PDA

View Full Version : Unusual day at the shop.

rockinhawk
01-14-2012, 05:59 PM
Recently my grandaughter Sabrina took a que from her older brother and decided to ram the tail end of a Ford truck. Only she didn't use a Studebaker, she hit it with her Mama's Taurus.
We got the little Ford back to the shop, took it apart, and rounded up some parts to put it back togather. We located a nice hood but it was silver, and the car is white. Mama says Sabrina needs to help fix the car as some sort of life lesson.
I have a customer's Lark in the shop that I need to paint the top on. Also white. So I called the little mama and told her if Sabrina would come and sand the hood, I would paint it while I was painting the Studebaker.
Rebekah (the Mama) shows up to make sure everything goes to plan. Sabrina and Boyfriend Blaine show up ready to work, but don't have a clue about what to do.
I set everything up for them and give them sanders then show them how to use them. I go back to work on the Lark.

Soon Sabrina comes to me beaming with pride in a job well done. I check it over and give them a finer grade of paper and tell to do it again. A short time later she comes back and asks me to check it again. I give them some 400 wet or dry paper and a water hose and tell them to do it again.
All the while Rebakah who is a work-a-holic, is steadily cleaning up my shop. 3 large garbage bags loaded in my truck and she is still going strong. I may stretch this job out awhile.

Finally get everything ready for paint and in the paint room. They help me mask off the roof of the lark, and I send them away. I start to spray and discover the cap is not on my gun right and spill paint all over the hood. I guess i'll have to sand the hood myself this time.

I did get the Studebaker done though.

matt's mom
01-14-2012, 07:12 PM
I'm not sure if it was an "accident" or not....you never did like Fords. However this younger generation needs to be at your shop a lot more. Yesterday, Blayne - who was the "Crown Victoria of his class" (my younger nephews understanding of Valedictorian) - slammed on his brakes in the middle of the road, because, according to Sabrina, "the light lit up and said "brake". She said even she knew what was going on, and after she quit laughing at him, told him to check the fluids, etc. I am now one of those adults who shakes my head.....

BobGlasscock
01-14-2012, 08:19 PM
As soon as I quit rolling around on the floor laughing, I'll write an intelligent reply to this whole story.

BobPalma
01-14-2012, 09:42 PM
I dunno, Neil. Perhaps you should wait until it dries and see how it flowed out. <GGG> BP

mmagic
01-14-2012, 10:37 PM
Story with a similar ring....
Back wihen Elway won his first Superbowl game, my step daughter had permission to go to the celebration parade downtown Denver and I gave her 16 year old brother, normally a passenger to drive himself to school. His instructions were simple... Go directly to School, park in the Greenwood lot, come directly home after the game and do not leave campus for lunch.

11:30 I get the call... "I have a little problem!" He had gone to Wendy's and managed to park the nose of the Sundance over the edge of a 6' retaining wall.

The damage was confined to the hood where it slid under a hand rail. Jason just earned an opportunity to learn the joys of Bondo first hand. Bondo... sand... Bondo... sand... Bondo... sand... etc. He could have got it perfect the first time and he still would have been sanding a week later. He's finally at the point he can laugh about it with me.

rockinhawk
01-15-2012, 08:04 AM
I dunno, Neil. Perhaps you should wait until it dries and see how it flowed out. <GGG> BP I am hopeful Bob. I went ahead and wet it real good with paint. The weather was cool so it will dry slow. I'll go check on it this afternoon. Maybeee?

Flashback
01-15-2012, 09:25 AM
Just judging by your post, past and present, I would say you (Neil ) have a lot of lucky grandchillen, and chillen, to have a Grandfather and Father like you.

rockinhawk
01-15-2012, 09:33 AM
Just judging by your post, past and present, I would say you (Neil ) have a lot of lucky grandchillen, and chillen, to have a Grandfather and Father like you. Luck has nothing to do with it! I planned it that way.

Seriously, Thankyou Tex. But I feel that I am the lucky one. I have been blessed with a great family.