PDA

View Full Version : 1964 Avanti Wire Wheel Covers

EnduraAutoworks
01-07-2012, 09:39 PM
Hello Everyone,

I am looking for some help. A client of mine is the original owner of a 1964 Avanti R2 and I have been servicing this car since the mid 70's. Well, within the last couple of years, we have started to restore the vehicle. Now we are almost done and we are down to the wheels. He has two of the original wire wheel hubcaps that the car came with when he ordered it in 1964. The clips that held them on had failed in the past and he lost two of the caps while driving it over the years. I am looking for a full set but will settle for just two. Can anyone help me find these rare wheel covers?

Thanks,
Tony

01-08-2012, 09:06 AM
Hello Everyone,

I am looking for some help. A client of mine is the original owner of a 1964 Avanti R2 and I have been servicing this car since the mid 70's. Well, within the last couple of years, we have started to restore the vehicle. Now we are almost done and we are down to the wheels. He has two of the original wire wheel hubcaps that the car came with when he ordered it in 1964. The clips that held them on had failed in the past and he lost two of the caps while driving it over the years. I am looking for a full set but will settle for just two. Can anyone help me find these rare wheel covers?

Thanks,
Tony
These are pretty tough items to find, especially in mint condition. And, the clips seem to not be available. I had tried several times to find them at Newman-Altman/SASCO and was told they didn't have them. There is a possibility that Studebaker International may have found them in their takeover of the old SASCO stock as many items were previously uninventoried. I found them in reproduction at a classic Thunderbird vendor in Oklahoma. They were no where near as good at the original Studebaker ones, but they did work. I am sending you a PM (private message) with the email address of a man who has a number of the wire covers, but they all need restoration. Matthew Burnette who posts on this Forum does restore them beautifully.

JDP
01-08-2012, 09:10 AM
These are pretty tough items to find, especially in mint condition. And, the clips seem to not be available. I had tried several times to find them at Newman-Altman/SASCO and was told they didn't have them. There is a possibility that Studebaker International may have found them in their takeover of the old SASCO stock as many items were previously uninventoried. I found them in reproduction at a classic Thunderbird vendor in Oklahoma. They were no where near as good at the original Studebaker ones, but they did work. I am sending you a PM (private message) with the email address of a man who has a number of the wire covers, but they all need restoration. Matthew Burnette who posts on this Forum does restore them beautifully.

SASCO did have them, that's where I got mine, but they were not in the computer, they were just in a stash somewhere.