PDA

View Full Version : New VS NOS, which should I choose?

mnmfive
01-05-2012, 02:36 PM
I'm going to install a new windshield in my 58 President. I found an NOS windshield that has some delamination that will show, according to the seller, about 1/4 inch. Is there a reason that I might be better off with an original windshield. Did they make them better, is it thicker? What to do? The NOS is about $100.00 cheaper but that is not really an issue.

63r2
01-05-2012, 02:51 PM
It depends on if you can live with the delamination showing. If you can then go for it.

Lothar
01-05-2012, 04:14 PM
If the windshield has some delamination, it was probably taken out of a parts car. That may not be a problem if it was done recently, but if it was done a long time ago, you need to ask, and should probably wonder, whether the windshield was stored properly afterward. If not, it could be warped or flattened in such a way that it won't fit anymore.

R2Andrea
01-05-2012, 04:31 PM
If it's delaminating then pass on it. Delamination and/or fogging will only get worse with time.

mnmfive
01-05-2012, 04:41 PM
If the windshield has some delamination, it was probably taken out of a parts car. That may not be a problem if it was done recently, but if it was done a long time ago, you need to ask, and should probably wonder, whether the windshield was stored properly afterward. If not, it could be warped or flattened in such a way that it won't fit anymore.

He claims that it's still NOS as he and his father has owned a glass company since the fifties! I would imagine that he knows the proper way to store it, but that is a very good point. Hmmmmm more to think about. He also claimed that the delamination shouldn't progress very much. ?????

Corvanti
01-05-2012, 04:45 PM
If it's delaminating then pass on it. Delamination and/or fogging will only get worse with time.

what andy said! :)

52hawk
01-05-2012, 06:12 PM
I'd buy the NOS. It might even fit better than the repro,being thicker,and depending on what kind of rubber you wind up with. If the delam gets worse in a few years you can always get a repro. My Hawk windshield layed across the rafters in the PO's garage for 10 years.It fits fine with new rubber from Bob Kapteyn.

kmac530
01-05-2012, 06:47 PM
If the new one is from a reputable seller and has a fit warranty...I would go new. The fogging/delaming is there from age and it is not getting any younger in the future and will now be exposed to sunlight more which will increase the speed of degredation.
jmho

Roscomacaw
01-05-2012, 07:02 PM
What kmac said. It's alrady started, and it's gonna do anything but just stay in a holding pattern as tome goes on.

bob40
01-05-2012, 09:11 PM
The one part of any car you spend most of your time looking at is the windshield.
I would go new.
I have 4-6 used C/K fronts or rears I would give away just to make more room.
No delivery or shipping.

WCP
01-05-2012, 10:32 PM
Something to think about - I bought a new windshield for a Hawk from Standard Auto Glass in the late '70s and properly stored it supported in a crate. About 10 years back, I installed it and after a day or two, I discovered delamination on the right side edge. Being frustrated and annoyed, I decided to live with the delamination and put it out of my mind 'till Spring a few months away. Once time arrived to get the car out for driving, I was delighted to find that the delamination had healed and stayed that way. So delamination of a new windshield can heal if it has not been exposed to the elements and the butacite layer has not yellowed. Apparently, the butacite layer and glass layers are sufficiently flexible to allow this to occur as installation stresses are normalized with time. You might "luck out" with that "defective" windshield.