PDA

View Full Version : Yes I bought it! New owner in Muncie IN says Hello; with a couple questions

64-IndianaWagon
01-14-2012, 01:56 PM
Hi all , My name is Rick and I live outside Muncie. I love my cool new Studebaker!!!!! I recently purchased a 64 Wagonaire on ebay, and plan on finishing the previous owners restoration attempts. I credit these forums for motivating me to purchase this car so many thanks. I invite any local owners to feel free to contact me and I look forward to attending some of the events. I plan on joining SDC; and I love my new Studebaker. I do have a few questions if anyone can help:

#1 The vin # is 64S10 752 If anyone can give me info about the car it would be appreciated.The car was once owned by a guy in Indianapolis who sold it to the guy I purchased it from in New Jersey. I bought it on Ebay last Monday and hauled it back home to Indiana. I wa nt to restore it to original color paint etc

#2 The overdrive is not working. I have some diagrams and info on fixing the overdrive but if there is anyone in my area that can educate me in person I am willing to pay. I am pretty sure I can learn overdrive on my own but the time saved would be worth paying for. I am outside Muncie Indiana

#3 I would like to find a camper top slide in for this car in any condition. If there are no camper tops that still exsisit I would like to build one as close to spec as psossible from blue prints drawings pictures or any other resource. If anyone can educate me on this or help it would be appreciated.

#4 Mine is a 64 Wagonaire Challenger 6 cyl manual trans W/ retractible roof . I can not find out production numbers on wagonaires or this particular model of wagonaire. I would also like to knowapprox how many are still left if that is possible. On the collectability scale of aA thru eE( a being best) what is this models letter? I bought this because I like it but I want to better educate myself.

I will continue searching and reading the forum for answers; and I appreciate any help.
I looked over the posts in this forum before I purchased this car so I know some of you are familiar with this car. I will post new fresh pictures soon but I am dying to get to work on this project so pics are not a priority. I will take pics and document the restoration. I know this car has a 6 cyl but I STILL want the camper top, and I am not willing to trade the 6 for a v8 no matter how tempted I am( a v8 4 speed would be cool, and practicle;l but I want the car as original as possible). I think the camper top is awesome plus I might even use it.

Thank you all , love the forum and love my newest project. Studebakers are cool!
Rick Sutton rictrics@gmail.com

Welcome
01-14-2012, 02:11 PM
Hi all , My name is Rick and I live outside Muncie. I love my cool new Studebaker!!!!!>>>

WELCOME ...to the SDC Forum!!!

I don't know diddly about Wagonaires, but plenty of folks who do will be along shortly!:cool:

JBOYLE
01-14-2012, 02:17 PM
Welcome!

Your car sounds great, sliding top Wagonaires are very popular in the Studebaker community. On a collectability scale, I'd guess it's near the top of post-war Studes...

There are lots of great members in your area (go figure!) that can provide techincal and parts help. Once you join the SDC and get the magazine, you'll be amazed atthe resources out there.

You should try a forum search, there have been photos of the camper conversions posted in the past.

BobPalma
01-14-2012, 02:27 PM
Hi, Rick. Welcome to the zoo...er, club. Good to know your Wagonaire is "Back home again in Indiana." Indiana." (Hmmmm....catchy phrase; now where have I heard that before?)

Your serial number 64S10752 says a few things:

1. The car was built in South Bend. If it was assembled in Hamilton Ontario, it would have a C somewhere in it. (Besides, Challengers weren't built in Hamilton, so it has to be a South-Bend-assembled car anyway.)

The S indicates the car was built as a six-cylinder car.

The 10752 indicates it was the 9,752nd 1964 Studebaker built with a six-cylinder engine, since the first was 64S1001. It doesn't make any difference what body style it is.

2. If you have any mechanical skill at all, the wiring diagrams and check-out priocedure is crystal-clear in the Shop Manual. If don't have one, good reprints are available through Studebaker International in Greenfield IN. Buy one.

