Good to be home...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good to be home...

Well, we made it back to Hazlehurst, GA at 10:00 Sunday night. Man oh man, did I ever have a great time. I managed to snap a few hundred pics, and I'll get them up sometime soon.

We arrived in SB at 5:00 Wednesday evening. Got unloaded and my mom, sister, and I got 'lost' in South Bend just riding around in the Orange truck. It was really amazing to see Studebaker still somewhat prominent in the town.

Thursday we made it to the Fairgrounds right before noon I think. I've never seen so many Studes before. There was so many that I probably didn't get to look at half of them. I only got to look at maybe a dozen or so vendor booths. I did meet several forum members, and it's great to put faces with names. I spent the majority of Thursday talking to a lot of great people and autographing quite a few Tunring Wheels.

Friday we slept a little late, and went over to SASCO for a few hours. I dug and dug trying to fing a complete set of interior panels for my Daytona, but eventually gave up before I found a set.
    Then we headed off to the drags. We lost the parade of Studes heading that way, and asked 5 people on the way there for directions. But we did make it, and what fun it was seeing all those Studes heading down the strip! I didn't run my truck, but watching it was good enough for me. Karl Sparks had the Twin Charger out there, he gets the smokiest burnout award. (As well as the most rubber remnents on the rear bumper) It was a lot of fun watching Gary Ash run, I think his best time was somewhere around 24 seconds.

I won the Best Young Author Award for my article in the May TW. Thanks Art and Ann. And thanks go out to Joe and Nancy Bacon (wonderful people with the prettiest 56J I've ever seen) for picking up the award for me at the banquet and giving it to me personally with their own little ceremony.

My favorite thing was the Test Track tour. There was 139 Studes at the Walmart parking lot that paraded out there, and several more already there, so probably around 200 cars out there on the track. There was supposedly a speed limit, but we all managed to really get down on the gas pedal! I hit 65-70 in the truck numerous times.

I'd also like to say thanks to my Parents for allowing me to do all of this. They get the credit for making the trip happen, and I'm extremely grateful. And a special thanks to my Grandad for hauling my '59 PU up there with his truck. It wouldn't have been the same without my truck there.

Anyways, more later. I'm tired and heading off to bed.

Matthew Burnette

Glad you had a good time, Matthew and got home safely. The proving grounds pix are great!

Chris Pile
    The Studebaker Special
    Midway Chapter SDC
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Glad you had a good time, Matthew and got home safely. The proving grounds pix are great!

Chris Pile
      The Studebaker Special
      Midway Chapter SDC
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

It was nice to meet you and your Mom and Dad and grandfather, Matt,sounds like you enjoyed the meet, I know I did.

Frank van Doorn
        1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
        1963 Daytona Conv
        1941 Champion R-2 Rod
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

It was nice to meet you and your Mom and Dad and grandfather, Matt,sounds like you enjoyed the meet, I know I did.

Frank van Doorn
          1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
          1963 Daytona Conv
          1941 Champion R-2 Rod
          Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Sorry I missed meeting you, Matthew. Did you get your free "21 & Under T-shirt? If not, email me off-forum.

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
            Woodbury, Minnesota
            sigpic
            Bob Shaw
            Rush City, Minnesota
            1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
            "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

Sorry I missed meeting you, Matthew. Did you get your free "21 & Under T-shirt? If not, email me off-forum.

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
              Woodbury, Minnesota
              sigpic
              Bob Shaw
              Rush City, Minnesota
              1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
              "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

Matthew,
                It was great seeing you piloting the, do you call it the Orange Crate?, around the track. I would have liked to meet you earlier and chat a bit, but maybe next time.

Tim K.
                '64 R2 GT Hawk
                Tim K.
                \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Matthew,
                  It was great seeing you piloting the, do you call it the Orange Crate?, around the track. I would have liked to meet you earlier and chat a bit, but maybe next time.

Tim K.
                  '64 R2 GT Hawk
                  Tim K.
                  \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Yeah, maybe next time, Tim!
                    BTW, the truck gets called the Orange Crate, Pumpkin, Old Orange, and of course, Matthew's Truck. [)]

Matthew Burnette
                    '59 Scotsman
                    '63 Daytona
                    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Yeah, maybe next time, Tim!
                      BTW, the truck gets called the Orange Crate, Pumpkin, Old Orange, and of course, Matthew's Truck. [)]

Matthew Burnette
                      '59 Scotsman
                      '63 Daytona
                      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Was great to meet you and your family, Matthew! Had a nice chat with your Grandfather (who was much younger than I pictured!) at your truck Thursday while we were waiting for you. We drove out from Rich's spot in Molly, with your Grandfather at the wheel[^] I get a kick out of letting others drive it...

Also had fun talking to your folks at the museum Friday morning, about Molly vs. the new yellow 'Vette...

To you and your family- what a great bunch, and am looking forward to seeing you all again soon!!

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                        Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Was great to meet you and your family, Matthew! Had a nice chat with your Grandfather (who was much younger than I pictured!) at your truck Thursday while we were waiting for you. We drove out from Rich's spot in Molly, with your Grandfather at the wheel[^] I get a kick out of letting others drive it...

Also had fun talking to your folks at the museum Friday morning, about Molly vs. the new yellow 'Vette...

To you and your family- what a great bunch, and am looking forward to seeing you all again soon!!

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                          Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Just got unpacked.2200 miles in 48 hours. Time to catch up on some sleep.Enjoyed meeting you and your mom and dad. Also enjoyed your Truck.Wish the Twin had made a better showing. But I'll fix it.
                            P.S Really liked meeting all those who made it from the Forum.

63 Twin Supercharged Avanti
                            64 Avanti R3w/NOS
                            88LSC Avanti 350 Supercharged w/NOS

Comment

Just got unpacked.2200 miles in 48 hours. Time to catch up on some sleep.Enjoyed meeting you and your mom and dad. Also enjoyed your Truck.Wish the Twin had made a better showing. But I'll fix it.
                              P.S Really liked meeting all those who made it from the Forum.

63 Twin Supercharged Avanti
                              64 Avanti R3w/NOS
                              88LSC Avanti 350 Supercharged w/NOS

Comment

Working...
                              X