PDA

View Full Version : Amazing barn find.

rockinhawk
01-09-2012, 08:01 PM
I got a call from the local Chevy dealer today. Actually he owns a Ford dealership in one town, a nissan in another town, and the Buick dealership along with the Chevy place here.
He asked me to come by his lot and give an opinion on a car he had just taken in on trade. he said "It's a Studebaker El Presidente, or somthing like that."

When I got there I was shocked to see a beautiful Late 55 President State sedan. The car was covered with dust but the red and white paint shown through like stars on a clear night. The interior and carpet looked brand new. The seats had plastic sheets spread over them. It had a V8 4bbl with 3spd OD. The tires looked to be new when parked.
There were a few bad places on the chrome, but pretty nice overall. The WCFB was frozen up and I couldn't turn the engine by hand. It had a HUGE 6V battery and what appeared to be a factory A/C compressor. I looked inside for a knee knocker and found none. Then I noticed the plastic tubes coming through the rear package shelf.i Could not get into the trunk but as near as I could tell the car was almost perfect. As best as I could inspect while still on a rollback.

The story I got was, it had belonged to an old man who had it restored 20+ years ago, took ill, and put it in storage. He recently died and his grandson traded it in on a new truck. Sale price as it stands right now is $6500. If I could afford it, It would already be at my shop. If anyone is interested you can call Woody Folsom Chevrolet at 912 375 2503.

My main photographer has abandoned us here in So.Ga. and moved north. His replacement is a collage girl with a boyfriend in another collage so her Grandpa time is limited. But i will try to get Sabrina to post some pictures as soon as I can.

If anyone is interested you can contact me or call the dealership direct. NT

kmac530
01-09-2012, 08:15 PM
It never ceases to amaze me at the things that are still coming out of barns and garages and fields everyday and what is surely still out there. It is mind bottling....you know, when your mind is all bottled up....

mbstude
01-09-2012, 09:18 PM
Go figure. I leave Hazlehurst and a President State shows up! Seems like a lot of money for a non runner, though.

Has it been stored in Hazlehurst the past 20 years? Odd that you never knew about it.

rockinhawk
01-10-2012, 05:35 AM
The car came out of Ludowici. Last tag ,I think was 90. There was some paperwork in it from Colorado. I don't believe it would take much to make it run, but you never know until you get into it.
Go figure. I leave Hazlehurst and a President State shows up! Seems like a lot of money for a non runner, though.

Has it been stored in Hazlehurst the past 20 years? Odd that you never knew about it.

01-10-2012, 08:35 AM
I got a call from the local Chevy dealer today. Actually he owns a Ford dealership in one town, a nissan in another town, and the Buick dealership along with the Chevy place here.
He asked me to come by his lot and give an opinion on a car he had just taken in on trade. he said "It's a Studebaker El Presidente, or somthing like that."

When I got there I was shocked to see a beautiful Late 55 President State sedan. The car was covered with dust but the red and white paint shown through like stars on a clear night. The interior and carpet looked brand new. The seats had plastic sheets spread over them. It had a V8 4bbl with 3spd OD. The tires looked to be new when parked.
There were a few bad places on the chrome, but pretty nice overall. The WCFB was frozen up and I couldn't turn the engine by hand. It had a HUGE 6V battery and what appeared to be a factory A/C compressor. I looked inside for a knee knocker and found none. Then I noticed the plastic tubes coming through the rear package shelf.i Could not get into the trunk but as near as I could tell the car was almost perfect. As best as I could inspect while still on a rollback.

The story I got was, it had belonged to an old man who had it restored 20+ years ago, took ill, and put it in storage. He recently died and his grandson traded it in on a new truck. Sale price as it stands right now is $6500. If I could afford it, It would already be at my shop. If anyone is interested you can call Woody Folsom Chevrolet at 912 375 2503.

My main photographer has abandoned us here in So.Ga. and moved north. His replacement is a collage girl with a boyfriend in another collage so her Grandpa time is limited. But i will try to get Sabrina to post some pictures as soon as I can.

