PDA

View Full Version : Crime in South Bend

Samjoe
01-12-2012, 06:08 AM
Now is this something I should be worrying about? The way I heard it portrayed is that , I will be assaulted, robbed or something,even in the company of my fellow Studebakerites. I will be mocked,taken advantaged of,panhandled,and any other number of things,anyone could think of? Should I hide my money in my shoe or somewhere else ect. That I should get off the train 20-40 miles away and drive in. That I should have a bazooka on my person or at the very least hire the "Terminator" to accompany me and my wife. Is it safe or just plain risky adventure to come to South Bend?

jclary
01-12-2012, 06:39 AM
Well Sam...it could depend on who of us shows up. If you run into me, you might be assaulted with endless boorish southern stories as I attempt to make friends. Bob Palma could beat you to death with technical details. Mathew Burdett might hammer you, and Bob Andrews might go "postal!" There is a big possibility that you could become encased in eye candy...or...heaven forbid...found in parts!

raoul5788
01-12-2012, 07:17 AM
Well Sam...it could depend on who of us shows up. If you run into me, you might be assaulted with endless boorish southern stories as I attempt to make friends. Bob Palma could beat you to death with technical details. Mathew Burdett might hammer you, and Bob Andrews might go "postal!" There is a big possibility that you could become encased in eye candy...or...heaven forbid...found in parts!

Now that there is funny!

mlepay
01-12-2012, 11:25 AM
Now this is an interesting thread! Sam I think I can say you wil be safe in South Bend. As in any city there are areas to avoid. However, all the areas that incompass the Meet (Century Center, Double Tree, SNM, Fairgrouunds, etc) are quite safe and well patrolled. Contrary to what some may say we are not little Chicago! So you can leave the Tommy Gun home this year <grin>

Did you decide what mode of transpo you were going to use this year, I have not had a chance to go look at the other thread?

Wishing you a safe happy and UNEVENTFUL trip!!

Bob Henning
01-12-2012, 11:58 AM
Some days its a risky adventure just getting out of bed. Crime is everywhere in every city, big and small. You can leave your assault rifle and body armour at home. Just bring yourself and your vehicle (if you have one) and enjoy yourself. The only thing you will be assaulted with is a good Studebaker story in the parking lot. That is the best part of any meet.

Bob Henning
Co-Chair

Chris_Dresbach
01-19-2012, 10:47 PM
South Bend isn't too bad. The downtown area is fairly safe, I don't have a problem walking around there. The fairgrounds where the show will be is in the county and NOTHING happens in that area. If you do decide to go exploring around the city, just remember basic stuff like to lock doors, don't let valuables sit out, (like a GPS) and try to travel in pairs. South Bend has "the hood" like most other citys, and you will know it when you find it, but I've driven Ely around almost every corner of town at least once at any given hour of the day and have never had any problems.

devildog
02-15-2012, 05:59 AM
Chris, since you are a South Bend resident, what is the true definition of 'Hoosier'. I have heard many suggestions, but always wondered what is the truth. I am looking forward to this event, first timer.
Thanks to all that are arranging this event !!! I am sure it is a very safe place.

Joe

Chris_Dresbach
02-20-2012, 10:38 PM
Chris, since you are a South Bend resident, what is the true definition of 'Hoosier'. I have heard many suggestions, but always wondered what is the truth. I am looking forward to this event, first timer.
Thanks to all that are arranging this event !!! I am sure it is a very safe place.

Joe

Hoosier: Any individual that is a native of Indiana. The true origin of the word is still unclear. I've heard a few old stories of where the word came from, but it could be anything, probably a fabricated name.

stevo5671
02-21-2012, 11:29 AM
All kids in Indiana take "Indiana History" in 4th grade and the word "Hoosier" is a topic that is studied. The short answer is that even us Hoosiers don't know. Like Chris said, there are several origins and meanings to the word and no one knows for sure the right one. My personal favorite is that Indiana was well known for having hospitable citizens. People traveling through Indiana back in the day would stop by a stranger's house looking for a place to stay. When they would knock on the door, the homeowner, in their best Indiana accent would say who's shere? (actual translation who's there but I guess it sounded like Hoosier). That is one of the possible origins.