3. Others will hopefully post about the camper conversion and availability.

4. Yours is one of 453 1964 Challenger Six Wagonaires built. There's no way to know how many are "left" because no national data base exists to track every single unit as to it's final owner and fate.

It's level of "collectability" is really whatever you want it to be.

On a national scale, it is probably so-so as to collector-car enthusiast interest. On the plus side, wagons in general are coming of age among collectors, and the uniqueness of sliding-roof wagons garners much interest. On the down side, low-line, six-cylinder wagons aren't as in demand as more highly-trimmed ones with V8s.

If you haven't yet joined The Studebaker Drivers Club, you need to do that immediately. It can be done right here on line by clicking the appropriate links at the top of this page.

I don't live too far away and get to that area every so often, so you may want to join our Indy Chapter SDC as well. If you can find Brownsburg (NW of Indianapolis) on Saturday, January 28, at 1PM, join The Indy Chapter SDC at The Pit Stop barbecue place here in Brownsburg on the east end of Main Street (U.S.136) right at the stop light, behind Chase Bank:

http://pitstopbbqandgrill.com/

You'll be welcomed warmly and we'll show you how to get out of town before the attendants in white coats break up the festivities again. (Cotton' pickin' killjoys....)

Best wishes with the car.

Bob Palma,
Technical Editor
Turning Wheels

(S)
01-14-2012, 02:50 PM
I have not seen a camper in quite some time. There is one at the Bell Studebaker Museum, Bellingham WA.

V8 Wagons are more desireble, but on the other hand a 6 Cyl is rare due to them not holding up, and less were ordered. Many, Many Wagonaires rusted out over the years are were junked so anything 'solid' is a great find.

It is easy to check the wires and switches to the OD, they are simple. A common problem is frayed wires, a leaky seal can fill the Sol. with oil.

And welcome to the forum, from one Wagonaire owner to another!

64-IndianaWagon
01-14-2012, 04:10 PM
Paid the $24 for my membership and appreciate all the replies . Think I have the overdrive working correctly after troubleshooting but I need to turn some more miles to make sure it will KEEP working. This car seems much easier to work on than many of my previous cars. THANKS for the replys and helpful answers. I am very happy this car was built in Indiana and it has made its way back to Indiana.

garyash
01-14-2012, 04:10 PM
I've got a '65 Wagonaire with a sliding roof (and '63 without a slider). Here is a picture of someone else's Wagonaire with an original camper from 1966. I've never heard of one being offered for sale in recent years. It sounded like a great idea, but it has got to be very top-heavy. For sure, you'd want 6" wide Ford rims and heavy-duty springs. With the OHV 6, it won't be speedy with the camper and some people aboard. Anyway, have fun with your new Wagonaire!

http://www.studegarage.com/images/other/Studecamper_Apr_1966.jpg

Corvanti
01-14-2012, 04:15 PM
welcome aboard!!! :D

i'm "ass-u-ming" this is your car:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160708290440

looks good. have fun with it! :)

Milaca
01-14-2012, 11:56 PM
Here is a previous thread of Studebaker campers:
http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?26925-Jeep-camper-copy-of-Wagonaire-camper-attachment&highlight=camper
I never did find a magazine advertisement with a pop-up canvas tent though.

Warren Webb
01-15-2012, 01:55 AM
I'd like to add my welcome to the forum also. As far as building a camper like the one Gary pictured (it's a V-8 as seen by the emblem on the front fender), if it's just for show is one thing, but if you intend on using it as a camper, then think about the dimentions. The "overcab" area would be like sleeping in a coffin. The area behind the rear of the car would be about the length of a phonebooth-inside the car very narrow. This plus being a 6 cylinder one would have to measure performance (or any kid of acceleration) with a calendar. You have a very unique piece of automotive history & we all wish you many happy memories with it. I have liked Studebakers now for over 50 years and dont want to rain on your parade but also want to be honest.

