Eye Candy for 1/11/12: 65 Daytona Sport Sedan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eye Candy for 1/11/12: 65 Daytona Sport Sedan

Visiting the Hamilton Plant this past September...

S.

"Mari Lou, Mari Lou, she took my watch and chain. Mari Lou, Mari Lou, she took my diamond ring.

She took the keys to my Cadillac car, jumped in my kitty and she drove afar."

Steve Miller
    Jon Stalnaker
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Nice looking Daytona, that Dark Blue looks good on it, as long as you don't care about originality.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I don't remember the vinyl extending down the A-pillar like that.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Jon--

:-)..."oh well hello Mari Lou, goodbye heart..."

Rich--

The Daytona's a family piece, driven by the sister of the current owners for many years in that deep blue hue. I agree, it's a good-looking shade for the car, stock or not...

Gary--

It did, a couple inches, at least on any 65-6 Daytona I've seen that retains the vinyl; there was also a small stainless molding where the vinyl stopped, and that, in this sunny shot of a dark car with a white roof, blends into the white vinyl and makes it look like it comes down further than it does...

S.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve T View Post
            Jon--

:-)..."oh well hello Mari Lou, goodbye heart..."

Rich--

The Daytona's a family piece, driven by the sister of the current owners for many years in that deep blue hue. I agree, it's a good-looking shade for the car, stock or not...

Gary--

It did, a couple inches, at least on any 65-6 Daytona I've seen that retains the vinyl; there was also a small stainless molding where the vinyl stopped, and that, in this sunny shot of a dark car with a white roof, blends into the white vinyl and makes it look like it comes down further than it does...

S.
            Yes, I am probably seeing the trim as part of the vinyl on my small screen.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              Nice looking Daytona, that Dark Blue looks good on it, as long as you don't care about originality.
              1964 Strato Blue was a carry-over color that was indeed used on '65 Studebakers.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
                1964 Strato Blue was a carry-over color that was indeed used on '65 Studebakers.
                Did you ever see an Original New '65 in Dark Blue? The only ones that came to the U.S. that I have seen were Silver Blue Metallic (Light) similar to '64 Laguna Blue. None shown in the limited small Brochures.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yes, I have seen them. More than one '65 Cruiser, a '65 Commander 2 door sedan, and a local Chapter member owns a '65 Daytona Sports Sedan that is identical to the one pictured - Strato Blue with a white vinyl top...

Comment

This one is the original color. It has been painted at least once so the shade may be off some but its at least close. This car once belonged to Ernie Preece ,the founding father of the Hamilton Chapter, and back when he had the car it was pristine. The picture here really doesn't show the cars condition , the previous owner did not maintain the car very well and it sure deteriated but the present owner has taken steps to inprove it and does have plans to do some restoration to it. I also don't think it sits out in the elements like it had in the past.
                    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Those wire wheelcovers...were those original Studebaker items?
                      They look very much like those pictured on the Hawk in this advertisement from 1963:

Andy
                      62 GT

Comment

Originally posted by Andy R. View Post
                        Those wire wheelcovers...were those original Studebaker items?
                        They look very much like those pictured on the Hawk in this advertisement from 1963:

It's hard to tell at that angle, but they look a lot like the wires I had on my '78 Dodge Diplomat. Chrysler introduced them in the early-to-mid '70s and they were used on pretty much anything that had 15" wheels (except the big C-body cars ... AFAIK). I believe they also made a 14" version for the Dart and Valiant.
                        Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

I've never seen that 'SCAT' dealer recruiting ad from 1963 before-----interesting!

Comment

Working...
                          X