glen
02-21-2012, 04:04 PM
For those who want TOO MUCH INFORMATION (TMI) on the word "Hoosiers," I submit the following link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoosier for your reading pleasure. As it has been already mentioned, even folks in Indiana are not really sure, as the above reading, will certainly a test to! :cool:

beatnik64
02-21-2012, 05:54 PM
Mr. Samjoe, Being born and raised in South Bend might make my next statement a little tilted but.... the city is safe, common sense goes a long way of course but that is true anywhere... Even in the most back woods small town laiden counties there is still trouble to be found...plus I wanna see as many Studebaker fans back in South Bend as we can fit on her streets and parkways.

Sidenote on the "HOOSIER' thing... one of the best stories I remember as a 4th grader was that is the earily days of the state Indiana was kind of the wild west of our county (most western states did not yet existe in 1816) so some earily lawlessness and general rebel rousing would some times results in large brawls outside of taverns and bars... during the craziness of a brawl someone might get a part of their ear chewed off (people fought dirty in those days) and after the fight a person might walk by and yell out "WHO'S EAR!".. now speed that up and add some funny accents and might sound like "HOOSIER!"... its a long shot but I like it...

Funny thing, I'm just now realizing that my Hoosier story might make my first statement a hard to belive...whoops hahahahahaha Ohwell Dig it

Welcome
02-21-2012, 06:32 PM
Mr. Samjoe, Being born and raised in South Bend might make my next statement a little tilted but.... the city is safe, common sense goes a long way of course but that is true anywhere... Even in the most back woods small town laiden counties there is still trouble to be found...plus I wanna see as many Studebaker fans back in South Bend as we can fit on her streets and parkways.

Sidenote on the "HOOSIER' thing... one of the best stories I remember as a 4th grader was that is the earily days of the state Indiana was kind of the wild west of our county (most western states did not yet existe in 1816) so some earily lawlessness and general rebel rousing would some times results in large brawls outside of taverns and bars... during the craziness of a brawl someone might get a part of their ear chewed off (people fought dirty in those days) and after the fight a person might walk by and yell out "WHO'S EAR!".. now speed that up and add some funny accents and might sound like "HOOSIER!"... its a long shot but I like it...

Funny thing, I'm just now realizing that my Hoosier story might make my first statement a hard to belive...whoops hahahahahaha Ohwell Dig it

I heard a slightly different variation of that story than you did.

Back in those early days of Indiana whenever they’d have any occasion to hold a dance the guys would line up on one side and the gals on the other. To avoid more fights than necessary over gals, the guys would first ask each other ..."hoosierfavorite"?

That’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it until proven otherwise!!!:rolleyes:

PS: A little bit more of Indiana history that just happened to be on our local news last night:

South Bend was actually located in the State of Michigan!!! The current Indiana/Michigan Stateline was exactly 10 miles further south than where it is which would have made it; South Bend, Michigan.

Chris_Dresbach
02-21-2012, 10:21 PM
South Bend was actually located in the State of Michigan!!! The current Indiana/Michigan Stateline was exactly 10 miles further south than where it is which would have made it; South Bend, Michigan.[/COLOR]

And here's some other useless trivia. The border between Indiana and Michigan is actually lost, as in nobody knows exactly where it is. We have a rough idea, but that's about it. When the state line was moved so Indiana would have part of lake Michigan, the markes the surveyors used were made of wood! The wood posts rotted away and now we aren't sure where they were. Oops. :p

jclary
02-21-2012, 10:38 PM
I bet the respective county tax collectors know exactly where the borders are!