Bellingham Studenut
01-15-2012, 02:03 AM
Rick,

Great to see you got the Wagonaire.
The Wagonaire's are getting a lot more attention every year and have become very popular (if you can find, or fix a decent one).
You will have a lot of fun and they are very usefull!
I have owned 8 of them and still enjoy owning 3 (and 1 has a Camper)

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo6/Studenut_photos/1964%20Wagonaire/1963-1966-studebaker-wagon-31.jpg

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo6/Studenut_photos/ToteMotel2.jpg

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo6/Studenut_photos/100_2027.jpg

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo6/Studenut_photos/1964%20Wagonaire/wagon1.jpg

James Bell

64-IndianaWagon
01-15-2012, 03:52 PM
I bought this car sight unseen( I did read some forum posts). After spending a few days with this car I love it even more. There are not many exactly like it, it is easy to work on, Greenfield is close enough to drive to, the body is in great shape and it is not a bondo bucket, most of the mechanics are in good shape, the doors do not sag, the hood closes perfect the gaps in the fenders are right and the tailgate window works. The engine is clean and the bay is clean. The car came with new interior panels and other parts to install. The car starts right up and drives well. It is nice to wake up each day and look forward to working on this cool little wagon. Thanks for all the hellos and advice; the pictures are inspiring.

64-IndianaWagon
01-15-2012, 04:09 PM
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=1964+studebaker+camper&_sacat=0

I found a brochure pic on ebay. This car has no luggage rack and I plan on leeping it original as possible so a camper might not be the right way to go with this car. If the right opportunity comes along who knows. I think I could make one like this but I think I will put my efforts in to making this car perfect first.

Corvanti
01-15-2012, 04:23 PM
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=1964+studebaker+camper&_sacat=0
I think I will put my efforts in to making this car perfect first.

i'd say that's the way to go! at least as close to perfect as your wallet allows. :)

if you were looking at a camper to actually go camping in, this thread may be of interest: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?56898-Curious.-Towing-with-a-Wagonaire...&highlight=wagonaire+towing

even though a small travel trailer would be much lighter than what i was thinking about, i don't know if the 6cyl would be up to the task.

the best thing you need to do, is have fun with it!!! :D

showbizkid
01-15-2012, 05:05 PM
Way Cool, Rick; glad to have you aboard here! As a Standard owner, I appreciate Challengers too (they're kissin' cousins, after all). Looking forward to seeing pics!

jclary
01-15-2012, 05:28 PM
Great to have you among us, Rick. Many of us "Hill folk" might scoff about your six cylinder wagon. But, in much of the Indiana "flat land," I think the six will amble down the road just fine. However, if you lived here...the Challenger would get challenged frequently.:)

BobPalma
01-15-2012, 05:36 PM
'Pics here, Clark:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Studebaker-Wagon-retractable-convertible-top-/160708290440?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item256af5e788

(You have to scroll down a little due to the fact that this is a completed sale.) BP

doug
01-15-2012, 05:38 PM
Just a tip in case. The overdrive portion of the transmission has a seperate oil chamber. Checking the transmission will not indicate the level of fluid in the overdrive unit. There is a seperate plug to check the level.

64-IndianaWagon
01-16-2012, 08:03 AM
I have a few articles I printed on The BW overdrive, so I figured out where the oil chambers are, how to use OD and how to troubleshoot OD. I have the catalog for all my parts but this car will not need too much other than paint.

64-IndianaWagon
01-16-2012, 08:08 AM
'Pics here, Clark:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Studebaker-Wagon-retractable-convertible-top-/160708290440?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item256af5e788

(You have to scroll down a little due to the fact that this is a completed sale.) BP

Considering the solid body and great mechanical condition I think this was a decent price. I see some prices that are cheaper but this car is pretty solid. Looks like it was parked under cover or in storage. Opinions on price and car will not hurt my feelings as it is too late for regrets now I own it. The restoration will be correct but I have decided to leave it on the frame as I want to drive this car.

jclary
01-16-2012, 08:38 AM
Considering the solid body and great mechanical condition I think this was a decent price. I see some prices that are cheaper but this car is pretty solid. Looks like it was parked under cover or in storage. Opinions on price and car will not hurt my feelings as it is too late for regrets now I own it. The restoration will be correct but I have decided to leave it on the frame as I want to drive this car.

