Some Region-Specific Studebaker Advertising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Region-Specific Studebaker Advertising

'Ran across two bright, unused bumper stickers in my collection today while looking for something else, and thought 'you all might like to have a peek.

In this photo, two versions of essentially the same bumper sticker are illustrated. The lower one obviously replaced the upper one when Studebaker decided to downplay the Lark name in late 1963:

Below is one of the upper stickers being used in 1962. In the early 1960s, I corresponded a little with local Indianapolis Star Automotive Writer George Moore, whom I am sure is long gone. Of course, I was only in my late 'teens at the time.

Mr. Moore was partial to Indiana-built Studebakers while selecting cars to write about in each Sunday's newspaper. (I.e., if he wrote 50 reports a year, maybe 10% of them would be Studebakers, 'way out of proportion to their market penetration.)

Mr. Moore usually sourced his cars from Snider Studebaker, where I hung out, and he would reference the supplying dealer in each report. This one, however, came from Indianapolis' Charlie Stuart Studebaker.

He would take the car-of-the-week and a staff photographer out west to the road course at Indianapolis Raceway Park, just a few miles east of our home here in Brownsburg. They would thrash it around the road course until the photographer got an appropriate photo for Mr. Moore's Sunday Article.

I always thought this 1962 Hawk Road Test was amusing. They caught the car in such a good slide that the crookedly-placed Buy a Lark: It's Indiana Built bumper sticker almost appears parallel to the ground as it should have been in the first place!

(Yes, that is the same bumper sticker shown in the photo above....well, not the same sticker exactly, because the one in the above photo still has the transfer paper on the backside and has never been on a car):

Anyone else have any region-specific Studebaker advertising with which they'd like to entertain us? BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 01-15-2012, 05:33 PM. Reason: add Charlie Stuart reference
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

At least on my little screen, it appears that he spelled Gran Turismo Hawk incorrectly. Couldn't he have just copied it off the car if he didn't already know <G>?
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Not exactly 'advertising' but often times Studebaker automaticly got the chance to sell extra items knowing they would be needed according to the shipping location of the vehicle. ( but you already know this)

HD frames for export cars, often extra paint to go with them.

HD shocks

Wet air cleaners for dry , dusty locations.

TT axles for rural, and the snow belt.

dual mirrors for more populated areas

The only thing I can think of in regard to your question may be more truck advertising in the farm country, maybe more luxury type car ads in the big city but I have no real proof, I was not there.

In 65-66 there was the slogan "Canadas own car" The example of this and your decals are pretty specific, there was only one South Bend, and one Hamilton. grin

Comment

I remember reading a Mechanix Illistrated road test (in 62 I think) that had the "Lark Indiana built" bumper sticker.
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          At least on my little screen, it appears that he spelled Gran Turismo Hawk incorrectly. Couldn't he have just copied it off the car if he didn't already know <G>?
          Good question! Yes, it is misspelled Gran Turisimo throughout the article; at least 4 times! (Note, too, that he got this car from Charlie Stuart Studebaker, not Snider as was his usual practice.) BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I sure like that lower bumper sticker in your picture, Bob.

Hmmmm............if Ed Reynolds would take that bumper sticker, and match the color/font/etc but just change the wording slightly to: Buy Studebaker it's American Built, I would buy one for each of my Studes.
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
            Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
              I sure like that lower bumper sticker in your picture, Bob.

Hmmmm............if Ed Reynolds would take that bumper sticker, and match the color/font/etc but just change the wording slightly to: Buy Studebaker it's American Built, I would buy one for each of my Studes.
              Paul: I'm forwarding this entire thread to Ed and calling his attention to your Post #6! BP

Comment

I've got one of the Studebaker ones hanging on the wall in my barn. Newman & Altman found a supply of them back in the late 1970's, and I bought one back then.

Comment

Maybe he could also offer the Indiana version. Keep people guessing!!

Comment

BP, Thanks for posting that awesome photo of the GT in a drift. It also clearly illustrates why some of us have a bias-ply bias. The bit of visible copy portends a good read, indeed.

Here's that bumper sticker on a Wagonaire parked next to us at the 2008 SW Zone Meet in Milpitas:

The owner is one of very few that like orange more than I do. Delicious!
                    Last edited by Andy R.; 01-16-2012, 10:05 AM. Reason: relink photo
                    Andy
                    62 GT

Comment

Originally posted by Andy R. View Post
                      BP, Thanks for posting that awesome photo of the GT in a drift. It also clearly illustrates why some of us have a bias-ply bias. The bit of visible copy portends a good read, indeed.

Here's that bumper sticker on a Wagonaire parked next to us at the 2008 SW Zone Meet in Milpitas:

The owner is one of very few that like orange more than I do. Delicious!
                      Thanks, Andy; 'glad you enjoyed it.

I'd like to see that picture, but it just appears as a little red X in a box. 'Can't seem to open it no matter what I do.

???? BP

Comment

I'm trying to recall if any of the Studebaker dealers around here used more than a simple small label or chrome nameplate to advertise their agency, such as either a back window sticker or a bumper sticker. For example in the early to mid-eighties here, the local AMC-Jeep dealer Big 4 Motors, had a good-sized rear window sticker that read, "Another 4 X 4 From BIG 4" which was placed on all the Jeeps and Eagles they sold.

Craig
                        Last edited by 8E45E; 01-16-2012, 05:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                          I'm trying to recall if any of the Studebaker dealers around here used more than a simple small label or chrome nameplate to advertise their agency, such as either a back window sticker or a bumper sticker. For example in the early to mid-eighties here, the local AMC-Jeep dealer Big 4 Motors, had a good-sized rear window sticker that read, "Another 4 X 4 From BIG 4" which was placed on all the Jeeps and Eagles they sold.

Craig
                          sigpic
                          Jim

Comment

What you show above is about all I have seen from local dealers; a small simple decal as stuck on your bumper, or on the trunklid and lower panel on Larks. Like yours, all they mention is the dealer name and location; not much else.

Craig

Comment

If anyone is interested in reading the full George Moore Road Test of that 1962 Hawk, here it is:

Comment

Working...
                              X