PDA

View Full Version : The Grape beast is home

tomnoller
01-04-2012, 03:03 PM
Moving day, 3 January:

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd350/tomnoller/cominghome.jpg

Another shot under the hood:

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd350/tomnoller/engine2.jpg

I'm going to raise it up and begin draining fluids. Not familiar with auto trannys, so is there something I can look for to determine what kind mine is? Maybe numbers on a tag or stamp? Thanks!
I'm relieved it's home!

starliner62
01-04-2012, 03:14 PM
Hey, where are the valve cover studs?????

Gunslinger
Seeing how it's a small block Chevy engine it will have a GM Hydramatic transmission of some type. You can do a web search on GM transmissions and there are photos of the transmission pans so you can determine which your car has. It's possible you may find the type of tranny...TH350, TH400, etc., stamped into the pan.

StudeRich
Nice looking Car Tom! That would have made a Great Pair sitting next to the 1001 Avanti before the Metalflake Lime Green Paint was removed! A real 1970's Pair! Lol! :)

I am assuming you are wondering if you have a THM 350 or THM 400 or maybe a THM 200-4R, THM 700R4 Overdrive or even a 60L Electronic version.

There are some differences in the Oil Pan shape, especially the THM400, maybe some Chevy. Websites would show that.
I am sure 90% of US, would not know one if it bit us, myself included! Lol! :D

sweetolbob
01-04-2012, 03:16 PM
Tom

If it's GM this will get you where you are going. http://www.nastyz28.com/chevy-transmission-identification.php

Bob

starliner62
01-04-2012, 03:53 PM
:cool:Let's see that Avanti needs one eye and one horn......(and wings):cool:

Cool car. I'd be seen in it!!!

8E45E
01-04-2012, 05:00 PM
Nice looking Car Tom! That would have made a Great Pair sitting next to the 1001 Avanti before the Metalflake Lime Green Paint was removed! A real 1970's Pair! Lol! :)

Good gawd NO!!! That horrendous color combination is also the corporate color combination of TELUS, the privatized remains of Alberta Government Telephones that now gives equally HORRENDOUS service.

Craig

Gunslinger
01-04-2012, 05:07 PM
:cool:Let's see that Avanti needs one eye and four horns......(and wings):cool:

Are you saying it's the "Official Sheb Wooley Edition" Avanti?

sweetolbob
01-04-2012, 05:29 PM
Tom

Probably sacrilege but I like the color. You won't park next to many like it at shows.

Bob

starliner62
01-04-2012, 05:55 PM
I didn't think it would take long for someone to figure it out.

Are you saying it's the "Official Sheb Wooley Edition" Avanti?

tomnoller
01-04-2012, 06:24 PM
That's it, Jamie! You named it...the Purple People Eater. Or probably more appropriately the Purple Wallet Eater, before I'm done.
JP's words keep echoing in my head about there being nothing more expensive than a 'cheap' Avanti. This one was 6K.

Bob, thanks for the website on trannys. It is helpful already.
As for the valve cover studs, I'll go out and look. Now I'm worried!

BobPalma
01-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Cool beans, Tom; congrats.

As to the transmission type: If all else fails, just take off the pan and take it to NAPA or any other good parts store. The guy at the counter will be able to match the pan to various charts and tell you what you need to know. BP

silverhawk
01-04-2012, 11:15 PM
Sweet car Tom!! Hope to see it in person soon :) Out of curiosity, is this why some of your cars found new homes? I kept seeing 'em on Craigslist over the past months.

candbstudebakers
01-04-2012, 11:54 PM
Hey, where are the valve cover studs?????

It is not a Vortex engine.

Bob Andrews
01-05-2012, 05:11 AM
One quick trans. ID tip: If the pan is perfectly square, it's a TH350. If it's a little larger and irregular shape, you have a TH400. The 400 is the heavier duty, but either are near bullet proof.

You could have one of the other, newer trannies with O/D, but I'm guessing by looking at the rest of the car you'll have one of those two trannies most commonly used around the 80s. Today these trannies are declining in use as guys are favoring the newer O/D units. If you were building from scratch I'd recommend you look at one of those, but changing would gain you so little it's not worth bothering.

BTW, the engine picture is a little washed out, but I think I see a valve cover bolt with a spreader underneath.

Personally I'd never convert an Avanti from Stude to Chevy, but since yours already is you have a great combination there- easy to fix, mountains of parts easy to get and dirt cheap, and so versatile you can build whatever you want from a mild gas miser to a fire-breathing beast. Enjoy!

tomnoller
01-05-2012, 08:07 AM
Thanks Guys! I've never been much of an auto tranny fan and have thought about putting a more modern gearbox behind that 305, but then I'd be stuck with trying to find a clutch pedal assembly that'd fit this car. It's not like junk yards have many Avanti's for pickin' parts. Guess I'll stay with what's there for now.

tomnoller
01-05-2012, 08:12 AM
oh, another thing...the shifter is really sloppy and the p.o. said the tranny/carb linkage needed attention. I am clueless, but will slowly take things as they come. I'm not in a hurry to get it on the road until it's ready.

BobPalma
01-05-2012, 08:14 AM
Thanks Guys! I've never been much of an auto tranny fan and have thought about putting a more modern gearbox behind that 305, but then I'd be stuck with trying to find a clutch pedal assembly that'd fit this car. It's not like junk yards have many Avanti's for pickin' parts. Guess I'll stay with what's there for now.

