PDA

View Full Version : 64 Hawk on ebay

gs-xnr
01-04-2012, 06:45 PM
Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p3984.m1426.l2649&item=140673710143&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'm very interested in this car because it is close to me and also seems to be very original. But a couple of things bother me:
1. Seller comment that the car was built in Canada. To my knowledge no Hawks were every built in Canada.
2. A 259 engine in a Hawk? I thought all came with 289

Any comments are appreciated.
Harvey

kmul221
01-04-2012, 06:57 PM
They built hawks in Canada,but as far as I know no 64's.I also believe you are right about it having a 259 I always thought all GT's had a 289,but I've been wrong B-4

Chopper
01-04-2012, 07:14 PM
I read the engine number as VCD409. The D409 date translates to April 9th, 1964 which is pretty late in the production year for body number 165. Plus it has a WCFB carb instead of a AFB which would be correct for a 64. Either way its a pretty nice looking car and a 64 to boot.

Milaca
01-04-2012, 07:26 PM
I wouldnt be too concerned about it having a replacement 259 in it as long as it runs good. Most important is the condition of the body. You may want pictures of the underside. Originally equipped with a wet-type air cleaner and a hill-holder, not too common for a late model Hawk I would guess. It appears that the body tag and the 4-speed cowl tags still have the original silver paint on them.

Welcome
01-04-2012, 07:26 PM
I read the engine number as VCD409. The D409 date translates to April 9th, 1964 which is pretty late in the production year for body number 165. Plus it has a WCFB carb instead of a AFB which would be correct for a 64. Either way its a pretty nice looking car and a 64 to boot.

WELCOME ...to the SDC Forum ...Chopper!!!:cool:

Welcome
01-04-2012, 07:42 PM
Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p3984.m1426.l2649&item=140673710143&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'm very interested in this car because it is close to me and also seems to be very original. But a couple of things bother me:
1. Seller comment that the car was built in Canada. To my knowledge no Hawks were every built in Canada.
2. A 259 engine in a Hawk? I thought all came with 289>>>
3. Battery holddown missing;)

BobPalma
01-04-2012, 09:27 PM
Harvey: Welcome to SDC and our forum. I hope you'll join the club soon if you aren't already a member.

You see from this car's window sticker that it was originally Moonlight Silver, so you are aware of the color change. No big deal if original color is not important to you, and if the body work prior to the paint did not involve patching up a terribly rusty car.

To answer a few questions:

1. The car was built in South Bend.

2. It was originally shipped to Kalispell, Montana.

3. It was built with 289 engine #PH314, so the original engine is no longer in the car.

4. Pardon the "dig" about the battery hold-down. I am known for being a stickler on cars not having battery hold-downs, so it is often a race to see if someone can post that before I've looked at the thread. All in good fun, you understand; it's nothing personal.

Best wishes buying the car.

(I note your handle gs-xnr. If you are a Buick enthusiast, look at my profile on the Buick V8 Forum and you can see a photo of my soft yellow, original-paint 1972 LeSabre Custom convertible I've owned about 15 years...surrounded by my three 1964 Studebaker Daytonas! <GGG>)

Bob Palma
Technical Editor
Turning Wheels

gs-xnr
01-04-2012, 09:43 PM
Thank you all for your input. Bob, yes I am also a Buick enthusiast and am a member of v-8 Buick board. So this car wasn't built in Canada, never came with a 259 and was originally silver. I think I will pass on it. Who knows what else is being embellished. I am really looking for an Avanti anyway but this Hawk seemed interesting if it was original which it obviously isn't. However the seller does say it was painted black in the late 80's so I can't say that was a misrepresentation. Harvey

ddub
01-04-2012, 10:56 PM
Is that the correct tach? Has a red needle, other needles are white.

BobPalma
01-05-2012, 08:05 AM
Is that the correct tach? Has a red needle, other needles are white.

No, Don; it is not. The car was built without a tachometer, per the window sticker posted within the e-bay photos. That is an aftermarket tach added somewhere along the way. BP

ddub
01-05-2012, 11:59 AM
Bob, missed the window sticker first time. I notice the car had "aluminized rust proofing". I assume all 61's did. I wonder how well that worked. Would they have been even worse rusters without it?

Bill Pressler
01-05-2012, 12:13 PM
Bob, missed the window sticker first time. I notice the car had "aluminized rust proofing". I assume all 61's did. I wonder how well that worked. Would they have been even worse rusters without it?

All the '64 Studes had 'aluminized rustproofing', but it didn't seem to make much difference at all over whatever they used previously. A Stude body man I know once told me he actually thought the aluminizing made them rust worse!

G T Joe
01-05-2012, 03:51 PM
Hey Bill what about 66 Studes? did they have any improved methods to control rust ? I wonder if they used any of methods that were used by the Big 3 ?

BobPalma
01-05-2012, 03:54 PM

Don and Bill: My observation is that the highly-touted aluminized rustproofing simply made no difference one way or another on the 1964 Studebakers.

The metallurgy of the sheet steel undoubtedly had more to do with it than what covered it, and there's no reason to believe that changed between 1963 and 1964...or 1966, for that matter. BP

G T Joe
01-05-2012, 04:04 PM
I guess you could say that all Studes were installed with tin -eating worms at the factory at no extra charge!, maybe thats what I should tell the general public why they built the Avanti out of fiberglass!