1958 Starlight Hardtop Headlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1958 Starlight Hardtop Headlights

Any chance there were any early production 1958 President Starlight Hardtops that only had two headlights ? Thanks, Dan

None, all 1958 Sedans/Hardtops/Wagons except Scotsmans, had the large 4 Headlight capable Pods, Champions had 2 Headlights in the same big Pod.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich is correct. Why do you ask? Are you looking at switching out or possibly maybe need parts?

Comment

I was only hoping as I really like that model with that ONE exception. Sadly, that's the answer I expected.

Comment

Originally posted by CarCrosswordDan View Post
          I was only hoping as I really like that model with that ONE exception. Sadly, that's the answer I expected.
          When I was building one of my racing tractors, one other mechanic told me "When in doubt, modify!!"
          On some things, that's the answer. On this it's up to you.
          Chris Dresbach

Comment

I wonder what it would look like to take a '58J body and transplant a '57 President front clip, or - wilder yet - a '58 Scotsman clip, and trim it out like a Prez but with only single lamps. Could be pretty cool.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by CarCrosswordDan View Post
              Any chance there were any early production 1958 President Starlight Hardtops that only had two headlights ? Thanks, Dan
              The answer is 'no' with one "possible" exception. They weren't sold in North America, but I understand apparently there were some Champion Starlights made for export. All the Starlights sold in North America were Commander and President V8 powered, I think. If they were like other 58 Champion sedans, they would have come with 2 headlights although 4 headlights was always an optional extra on 58 Champions I think. I have only seen a handful of 58 Champion sedans with the single headlights, and have no idea on the situation of the 58 Export Champion Starlights.

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
                I wonder what it would look like to take a '58J body and transplant a '57 President front clip, or - wilder yet - a '58 Scotsman clip, and trim it out like a Prez but with only single lamps. Could be pretty cool.
                It could only look better!
                Lou Van Anne
                62 Champ
                64 R2 GT Hawk
                79 Avanti II

Comment

Originally posted by Jim B PEI View Post
                  The answer is 'no' with one "possible" exception. They weren't sold in North America, but I understand apparently there were some Champion Starlights made for export. All the Starlights sold in North America were Commander and President V8 powered, I think. If they were like other 58 Champion sedans, they would have come with 2 headlights although 4 headlights was always an optional extra on 58 Champions I think. I have only seen a handful of 58 Champion sedans with the single headlights, and have no idea on the situation of the 58 Export Champion Starlights.
                  I remember that. In fact, I think there was a copy of an add for these export only models in a (within the last year and a half) recent issue of TW.
                  Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Van Anne View Post
                    It could only look better!
                    Some of these mashups come out better than others, but I think this one shows the general idea pretty well. Many thanks to Craig Parslow for the J-body pic and to an anonymous donor from many years ago for the front end of the Scotsman.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by JGK 940; 01-10-2012, 04:15 PM. Reason: slpeling

Comment

That '57/'58 Starlight looks pretty darn nice!

Comment

Why don't you guys unscrew the fins too while you are at it. The headlight treatment is part of what makes a 58 hardtop, and without them they become somewhat dull. It's just as silly as putting a 50 or 51 front clip on a 52 hardtop.

Comment

Originally posted by 5859 View Post
                          Why don't you guys unscrew the fins too while you are at it. The headlight treatment is part of what makes a 58 hardtop, and without them they become somewhat dull. It's just as silly as putting a 50 or 51 front clip on a 52 hardtop.

Just playin' "What If," here, buddy. To each his own. No offense expressed or intended.

Personally, I think a '50 Commander/Land Cruiser snout would look great in front of a '52-style hardtop greenhouse. I just haven't gotten around to mashing one up yet.

Comment

Originally posted by JGK 940 View Post
                            Some of these mashups come out better than others, but I think this one shows the general idea pretty well. Many thanks to Craig Parslow for the J-body pic and to an anonymous donor from many years ago for the front end of the Scotsman.
                            I actually really like the looks of that. The only thing I would change is ditch the Scotsman "S" hood ornament for one from a Commander or President.
                            Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by JGK 940 View Post
                              I think a '50 Commander/Land Cruiser snout would look great in front of a '52-style hardtop greenhouse. I just haven't gotten around to mashing one up yet.
                              Keoni, Good thing you've been busy. The '50 Commander/Land Cruiser clip won't fit on the '52. The '51 is a pretty straightforward bolt on.

Hadn't thought about this before but, perhaps the '52 hardtop tub could be attached to the '50 Commander chassis. Land Cruiser would still be too long.
                              Brad Johnson,
                              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                              X