PDA

View Full Version : Is this a Studebaker tripod jack?

Henry Votel
01-07-2012, 02:28 PM
Hi All,

On eBay: http://preview.tinyurl.com/7h5jrb2

I am not aware of a Studebaker tripod jack being offered in the 40's 50's. Comments please.

Henry Votel
Forest Lake, MN

cvytrk
01-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Henry,
My book of 1951 Studebaker options and accessories does not list a tripod jack. Back in the 60's, I remember seeing these jacks for sale at Sears, Western Auto and all the parts stores had them. While the jack does have a "S" logo, I don't think we should ASSume it is a Studebaker logo. But.....it may be from Studebaker, who knows?

Charlie Attaway
Oxford, GA

Deaf Mute
01-07-2012, 09:29 PM
My Dad used to have a jack like that... I'm sure it was not Studebaker.... if I remember it was quite handy... I wonder what ever happened to it.

dpson
01-08-2012, 04:24 PM
I bought one very similar to that from a local car club member who I've known for years (and trust) who worked for the Studebaker dealer in his town; he said it was from the local dealership.

With that said, even though used by the Studebaker dealer, it doesn't necessarily mean that it was an authorized Studebaker item....

Studedude
01-08-2012, 06:36 PM
I have one of those jacks. It came out of the trunk of one of the many Studes that have passed through here. I have never noticed an "S" logo on it, reckon I'll have to look it over closer. I doubt it's a Studebaker product, but it would be interesting to know if that was the case.

mbstude
01-08-2012, 06:41 PM
There's a tripod jack shown in my '58 Accessories book.

Corvanti
01-08-2012, 07:09 PM
i'm going to call it as a "sears-roebuck" jack, probably sold by others without the "s".

dad worked for sears, in the auto center, in so-cal from 1960 until he retired in the late 80's (when they actually paid their employees a decent amount and had a great "profit-sharing" retirement plan)...

some of the older stores in the los angeles area had signs similar to the lazy "s" in the sears name - probably built in the late 30's.

when we went out for our "sunday afternoon drives", if dad saw a sears store, we would always have to go there.

funny (?) - as i get older, a picture or something said, will recall memories long forgotten... :)

kurtruk
01-08-2012, 07:34 PM
These were recently discussed here:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?56674-Identify-jacks&highlight=tripod+jack

cigarcar62
01-18-2012, 03:07 PM
Yes they are Studebaker. They have the lazy S logo. The other one has the remnants of the official lazy S red and blue decal on the bottom. I believe thugh that they were an accessory offered by Studebaker.

cigarcar62
01-18-2012, 03:18 PM
I am the one selling the jacks and there is no Sears stamp on them. sears usually stamped all their products back then. The lazy S is exactly the same as all the designs I have seen done by Studebaker. The One with the decal remnants is definitely the original one that came on the jack. They did offer a tripod from the comments I have found in the later 1950's