PDA

View Full Version : Head Rest

JEWELL
01-15-2012, 09:22 AM
I have acquired a 64 GT Hawk, the seats have head rest. Was this an option in 1964?

GTCruiser
01-15-2012, 09:41 AM
For sure they were an option in '63, so most probably they were an option in '64. As an aside, had a '63 Lark with a headrest on the passenger side only.

rockinhawk
01-15-2012, 09:42 AM
I don't recall ever seeing Hawk seats with headrest. Can you post some pictures?

JEWELL
01-15-2012, 09:59 AM
Will post pics later, just bought the car from a museum in Texas, 52,364 original miles and I am sure I will have alot more questions about the car.

Thanks, Mark

ROADRACELARK
01-15-2012, 10:21 AM
Mabe someone will post some pictures from the '63-'64 Stude "New Car" brochures.

Dan Miller
Auburn, GA

01-15-2012, 10:51 AM
I have acquired a 64 GT Hawk, the seats have head rest. Was this an option in 1964?
Yes. AC2999 (different from headrests for split seats). All '64s had a different headrest from earlier models (slightly different bracket which extended the headrest a little more forward).

stude1964
01-15-2012, 01:21 PM
The headrests were available on models since the late 50's such as '59. I've had 1st series Larks with 1 or pairs. The headrests are the same except for the material for buckets & split seats. The later model bracket was used on the '64 Cruiser since it had thicker seats than the standard Daytonas,Commanders .I've seen a few GT's w/headrests & they used the earlier style. All of my '64's have headrests if anyone wants to see the difference between they can email for pics as I still can't post pics on the Forum yet. I don't have a pic of my '64 GT w/reclining buckets w/headrests as it's parked in w/lots of parts piled around it waiting for the rebuild. I also have a template that shows how to install in each seat type. The buckets I believe require one to cut a small portion of a seat spring near the ashtray for installation. One can view the pics of the headrests in any accessory booklet for the year in question. Rob in PA.

JoeHall
01-15-2012, 01:37 PM
I almost bought that car of yours a couple of months ago. It took all I had to talk myself out of it. I did lots of reading on 1964GTs, while blowing up & looking closely at all pix I could get. It looks to be an excellent example of a Texas car that went into the museum in the mid 80s till now. The all white interior, however, did not exist in 1964, from what I could learn. The 1964 blue is beautiful, and the vinyl top matches it pereftcly.

Glad to hear you got the car!

Joe H

PekkaP
01-15-2012, 02:10 PM
Congrats on a nice find!

I assume this is the one - these are some old pics I found on a French website:

http://www.trombinoscar.com/studebaker/sb6402.html

Pekka

dnevin
01-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Not to hijack a thread (ok, maybe a little), but just curious--I gather the head rests are hard to find? I have one bracket (the part that fits in the seat) for my GT seats but would like a complete set.

01-15-2012, 04:29 PM
The headrests were available on models since the late 50's such as '59. I've had 1st series Larks with 1 or pairs. The headrests are the same except for the material for buckets & split seats. The later model bracket was used on the '64 Cruiser since it had thicker seats than the standard Daytonas,Commanders .I've seen a few GT's w/headrests & they used the earlier style. All of my '64's have headrests if anyone wants to see the difference between they can email for pics as I still can't post pics on the Forum yet. I don't have a pic of my '64 GT w/reclining buckets w/headrests as it's parked in w/lots of parts piled around it waiting for the rebuild. I also have a template that shows how to install in each seat type. The buckets I believe require one to cut a small portion of a seat spring near the ashtray for installation. One can view the pics of the headrests in any accessory booklet for the year in question. Rob in PA.
From the '59-'64 Body Parts Catalog- All Hawks ('59-'64), Larks ('62-'66) with bucket seats, and all '59-'63 Larks with bench seats used the same headrest. Color and material differed according to year. All '64 Larks with bench seats (and I assume '65s and '66s) used a different headrest from previous years, but they were the same across all models. I ordered one headrest with my '64 Daytona Wagonaire. Years later I bought one from a '64 Cruiser and it was identical to my original.

Warren Webb
01-15-2012, 04:42 PM
I would like to see headrests reproduced not only for the appearance but for the safety & comfort factor.