I really like your attitude. Having a thick skin and being comfortable in it is about the best possession you could have around this crowd. I am looking forward to seeing you enjoy this ride.

As far as the overdrive goes...I have always placed my vehicles on jack stands and run them through their paces for trouble shooting. The most serious problems I have ever had (in many years) has been corrosion at terminals or fuse connections due to sitting, or old wires that needed replacing. Adjusting the kickdown switch properly is important. If the mechanical components are kept lubricated, they will give great service for years.

avantilover
01-17-2012, 01:25 AM
Sounds like a great wagon. The main thing is just to drive the thing as the parts are likely somewhat stiff if it hasn't been driven much.

Best wishes from all of us in Australia

Son O Lark
01-17-2012, 10:49 AM
I hope you enjoy your "new" Wagonaire! I have used one for a daily driver for several years now (I live in Indy). Just a few tips: Keep the roof drains clean, a lap full of water will remind you. Also, this is a heavy little wagon, think about upgrading your brakes to disc. I know the brakes have just been rebuilt. The new car ahead of you with modern brakes will make you pucker up once in a while. I don't want to tell you how to spend your money, but the bolt on disc brake kits get great reviews. Also be sure to clear your calendar for the May South Bend Swap Meet and the International Meet in SB(End of July-Aug.)!!

64-IndianaWagon
02-11-2012, 10:25 AM
In case anyone reads this thread who owns a wagonaire with retractable roof her is one for sale in SF Cali below is copy of email lady sent me with link to craigs list camper top

This is a long way from you and not the same camper but still for a Studebaker and looks better than the one you were looking for. Not mine but I have a motorhome group on Yahoo and we look for interesting and rare campers and I remembered seeing your ad. Hope this helps

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/2836219532.html Called a Tote-Motel

http://southbend.craigslist.org/rvs/2799480890.html

Linda

64-IndianaWagon
02-11-2012, 10:30 AM
Is there a registry for Wagonaires similar to the one for Hawks? Just curious how many 64 6 cyls are out there.

jackb
02-11-2012, 10:37 AM
if you drive that 6 the way it was intended.....you won't need disc brakes. Assuming you do have the split reservoir..that is..

Flashback
02-11-2012, 12:55 PM
Welcome, Sounds like a great wagon. Good luck with your rebuild. Just be sure you "have fun" while doing this.

Jim B PEI
02-11-2012, 06:20 PM
Instead of fit into the sliding roof camper, might I suggest a >>fibreglass<< trailer? Do a Google search on Boler or Trillium (and once you have a handle on it, other makes.) I have a 1975 Boler 13 foot painted yellow and blue--so I call it a "Swedish Egg". These campers are usable! Mine can sleep 4 if at least one is a child, has a furnace, sink and reservoir, propane cooktop and 3 way refrigerator. They are quiet inside (and stay warm or cool because of the insulating material), solid as a rock due to the design, have a solid frame underneath, and have car wheels/tires, not trailer wheels tires. Mine weighs ONLY 760 pounds, about HALF the weight of a pop-up trailer. Besides, they are very aerodynamic and a dream to pull--you will forget you are pulling a trailer at all. Stable in very windy condition too. I took mine 1000 miles first time, from purchase to home, behind a very aged and clapped out very high mileage Toyota Corolla with an automatic--and it barely made a difference to this very sick engined car, even through some steep hilly areas.

I use it now behind my 259 Wagonaire and my diesel Jetta (90 hp) wagon--but I know someone who towed a Boler for years behind a Toyota Tercel with a 1500 cc engine with no problems. I think this might be a better choice for a 6 cylinder Wagonaire than an insert. Beside, when I travel, it doesn't detract from using the tailgate and sliding roof separately

P.S. You can see the front end of my Boler in my sig picture.

fpstude
02-11-2012, 10:38 PM
What a great car and it's condition makes it even better. Station wagons are becoming more popular lately. Welcome to our world.

