvenience for we obtained a speed of 95 mph easily." My article on the car is in the August 1989 issue of Turning Wheels.
                              Richard Quinn

Comment

Working...
                              X