PDA

View Full Version : Another Ebay Idiot! - Beware

64V-K7
01-05-2012, 10:42 AM
Hopefully no one on this forum is looking at/ bidding on this car...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FACTORY-AIR-CONDITIONING-RECENT-RESTORATION-DRIVER-QUALITY-RECEIPTS-RBLT-MOTOR-/350519738420?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item519c9ac034

I asked the seller 3 times what the oil pressure was (warm) at idle and at 2000 rpm.

Each time he came back with " I don't understand what you're asking".... When I replied the 4th time as to whether I should explain further, he just blew me off..

I'll presume he has something to hide..

Roscomacaw
01-05-2012, 10:54 AM
Yah-but.... It's got that elusive R-series WS washer resevoir bag!

hausdok
01-05-2012, 10:57 AM
He or she probably really doesn't understand. That ad copy was obviously written by a salesman - one that probably has no idea what all othose fancy doodads on that shiny dashboard mean. The only way he or she knows if oil pressure is down is when the idiot light on the dashboard comes on - otherwise, it's all nice to look at but means little to 'em.

Ask him/her to go out to the shop and ask a mechanic the same question on your behalf.

Mike O'Handley
Kenmore, Washington
hausdok@msn.com

kmac530
01-05-2012, 11:02 AM
Yah-but.... It's got that elusive R-series WS washer resevoir bag!

But does that bag actually say "american motors corp" on it? Is that correct for a Stude/Pack car?

Gunslinger
01-05-2012, 11:10 AM
But does that bag actually say "american motors corp" on it? Is that correct for a Stude/Pack car?

Studebaker, AMC and Ford used an identical reservoir bag...they and Studebaker probably sourced them from the same vendor. Only the markings applied made a difference.

Whomever installed that reservoir bag either found an original or reproduction AMC bag since it fit.

Dougie
01-05-2012, 11:35 AM
It's got enough battery cable to relocate it to the trunk :)

rusty nut garage
01-05-2012, 12:49 PM
I've got three customers that have purchased hawks from out of state (just happen to be texas) site unseen. One of them got burnt REAL bad, one other probably wouldn't have purchased it if he'd inspected it. The 3rd guy got a very solid car, he has spent some major money on top of the purchase price to make it a very nice driver/show car. My point is with the network we have within the SDC there is no reason one can't have a inspection done. What it costs to fix cars I'd highly discourage any purchase without a personal or very good unbiased inspection. I know there have been many on this forum that have succesfully made mutltiple purchases without inpections IMHO that is not wise.
Russ

Hopefully no one on this forum is looking at/ bidding on this car...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FACTORY-AIR-CONDITIONING-RECENT-RESTORATION-DRIVER-QUALITY-RECEIPTS-RBLT-MOTOR-/350519738420?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item519c9ac034

I asked the seller 3 times what the oil pressure was (warm) at idle and at 2000 rpm.

Each time he came back with " I don't understand what you're asking".... When I replied the 4th time as to whether I should explain further, he just blew me off..

I'll presume he has something to hide..

ST2DE5
01-05-2012, 02:37 PM
I have been to Fast 440. It is nothing but a big indoor car lot. And the sales man doesn't have a clue about none of the cars. I was looking at a Dodge Super Bee and he didn't know anything about it.

BobPalma
01-05-2012, 03:43 PM
Wow! That stainless trim would keep Matthew busy the rest of the year. BP

Bob Andrews
01-05-2012, 04:21 PM
My impression is it's an honest car. First thing is the serial tag; looks legit. The photos make a point to show a lot of warts, like the spotted trim and grungy headliner. They tried to show the repaint inside of the doors, even a close-up of the wear around the ignition switch.

I think it's just an uneducated seller. Probably not a car guy, just someone trying to make a buck, as opposed to someone passionate enough to learn the best way to market a collector car. If you look at his feedback, there were some encouraging comments. Especially interesting in light of your concern is this one regarding a Dodge Coronet: Honest & trustworthy. Engine problem after auction. Seller cancelled transaction. That makes me think that the seller really isn't avoiding your question, but actually doesn't know what you mean, and gave up. Yes, it's poor business, but it might still be a good car to buy. At least where it's at as of this writing is OK even if it did need engine work.

Were I interested in buying I'd like to see some underside shots, and that trunk carpet rolled back; but my overall feel is this is a car I'd be comfortable buying. He sold a $65K Nova over the phone and the seller was happy. And, I don't see any real red flags looking at the pictures. My opinion is, if it's what you want, bid. And, don't forget to add the seller's required $150 fee to your bid.

Good luck!

52hawk
01-05-2012, 04:22 PM
I know without looking you're talking about the yellow Hawk- They always say pictures hide a lot,but this one looks like a quickie repainted garbage can,even in pictures. Might as well just say the car needs EVERYTHING.

JBOYLE
01-05-2012, 05:05 PM
Calling them an idiot is a bit harsh.
In this age of idiot lights, I'd wager a lot of people don't know what an oil pressure guage is...or what it does and tells you about a car.

I agree, with the SDC members out there, no reason not to have someone look at a car before buying long distance.