'Good thinking, Tom. With one engine swap under the car's belt, changing to a manual transmission now would likely result in too much -ahem- "retrofitting" for one car to take. <GGG> BP

junior
01-05-2012, 09:22 AM
I'm with sweetolbob on this one...Purple on this Avanti looks good. What color is interior? Please post photos when you get 'er all washed up. Junior.

sweetolbob
01-05-2012, 09:37 AM

Tom

I agree with getting it on the road and putting miles on it. But if your heart says manual, what is more common in the wrecking yards that an SBC with a manual tranny. There are several on the forum currently and with the advent of hydraulic clutches, particularly hydraulic throwout bearings, it won't be difficult to set up a manual. I'll bet there are a lot of Camaro setup's that will work. I'll also bet you can find an Avanti setup if you ask long enough. And lastly, Wilwood make stand alone clutch setups.

When I looked at converting my 83 it didn't look all that difficult. Of course, I took the easy way out and bought the 74 to get the best of both worlds.

And if all you can find is old four speed setups, this will let you convert to a newer five speed. http://www.ebay.com/itm/360375485984?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

It just depends on how much you desire one.

Bob

Gunslinger
01-05-2012, 10:07 AM
If you're going to convert it to a manual, do it right and give it a Tremec 5-speed...it will transform the car's performance and drivability. I know know of one former Avanti owner who had a 6-speed installed. He loved it, though it took some modifications to the transmission tunnel that wouldn't have been necessary with the 5-speed.

Dick Steinkamp
01-05-2012, 10:23 AM
Congrats, Tom! I was hoping you'd find another after I ended up with that one we both looked at in Seattle.

The motor/trans installation looks well done from the pics, and the dual brake system is a nice bonus. I think you will be real happy with the more modern auto that actually starts in first gear. It should transform the car into something that feels a lot more peppy (I'd say the Chevy motor won't hurt any either in that department, but it might get me thrown out of here ;)).

I used the stock PowerShift quadrant in the Lark I put a Chevy in AND the fully adjustable linkage from Lokar (about $50). It was tight and you can easily dial in the linkage to insure the shift detents line up with the letters/numbers on the stock quadrant. If you have a TH350/400, the linkage from the carb to the trany is just for full throttle kick down. The trans shifts with a combination of a governor and a vacuum modulator. Make sure the vacuum line is in place from the manifold to the trany. The kick down linkage is not super important as you can just pull the shift lever into "2" if you need a burst of power.

Clean it up and drive it. My guess is that you really scored for the price you got it for.

tomnoller
01-05-2012, 10:58 AM
This is the way I got it. The headliner's all down and junk in the back seat, but the upholstery is decent!

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd350/tomnoller/Interior.jpg

Notice the door lock gizmo is missing from the passenger side. Ugh! I'll probably never find one!

Gunslinger
01-05-2012, 11:13 AM
The door lock lever, screw and escutcheon are easily available through Studebaker International and probably from other vendors as well.

Dick Steinkamp
01-05-2012, 11:22 AM
I like the engine turned dash (also carried over to the ash tray). It looks very "pro". The non stock SW gauges are more attractive than the original red needle ones. A volt meter is in place of the ammeter. Not only is this a lot safer, but may indicate a complete re-wire which would be a good thing.

The padded dash looks PERFECT. Quite rare in these cars.

tomnoller
01-05-2012, 02:16 PM
Thanks Dick, but I'm not crazy about the little steering wheel. Would prefer an original, but then with my 6'5" size, it is a little easier to get under.

Also stuff looks better in pictures than in reality. :-)

Thanks for the heads-up on the door lock stuff, Gunslinger! Good to know. I'll get my S.I. catalog down and go through it.

If I did decide to lose the A/T and convert to manual shift, would the clutch pedal addition be a problem or is there something aftemarket that would work?

starliner62
01-05-2012, 03:04 PM
Tom, I appreciate that you took my little joke about you car in stride. To be honest, I am jealous, jealous , jealous. I would love to have an Avanti project, but yours is too nice for what I have planned. I will continue to look for a Cheap Avanti, even though I have been warned.:D

Gunslinger
01-05-2012, 03:18 PM
If I did decide to lose the A/T and convert to manual shift, would the clutch pedal addition be a problem or is there something aftemarket that would work?

The easiest thing to do is give Jon Myer or Dan Booth at Nostalgic a call...either should have everything you need. I'm not aware of any aftermarket stuff you can adapt...if there is, it's probably way too much trouble to make it work when good used original stuff is available.

tomnoller
01-05-2012, 05:25 PM
The motor oil is mud. I think this car sat for at least two years, so I want to drain everything I can, change every filter and install new plugs.
Is it normal to have the flywheel and t-converter exposed like this? Once the oil finishes draining I'll take down the tranny pan.

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd350/tomnoller/IMG00057.jpg

BobPalma
01-05-2012, 05:38 PM
The motor oil is mud. I think this car sat for at least two years, so I want to drain everything I can, change every filter and install new plugs.
Is it normal to have the flywheel and t-converter exposed like this? Once the oil finishes draining I'll take down the tranny pan.

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd350/tomnoller/IMG00057.jpg

No, Tom; it is not. A light-weight sheet metal or even molded plastic cover is missing.

Obviously, the car operates without it, but it is still a good idea to have one for protection...after all, that torque converter is spinning at considerable RPM whenever the engine is running.

When you get the car running and driving, I'd take it to an old-timey transmission shop in your area and ask them to have a look at it and install any one of several appropriate shields they probably have lying around. BP

StudeRich
01-05-2012, 05:53 PM
I'm with sweetolbob on this one...Purple on this Avanti looks good. What color is interior? Please post photos when you get 'er all washed up. Junior.

This Car looks even better after seeing that the Interior is not trashed. Makes you wonder though what someone was thinking, Dark Green Seats, Black door Panels and Beige Dash! Not to mention the Purple Paint! Interesting combo.