Studebaker Market

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Market

Lee has a good point leave it to the museum to avoid vultures, and the museum sells it to the vultures for even less if they have excess inventory.

JDP/Maryland

64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
    63 GT R2
    63 Lark 2 door
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Lark HT-60Hawk
    59 3E truck
    58 Starlight
    52 & 53 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Lee has a good point leave it to the museum to avoid vultures, and the museum sells it to the vultures for even less if they have excess inventory.

JDP/Maryland

64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
    63 GT R2
    63 Lark 2 door
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Lark HT-60Hawk
    59 3E truck
    58 Starlight
    52 & 53 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Studebaker Market

I've noticed a trend in the last few years and it's the cars and collections coming on the market due to the owners death or health issues. I just bought a R2 Hawk from a widow yesterday, and am looking at a big Studebaker collection from a owner that's too ill to keep his cars today. There are more cars out there then I can afford to buy and the trend seems to be accelerating. I'm not sure if the new breed of Studebaker collectors will absorb all the cars coming on the market, especially the 'under appreciated' models. For example, I'm looking at the "flashy' cars in the collection today, but will only buy the bread and butter cars because I have to. The time may come when even the flashy car market is saturated, time will tell. I predict the values of at least some models may start dropping as our members age.

JDP/Maryland

64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
      63 GT R2
      63 Lark 2 door
      62 Lark 2 door
      60 Lark HT-60Hawk
      59 3E truck
      58 Starlight
      52 & 53 Starliner
      51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I agree that b4 I would even donate it to the museum I would do my homework. There would be legal issues too. If they didn't want it, so be it. If they did, it would be so under agreement that it wouldn't be sold or there could be a possible penalty, again, an issue for an estate lawyer to work out..

I'm trying to look at the best way to keep/preserve not only the work that I've put in by trying to restore the car but, that the factory originally put in b4, during and after it was built.

I'd hate think of it , the Avanti or Hawk, being sold to some kid who just got his/her license, only to have it abused or get
        demolished..

Comment

I agree that b4 I would even donate it to the museum I would do my homework. There would be legal issues too. If they didn't want it, so be it. If they did, it would be so under agreement that it wouldn't be sold or there could be a possible penalty, again, an issue for an estate lawyer to work out..

I'm trying to look at the best way to keep/preserve not only the work that I've put in by trying to restore the car but, that the factory originally put in b4, during and after it was built.

I'd hate think of it , the Avanti or Hawk, being sold to some kid who just got his/her license, only to have it abused or get
          demolished..

Comment

The value of the car wouldn't concern me. What would concern me is what the "family vultures" would do with the cars after I'm worm food. One thing I'm discussing with my wife is leving the cars to either the Studebaker, Packard or AACA museums. At least they would , I hope, be taken care of & appreciated for their looks, not value.

Comment

The value of the car wouldn't concern me. What would concern me is what the "family vultures" would do with the cars after I'm worm food. One thing I'm discussing with my wife is leving the cars to either the Studebaker, Packard or AACA museums. At least they would , I hope, be taken care of & appreciated for their looks, not value.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bonehead007

That will work to a point. The museums aren't going to be able to accept every car offered to them simply because of space issues. Will the Studebaker museum want another Lark, Hawk, Commander, etc. when they already have three of them on display and four more warehoused? I've seen some of this with a tractor I want to loan to a tractor museum... if I were to donate it, they might consider it because they can dispose of it if necessary... loan, they look at it as free storage for me.

Lee

Comment

That will work to a point. The museums aren't going to be able to accept every car offered to them simply because of space issues. Will the Studebaker museum want another Lark, Hawk, Commander, etc. when they already have three of them on display and four more warehoused? I've seen some of this with a tractor I want to loan to a tractor museum... if I were to donate it, they might consider it because they can dispose of it if necessary... loan, they look at it as free storage for me.

