PDA

View Full Version : Avanti by DC Design

fstst56
01-05-2012, 05:40 PM
DC Design is introducing their new sports car, named the Avanti.
For pictures go to: www.autoblog.com
Scroll down until you find it.

fstst56

Gary1953
01-05-2012, 05:46 PM
Very ugly looking.

Lou Van Anne
01-05-2012, 05:51 PM
Very ugly indeed.

Gunslinger
01-05-2012, 06:00 PM
Definitely bizarre looking...even hideous. Unless they purchased the rights to the name Avanti I can't see how they're able to use the name. It's not like the Avanti has been out of production long enough to allow the name to be taken by another car company.

Scott
01-05-2012, 06:45 PM
If that's "forward" thinking, we're in trouble.

SilverHawkDan
01-05-2012, 07:02 PM
I thought I heard RL groaning a minute ago.

kmac530
01-05-2012, 07:24 PM
I'm Groaning....
DC design does not impress me.
Their ability to take vehicular art and turn it into garbage is apparantly good to someone.
They remind me of that crash footage of a newer Cad crashing head on into a '53 (?) or the newer Chevy crashing into the '59. They take a Rolls Royce, an Audi R8, a Rav4 or anything else and butcher it into a mess. Its like a car crash.
Someone just tell them to stop !
Go back to designing bad Indian Scooters.
Someone take their pencils away.

JRoberts
01-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Will it be judged along with othe non-Studebaker Avantis? ;) :)

DEEPNHOCK
01-05-2012, 08:03 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2012/01/dc-design-avanti-live.jpg

Chris Pile
01-05-2012, 10:57 PM
Who cares about a car made in India?

jimmijim8
01-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Dat muh-effer is butt uglee

TDITS
01-06-2012, 02:41 PM
Looks more like a Packard Hawk to me.. :) Just kidding, just kidding.
but it does look like a grumpy old man

jclary
01-06-2012, 03:33 PM
Many cars are known for looking like animals, fish, etc. This one looks like a snail darter. Look it up. They claim the fish is only found in Alabama and Tennessee. I have caught them in creeks in up-state S.C. All the pictures I have found online are better looking than the real fish looks. It is a fierce small fish that will attack fish ten times its size. I know because I put some in an aquarium and studied them.

This car is about as ugly as a snail darter. (Or my late aunt Ethyl with a lower lip full of snuff!)

kmac530
01-06-2012, 03:50 PM
Aunt Ethyl with a lip full of snuff....hahaha... too funny John.
The snail darter pics I could pull online are much better looking than that
yuckvanti.

JBOYLE
01-06-2012, 04:49 PM
It looks like a bad parody of a Lamborghini combined with the Ford GT 90 concept of 1994.
http://www.themustangsource.com/wallpaper/fordgt/gt90/

kmac530
01-06-2012, 06:13 PM
So it is ugly AND an ugly copy of an ugly car....my brain hurts.

comatus
01-07-2012, 11:59 AM
A new angle: about a thousand search engine hits say that they named this "Avanti" because a real Avanti figured prominently in the comic book adventures of Tintin, a couple of which were just made into a movie. Apparently Tintin (by a Belgian, not a Frenchman!), is very popular in India.

Any Tintin comic authorities out there? There must be some driving images floating around somewhere.

Steve T
01-07-2012, 06:36 PM
Can't speak for Avantis, but Studebakers did appear at least twice in the old Tintin strips...a circa-1948 coupe and a 53 Starliner iirc. The '48 was actually made into a toy/figurine item showing a flat being fixed on the car, which was one of the scenes in the comic...

Found a pic of the model, will try a link...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alain-mercier/446130499/

Et bien sur, tout a coup j'ai trouve une liste complete des voitures de la serie Tintin...voila les deux voitures Studebaker...

http://dardel.info/tintin/ListeAutos.html

(Pardon my French...!)

...Boyyyy are there ever a lot of cars in Tintin...all of them carefully rendered, even the ones that (like the '53 Stude) only appear incidentally! There does not seem ever to have been an Avanti in Tintin, though, so the Studebaker link with the Indian-built midengine thingy is tenuous indeed. If we're ever to see the name Studebaker reappear, I expect the revival will originate in either India or China, two nations with large auto industries, giant domestic markets, and sooner or later the desire to access still more markets via export. Personally...I hope such a revival does not happen. Let the history of our favourite marque be just that!

S.

comatus
01-07-2012, 07:32 PM
[sigh]
Then I'm off to correct about a thousand articles, reviews, and blog posts.
As Prof Schickele put it, Iphigenia never was in Brooklyn.
XKCD: Someone was wrong on the Internet!

So it is ugly, and a copy of an ugly car, and has fraudulent literary precedents.
Off to a great start.

Steve T
01-07-2012, 08:04 PM
Ah, but Iphigenia did herself in Brooklyn find; she was in a market, and all around her, fish were dying...

PDQ Bach rocks. (Sheesh, how's that for thread drift...)

Actually, reading the AutoBlog article, I do see one conceptual parallel between the DC Avanti and Studebaker's original: the proposal is to use a fairly small-displacement engine, turbocharged to make up some of the horsepower gap to other cars of like genre. That's not so far from the blown 289 in the original Avanti, at a time when engines were headed north of 400ci in many high-performance cars. (And, truth told, even the original Avanti was something of a love-it-or-hate-it design, even if quite a long way prettier than DC's car.)

S.

JBOYLE
01-07-2012, 11:46 PM
I do see one conceptual parallel between the DC Avanti and Studebaker's original: the proposal is to use a fairly small-displacement engine, turbocharged to make up some of the horsepower gap to other cars of like genre. That's not so far from the blown 289 in the original Avanti, at a time when engines were headed north of 400ci in many high-performance cars. (And, truth told, even the original Avanti was something of a love-it-or-hate-it design, even if quite a long way prettier than DC's car.)
S.

You're correct on a number of points, but this car is a bit more upmarket from the original car whiich, while expensive compared to family sedans of the period, was still affordable...and constructed out of "off the shelf parts", which kept it affordable.

If they can sell a supercar look alike for $30,000 (as opposed to the $60K in the article) they might find a market, it it's more that that, it wil sell to just the upper class of India. I don't see many folks not buying a Mercedes SLC, Porsche 911 or BMW in favor of an unknown.

jnfweber
01-08-2012, 06:01 PM
They have an interesting web site. http://www.dcdesign.co.in/dcd/Merc300.html

Corvanti
01-08-2012, 06:25 PM
certainly fugly!!! the front grille is the second turn-off. the first is calling it "avanti". :mad:

i've seen some C7 Corvette "concepts" with a similar treatment, especially the headlights, but not mid-engined...