64-IndianaWagon
02-12-2012, 08:27 AM
I learned to drive with drum brakes and a three on the tree and I have no problem with drum brakes.If I buy a camper top I need a luggage rack and this particular car did not come with a luggage rack in 64 . I think the luggage rack sets the car off and makes the car look cool; and disc brakes would be nice; but I am keeping this car as close as I can to the way it rolled off the assembly line in 64.The integrity, originality, qaulity, and condition of this car deserves to be respected imho; so no matter how much I want disc brakes, a slide in top, and chrome roof rack; I will leave it original. IF it had a roof rack and a V8 I would have purchased the camper top as I think a period correct slide in camper top would add to the value and collectibility of the car; and broaden the appeal of the car (Antique RV fans and Car fans). I do admit that one part of this car will not be original . The metal cover above the spare tire in back has been replaced with some lame crappy wood. I am going to replace this with some nice beautiful highly finished wood . Before I trade or sell this car I will take out the wood and replace it with metal but while I drive it I am going with wood. I KNOW the wood is not original (and it will bug me a little at times). This car deserves to be saved in the best most original state possible and I respect that as the temporary caretaker and owner. I like the way many of my fellow Studebaker owners respect the integrity of the brand and cars they own. While you see some modified Studebakers; the majority (and best ones IMHO) are restored correctly or as close to original as possible. The look, lines, and beauty of many Studebakers are a form of American Industrial Art in my opinion and I find the look of some Studebakers more appealing than many of the higher priced classics like Cameros Mustangs GTO's etc etc

64-IndianaWagon
02-12-2012, 08:39 AM
I like your camper but I was thinking of adding to the long term value and collectibility of the car rather than using it as a camper. I have been intriqued and in love with vintage campers for a long time but I have too many other projects . I buy and sell cars, scooters, motorcycles, and ATVs . Anything I buy I have to make money on or I cant afford to buy it. I can already tell that this 64 Wagon is going to be another one of my long list of regret cars. Regret cars are cars I once owned and then resold; like my 67 Camero Convertible, 69 Dodge Dart GTX or my Dads 32 Ford Roadster. There are plenty of Wagonaires but there are not plenty of 64 Wagonaire Challangers with 44k documented miles, 6 Cyl, and retractible roof. I am still curious as to how many like mine there are left out there.

Son O Lark
02-12-2012, 02:04 PM
The spare tire covers on both of my 1963 Wagonaires are made of lame crappy wood. I think that's the same for '64. Someone else will know for sure.

mbstude
02-12-2012, 02:35 PM
All of the spare tire covers on Stude station wagons are plywood. Even the one on my top-of-the-line '57 President wagon is wood.

As far as Wagonaires go.. My dad has a '64 Commander with a 6 and sliding roof.

64-IndianaWagon
02-13-2012, 11:02 AM
Is there anyplace I can find out type of wood etc? I will start looking but any links etc will be helpful. I was not looking forward to fabricating a cover from metal so wood is good.

Son O Lark
02-13-2012, 12:40 PM
Mine appears to be 3/4 inch marine grade plywood. I would not use anything but marine grade due to leaks.The edging for the wood may or may not be available. It is covered on the top with carpeting matching the rest of the car. There is a piano-type hinge towards the front of the board.

64-IndianaWagon
02-15-2012, 07:01 AM
Thanks Son O lark My car will not feel much rain while I am owner. I have some nice cherry and oak I might use after I place a nice finish and shine on the wood. Is there any type of rubber stop on the underside to stop the rattle of the wood? I removed the wood from my car and it is so much quieter now. I doubt I will place carpet on my wood. I will leave that to the next owner as my wood will look great. Thanks for all the help!

Son O Lark
02-15-2012, 01:34 PM
I will check about the rubber stops. There is a funky little hook for holding the cover up when removing the spare.