This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st time out for my 1946 M15A-28

I've owned this "keeper" for about a year, but it hasn't worked its way up the priority list in that time to get it running and driving dependably. Our local SDC chapter (Whatcom County) holds an annual show in early September at a restored farm just outside of Bellingham. I made it my goal a few weeks ago to bring the M15 to that show. Redid the brakes and a variety of other tasks and just finished in time.

It was a great day, a great venue, and a great show . Here's the farm and the M15 on the show grounds.

More pictures here...

I'm trying hard to resist the temptation to make this truck "pretty". I'd like to keep it "barn fresh" looking. I will build some cab high stake sides, but hopefully leave it at that.

It goes down the road like a Stude should [^]

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Ya know, dick - she's really a cutie![:X]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Thanks, Bob...I also think it's "cute" (as "cute" as a 1 ton truck can be [)]). This is a real "vertical" truck. It has a short wheelbase (128"), and fairly rare 20" Budd wheels (rare for a 1 ton Stude...most 1 tons came with 17" wheels). The tall wheels and short wheelbase make it look as tall as it is long. I think the stake sides will accentuate the "vertical" and make it even "cuter" (if that is possible )

These M trucks were a real milestone for Studebaker. Prior to the M series, Studebaker was barely in the truck market. The M series sold like hotcakes! These trucks put them "on the truck map". The 2R series that followed continued to build Studebaker's reputation as a truck maker to be reckoned with.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Thanks, Bob...I also think it's "cute" (as "cute" as a 1 ton truck can be [)]). This is a real "vertical" truck. It has a short wheelbase (128"), and fairly rare 20" Budd wheels (rare for a 1 ton Stude...most 1 tons came with 17" wheels). The tall wheels and short wheelbase make it look as tall as it is long. I think the stake sides will accentuate the "vertical" and make it even "cuter" (if that is possible )

These M trucks were a real milestone for Studebaker. Prior to the M series, Studebaker was barely in the truck market. The M series sold like hotcakes! These trucks put them "on the truck map". The 2R series that followed continued to build Studebaker's reputation as a truck maker to be reckoned with.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Looking good, Dick!

I spied Mt. Baker there in the background. Looks like it was a beautiful day in Bellingham.

Had a good day here. I nailed up scraps of plywood to the "green board" that forms the bottom skirt on the walls of my new shop, and then used Darrell's Bobcat to dump some gravel around the inside perimeter of the walls. The plywood was to keep the gravel from spilling outside where the green board (pressure-treated 2X6) came well above the level of the outside ground. The building sits on slightly sloping ground. Now I have to survey the ground inside with a laser level, and scrape off the high spots, and fill in the low spots, and then lay in about 6" of gravel, preparatory to pouring the concrete floor. I'll get a contractor for THAT job.

To keep this on topic, I used the Bobcat to move two Studebakers so I could mow under them. As it happens, the distance between the front frame horns on a C body exactly matches the spacing between a pair of the bucket teeth on the Bobcat, so I was able to carefully slip the bucket teeth under the frame horns, lift the whole front of the car, and then roll it back, causing no damage. Both cars had no front body sheet metal on, BTW.

Got to get more gravel, though.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Looking good, Dick!

I spied Mt. Baker there in the background. Looks like it was a beautiful day in Bellingham.

Had a good day here. I nailed up scraps of plywood to the "green board" that forms the bottom skirt on the walls of my new shop, and then used Darrell's Bobcat to dump some gravel around the inside perimeter of the walls. The plywood was to keep the gravel from spilling outside where the green board (pressure-treated 2X6) came well above the level of the outside ground. The building sits on slightly sloping ground. Now I have to survey the ground inside with a laser level, and scrape off the high spots, and fill in the low spots, and then lay in about 6" of gravel, preparatory to pouring the concrete floor. I'll get a contractor for THAT job.

To keep this on topic, I used the Bobcat to move two Studebakers so I could mow under them. As it happens, the distance between the front frame horns on a C body exactly matches the spacing between a pair of the bucket teeth on the Bobcat, so I was able to carefully slip the bucket teeth under the frame horns, lift the whole front of the car, and then roll it back, causing no damage. Both cars had no front body sheet metal on, BTW.

Got to get more gravel, though.

Comment

Working...
              X