Welcome
02-22-2012, 12:52 AM
And here's some other useless trivia. The border between Indiana and Michigan is actually lost, as in nobody knows exactly where it is. We have a rough idea, but that's about it. When the state line was moved so Indiana would have part of lake Michigan, the markes the surveyors used were made of wood! The wood posts rotted away and now we aren't sure where they were. Oops. :p

Chris, walk out your back door and go approx. 250 yards straight north. An east-west line ran through that field about half-way between your house and that old railroad bed ...THAT WAS THE ORIGINAL INDIANA/MICHIGAN STATELINE!!! If you don't belive it, go two door west to the home of L. Kish. Ask her if you could possibly see the "Abstract of Title" to her property. If that still doesn't satisfy you, go to the Office of the Surveyor of St. Joseph Country and ask to be shown "Field Book #1" and the old Indiana/Michigan stateline pointed out to you. It's just that simple!!! I'm kind of shocked you didn't know about that!

PS: When are you finally going to get over here to pick up all these TURNING WHEELS???:rolleyes::rolleyes:

White Hawk
02-22-2012, 12:53 PM
"All kids in Indiana take "Indiana History" in 4th grade and the word "Hoosier" is a topic that is studied. The short answer is that even us Hoosiers don't know. Like Chris said, there are several origins and meanings to the word and no one knows for sure the right one. My personal favorite is that Indiana was well known for having hospitable citizens. People traveling through Indiana back in the day would stop by a stranger's house looking for a place to stay. When they would knock on the door, the homeowner, in their best Indiana accent would say who's shere? (actual translation who's there but I guess it sounded like Hoosier).

This is the version I learned in Catholic grade school in South Bend: the Nuns said so, and I believed them!

Bob Bryant
02-22-2012, 04:18 PM
"All kids in Indiana take "Indiana History" in 4th grade and the word "Hoosier" is a topic that is studied. The short answer is that even us Hoosiers don't know. Like Chris said, there are several origins and meanings to the word and no one knows for sure the right one. My personal favorite is that Indiana was well known for having hospitable citizens. People traveling through Indiana back in the day would stop by a stranger's house looking for a place to stay. When they would knock on the door, the homeowner, in their best Indiana accent would say who's shere? (actual translation who's there but I guess it sounded like Hoosier).

This is the version I learned in Catholic grade school in South Bend: the Nuns said so, and I believed them!

Having grown up in South Milford, Indiana and being a former member of the South Milford Sodbusters 4-H Club my teachers and advisors would have concurred with Mike.

Welcome
02-22-2012, 09:31 PM

If Sister Maria taught you that at Our Lady, you'd darn well better believe it ...or else!!!:rolleyes:

Chris_Dresbach
02-22-2012, 10:31 PM
Chris, walk out your back door and go approx. 250 yards straight north. An east-west line ran through that field about half-way between your house and that old railroad bed ...THAT WAS THE ORIGINAL INDIANA/MICHIGAN STATELINE!!! If you don't belive it, go two door west to the home of L. Kish. Ask her if you could possibly see the "Abstract of Title" to her property. If that still doesn't satisfy you, go to the Office of the Surveyor of St. Joseph Country and ask to be shown "Field Book #1" and the old Indiana/Michigan stateline pointed out to you. It's just that simple!!! I'm kind of shocked you didn't know about that!

PS: When are you finally going to get over here to pick up all these TURNING WHEELS???:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well, now that I have a reason to go roaming around the field behind my house.... :rolleyes:
The TWs, whenever your home. When is a good time?

Welcome
02-22-2012, 11:11 PM
Well, now that I have a reason to go roaming around the field behind my house.... :rolleyes:
The TWs, whenever your home. When is a good time?

Tomorrow between 4 & 6 would be great! Are you going to want the Studebaker SASCO filing cabinet ...the last item Studebaker sold out of Plant #8 ...too??? Bring the Jeep and fold-down the seats ...you'll need all the extra room you can make because there is a LOT more Stude books here than you could ever imagine ...like "Duo Cento" books, Stude Racing books and all sorts of Avanti lit.

Chris_Dresbach
02-23-2012, 06:56 PM
Tomorrow between 4 & 6 would be great! Are you going to want the Studebaker SASCO filing cabinet ...the last item Studebaker sold out of Plant #8 ...too??? Bring the Jeep and fold-down the seats ...you'll need all the extra room you can make because there is a LOT more Stude books here than you could ever imagine ...like "Duo Cento" books, Stude Racing books and all sorts of Avanti lit.

Would have been there, but just now read this! How about this weekend?