PDA

View Full Version : Used axle fun!

AKAchamptrucking
01-06-2012, 08:30 PM
I installed a flanged 44 in the project 63 Wagonaire way over a year ago. I was just finishing up the rear brake job and had the thought maybe I should grease the outer wheel bearings. Couldn't remember if I did or not,so I pulled the one axle and the outer wheel bearing grease was pretty gnarly looking like it had been contaminated with water. I pulled it completely out and found a TON of rusty crud inside the axle tube. (see picture) So I pulled the other axle and found more of the same,but this outer wheel bearing grease was just black.

So next I pulled the differential housing back out of the car (did I mention it was ALL hooked up??) and pulled the carrier out. Next I used multiple old T shirts, carb clean, lacquer thinner,steel wool and a long pry bar and cleaned each tube like I was cleaning a shotgun barrel. The bearing races for the inner wheel bearings also show some wear,so might as well replace them along with outer axle seals and a pinion seal too. The fun never ends!!

FlatheadGeo
01-06-2012, 10:01 PM
The fun never ends!! It is, after all, supposed to be a hobby!!!

DEEPNHOCK
01-06-2012, 10:13 PM
Tom Covington just opened up a valley cover and cleaned the nasty crud that was stuck in between the two layers of metal....
And did the same think with the oil pump pickup screen...
Yuck!

COMMANDERPINK1
01-07-2012, 07:05 AM
Thats just nasty, Makes me regretting the fact that I have some of these rear axles stored outside in the weather.
Tom

clonelark
01-07-2012, 07:09 AM
I was thinking maybe it came out of a flood car.

kmac530
01-07-2012, 03:51 PM
Yeah that seems more like some flood issue or sitting somewhere in and out of water. If a rearend is stored with the oil in it and somewhere reasonably dry, I can not imagine it would ever get that bad. But I know I have a skewed set of references being from Ca.

Warren Webb
01-07-2012, 04:13 PM
Perhaps it was in a car used to launch boats.

AKAchamptrucking
01-16-2012, 07:19 PM
A few new pics! Clonelark thought one side of the differential might have been under water. This axle is out of that side (passenger side) and you can see what a wonderful repair was done! Dang glad i had a spare pair of axles! So its all cleaned up and back in the car. Back to the wiring fun...

Jerry Forrester
01-17-2012, 05:11 PM
A few new pics! Clonelark thought one side of the differential might have been under water. This axle is out of that side (passenger side) and you can see what a wonderful repair was done! Dang glad i had a spare pair of axles! So its all cleaned up and back in the car. Back to the wiring fun...
That's an old Dirt Track Racers trick. If you're not running a full floater, you had better weld the left axle bearing retainer on or else you'll lose the left rear wheel.

Bob Andrews
01-17-2012, 05:22 PM
That's an old Dirt Track Racers trick.

Yup. That and welding the spider gears in place with the ol' Lincoln buzz box and nickel rod:)