If anyone is interested you can contact me or call the dealership direct. NT
A few years ago someone in Nebraska advertised a '55 President with 30 factory options including a/c. I couldn't think up 30 options no matter how hard I tried, but sure always wondered what became of the car.

Green53
01-10-2012, 11:17 AM
I remember going out and looking at the car in Nebraska. I remember it had a lot of stuff on it but it needed a lot of TLC and not worth the asking price.

Denny L

clonelark
01-10-2012, 12:24 PM
I'd say the price needs to be more like $2800 at the most, very nice driving car if you could get it cheap enough, 55 Presidents are the nicest looking cars when finished right. He's asking C-K prices for a 4 dr.

rockinhawk
01-10-2012, 03:36 PM
I'd say the price needs to be more like $2800 at the most, very nice driving car if you could get it cheap enough, 55 Presidents are the nicest looking cars when finished right. He's asking C-K prices for a 4 dr. That's kinda what I thought untill I saw it. the price may not be firm. Woody's sales slogan is "TAWWWLK to me"

ma1951
01-10-2012, 05:18 PM
Could if have been walthourville ga. Just a few miles from ludowici? May have heard about this car several years ago.

SN-60
01-10-2012, 05:26 PM
Kind of interesting finding a stickshift in a loaded top of the line model like that, but with the benefit of 57 years hindsight,it's probably a blessing!

rockinhawk
01-11-2012, 07:36 AM
Could if have been walthourville ga. Just a few miles from ludowici? May have heard about this car several years ago.Could be the same car. It has a SDC sticker on it. They told me Ludowici but there are only 7 miles between the two towns.

BobPalma
01-11-2012, 09:50 AM
Could be the same car. It has a SDC sticker on it. They told me Ludowici but there are only 7 miles between the two towns.

Neil: Referencing SN-60's remark above yours: Is it my imagination, or was there a higher-proportion of manual-transmission cars sold in the south during the 50s and 60s?

I ask this because when I went to the fall Hershey and Carlisle meets for many years, it seemed like there were a lot more oddball cars with manual transmissions offered for sale from "down south" than elsewhere.

For example, we'd rarely, if ever, see a garden-variety 1963 Galaxie 500 4-door sedan with a 289 and three-speed on the column here in an urban midwest area, but it wouldn't be uncommon to see one offered for sale in the Carlisle Car Corral from the Carolinas or Georgia.

Just wondering if my observation had any validity, in your opinion. (This overdrive-equipped 1955 President State seems to validate what I've observed over a period of years.) BP

rockinhawk
01-11-2012, 06:01 PM
Neil: Referencing SN-60's remark above yours: Is it my imagination, or was there a higher-proportion of manual-transmission cars sold in the south during the 50s and 60s?

I ask this because when I went to the fall Hershey and Carlisle meets for many years, it seemed like there were a lot more oddball cars with manual transmissions offered for sale from "down south" than elsewhere.

For example, we'd rarely, if ever, see a garden-variety 1963 Galaxie 500 4-door sedan with a 289 and three-speed on the column here in an urban midwest area, but it wouldn't be uncommon to see one offered for sale in the Carlisle Car Corral from the Carolinas or Georgia.

Just wondering if my observation had any validity, in your opinion. (This overdrive-equipped 1955 President State seems to validate what I've observed over a period of years.) BP
As a boy growing up in rural so. Ga. I recall many discussions by the old folks about" them new-fangled orty-matic transmissions" Generally the common folks were afraid they would break down and no one knew how to fix'em. Or it would cost so much to fix it,it wouldn't be worth it. The old 3spd was tried and true. Folks trusted them, and a farmer could fix it or change it out himself if it did give trouble. Automatics had a reputation of poor gas mileage,and many people assosiated them with laziness. I remember hearing one man say "I'll shift my own gears thank you!" and another "I would'nt have one of those SHIFTLESS things."
My Dad believed, as do I, that you have more control over your vehicle if you are using it to work with. ie: Pulling stumps out of the ground or stuck tractors out of the mud. I have 4 trucks that I use in my business. All of them are manuel.