Lee

Comment

demolished..
                    The problem is that once the title is signed over to a museum, it's their property to do with what they wish. More likely if you have a bunch of stipulations added onto the "sale", they'll tell you to keep it unless it's a rare car. It'd be like me selling you a car, tell you you can't sell it... five years down the road, if you sell it what recourse do I have? None, the car was legally your property and the car won't end back up in your or my garage because it's now the personal property of the new buyer.

Comment

demolished..
                      The problem is that once the title is signed over to a museum, it's their property to do with what they wish. More likely if you have a bunch of stipulations added onto the "sale", they'll tell you to keep it unless it's a rare car. It'd be like me selling you a car, tell you you can't sell it... five years down the road, if you sell it what recourse do I have? None, the car was legally your property and the car won't end back up in your or my garage because it's now the personal property of the new buyer.

Comment

Museums are great, but they'll fill up with donations eventually and then dispose of the cars as they see fit. Since this is a drivers club, it would be a shame to see so many good usable cars go to museums. There are lots of people in the club under 50 (I'm one), so I would hope that most cars from older owners might end up in their hands to enjoy and maintain.

The sad part is there almost certainly going to be a shrinkage of the club in the next 10 years due to the ravages of time. It will be a critical time to get "younger" people involved as collectors and drivers. Fortunately, Studebaker publicity and respect has been going in the positive direction in the last 5 years or so, so it might not be an impossible dream to see lots of these cars from older collectors finding new, caring owners. I hope so.
                        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Museums are great, but they'll fill up with donations eventually and then dispose of the cars as they see fit. Since this is a drivers club, it would be a shame to see so many good usable cars go to museums. There are lots of people in the club under 50 (I'm one), so I would hope that most cars from older owners might end up in their hands to enjoy and maintain.

The sad part is there almost certainly going to be a shrinkage of the club in the next 10 years due to the ravages of time. It will be a critical time to get "younger" people involved as collectors and drivers. Fortunately, Studebaker publicity and respect has been going in the positive direction in the last 5 years or so, so it might not be an impossible dream to see lots of these cars from older collectors finding new, caring owners. I hope so.
                          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

One problem I've found from older folks: I've looked at cars I've wanted owned by rather elderly folks... and invariably they want to "cash in" on the car they've owned since forever- with no regard to value[xx(] They tend to be guided by emotion, i.e. love of the car- and not by the market, or the prospect of sending their beloved Stude to a loving and respectful owner... They don't want to hear about eBay- or recent sale prices of comparables- just what they've decided it's worth...

I've passed on a couple cars I've really wanted, simply because I'm not willing to pay 8 grand for a car that's selling in eBay regularly for 3 or 4...

If you are an older reader, please do not interpret this as disrespect; I am only speaking from the standpoint of getting these cars into long-term, loving younger owners- like myself. If I outlive my ability to drive and maintain my Studes, I want to give them away to someone younger who's interested... my family's well provided for when I croak, and won't need that money; I get a kick out of thinking that if some young person doesn't have to mortgage the farm to get my car, they can afford to give it the care it deserves![^]

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                            Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

One problem I've found from older folks: I've looked at cars I've wanted owned by rather elderly folks... and invariably they want to "cash in" on the car they've owned since forever- with no regard to value[xx(] They tend to be guided by emotion, i.e. love of the car- and not by the market, or the prospect of sending their beloved Stude to a loving and respectful owner... They don't want to hear about eBay- or recent sale prices of comparables- just what they've decided it's worth...

I've passed on a couple cars I've really wanted, simply because I'm not willing to pay 8 grand for a car that's selling in eBay regularly for 3 or 4...

If you are an older reader, please do not interpret this as disrespect; I am only speaking from the standpoint of getting these cars into long-term, loving younger owners- like myself. If I outlive my ability to drive and maintain my Studes, I want to give them away to someone younger who's interested... my family's well provided for when I croak, and won't need that money; I get a kick out of thinking that if some young person doesn't have to mortgage the farm to get my car, they can afford to give it the care it deserves![^]

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                              Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
                              X