jclary
01-11-2012, 06:17 PM
As a boy growing up in rural so. Ga. I recall many discussions by the old folks about" them new-fangled orty-matic transmissions" Generally the common folks were afraid they would break down and no one knew how to fix'em. Or it would cost so much to fix it,it wouldn't be worth it. The old 3spd was tried and true. Folks trusted them, and a farmer could fix it or change it out himself if it did give trouble. Automatics had a reputation of poor gas mileage,and many people assosiated them with laziness. I remember hearing one man say "I'll shift my own gears thank you!" and another "I would'nt have one of those SHIFTLESS things."
My Dad believed, as do I, that you have more control over your vehicle if you are using it to work with. ie: Pulling stumps out of the ground or stuck tractors out of the mud. I have 4 trucks that I use in my business. All of them are manuel.

Yep! I could have written everything you posted Neil. In our youth...in our part of the country...automatics were for "wimmin" and sissies!:p:)

Flashback
01-11-2012, 06:29 PM
Neil, I can imagine the feeling when you saw this car. If you are anything like me, I still have that "feeling" when something like this happens. Growing up in a junk yard, cars have always been a part of my life. That thrill of "the find" is just as strong today at 67. Ida liked to have been there.

BobPalma
01-11-2012, 06:30 PM
Thanks, Neil and John; that's what I thought.

On one of our many Fall Carlisle adventures, my Hudson buddy with whom I traveled, Larry Kennedy, bought a 1969 Plymouth Fury 4-door hardtop (yes, a full-size 1969 Plymouth Fury!) with a 318 and column-shift three speed, from someone up from the Carolinas, IIRC.

What an oddball! It was probably the only full-size, three-on-the-tree 1969 Plymouth in Indiana when he got it back.

'Kinda neat, how different areas of the country represent different markets. BP

Mr. Bill
01-11-2012, 07:30 PM
Allow me to elaborate on an unusually equipped 1971 Ford LTD Brougham in my hometown of Hamlet, NC. There is also some Studebaker content so I am not called out for talking exclusively about Fords.

Along with the upscale Brougham interior and exterior touches, this particular unit was equipped with power windows, power locks, power split seats, air conditioning, AM/8 track and motivated through a three speed manual shift on the column. It was driven exclusively by a monied Mrs. Gulledge who was old school and did not like automatic transmissions. Every three to four years she got a new Ford, and ordering one with a "straight drive" as my dad called it was never really a problem, at least up until 1971.

As the story goes, Ford questioned the order and did not want to build a LTD Brougham with a three speed. The fact that Mrs. Gulledge's husband had been a successful Ford dealer in the past and some of their sons currently (still do) owned Ford dealerships here in the Carolinas got the car through. Mrs. Gulledge drove it until about 1979 when it was involved in a wreck that damaged the front end sheet metal. The car was replaced subsequently with a 1979 LTD II and later a 1983 Mercury Grand Marquis. By this time, either Mrs. Gulledge was persuaded to accept an automatic transmission or Ford stood their ground and flatly refused to build these cars with a manual shift.

I will always have the vision of Mrs. Gulledge driving her unusual '71 LTD Brougham around town. If I remember correctly, the car went back to her sons. My dad wanted to buy it as the damage was minimal and would be an easy fix. If one ever comes across a three speed equipped '71 LTD Brougham that is beige with a dark green vinyl top and green interior, that would almost certainly have to be Mrs. G's car.

Now for the Studebaker content: It seems funny to me that the original owner went with that "new fangled" air conditioning system and did not opt for an automatic transmission.

Not too long ago, I was talking with a gentleman who does picture framing for me and he informed that he sold Chevrolets in the early to mid 1960's. He remarked that it seemed they had quite a few Bel-Air models with air conditioning while higher priced Impalas and Caprices often lacked the feature. He deduced that people who really wanted air conditioning would settle for a lower trim line to offset the extra cost of the air conditioning. He also commented that many people did not want to have anything to do with air conditioning for fear of it "ruining" their gas mileage.

Mr. Bill
Hamlet, NC