X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Grape beast is home

Moving day, 3 January:

Another shot under the hood:

I'm going to raise it up and begin draining fluids. Not familiar with auto trannys, so is there something I can look for to determine what kind mine is? Maybe numbers on a tag or stamp? Thanks!
    I'm relieved it's home!

Hey, where are the valve cover studs?????
    Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
    1958 Commander "Christine"
    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
    1955 Commander Sedan
    1964 Champ
    1960 Lark

Comment

Seeing how it's a small block Chevy engine it will have a GM Hydramatic transmission of some type. You can do a web search on GM transmissions and there are photos of the transmission pans so you can determine which your car has. It's possible you may find the type of tranny...TH350, TH400, etc., stamped into the pan.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Nice looking Car Tom! That would have made a Great Pair sitting next to the 1001 Avanti before the Metalflake Lime Green Paint was removed! A real 1970's Pair! Lol!

I am assuming you are wondering if you have a THM 350 or THM 400 or maybe a THM 200-4R, THM 700R4 Overdrive or even a 60L Electronic version.

There are some differences in the Oil Pan shape, especially the THM400, maybe some Chevy. Websites would show that.
        I am sure 90% of US, would not know one if it bit us, myself included! Lol!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Tom

If it's GM this will get you where you are going. http://www.nastyz28.com/chevy-transm...tification.php

Bob

Comment

Let's see that Avanti needs one eye and one horn......(and wings)

Cool car. I'd be seen in it!!!
            Last edited by starliner62; 01-04-2012, 03:54 PM.
            Jamie McLeod
            Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
            1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
            1955 Commander Sedan
            1964 Champ
            1960 Lark

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              Nice looking Car Tom! That would have made a Great Pair sitting next to the 1001 Avanti before the Metalflake Lime Green Paint was removed! A real 1970's Pair! Lol!
              Good gawd NO!!! That horrendous color combination is also the corporate color combination of TELUS, the privatized remains of Alberta Government Telephones that now gives equally HORRENDOUS service.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by starliner62 View Post
                Let's see that Avanti needs one eye and four horns......(and wings)
                Are you saying it's the "Official Sheb Wooley Edition" Avanti?
                Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Tom

Probably sacrilege but I like the color. You won't park next to many like it at shows.

Bob

Comment

I didn't think it would take long for someone to figure it out.

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                    Are you saying it's the "Official Sheb Wooley Edition" Avanti?
                    Jamie McLeod
                    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                    1955 Commander Sedan
                    1964 Champ
                    1960 Lark

Comment

That's it, Jamie! You named it...the Purple People Eater. Or probably more appropriately the Purple Wallet Eater, before I'm done.
                      JP's words keep echoing in my head about there being nothing more expensive than a 'cheap' Avanti. This one was 6K.

Bob, thanks for the website on trannys. It is helpful already.
                      As for the valve cover studs, I'll go out and look. Now I'm worried!

Comment

Cool beans, Tom; congrats.

As to the transmission type: If all else fails, just take off the pan and take it to NAPA or any other good parts store. The guy at the counter will be able to match the pan to various charts and tell you what you need to know. BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Sweet car Tom!! Hope to see it in person soon Out of curiosity, is this why some of your cars found new homes? I kept seeing 'em on Craigslist over the past months.
                          Dylan Wills
                          Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                          1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
                          1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
                          1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Originally posted by starliner62 View Post
                            Hey, where are the valve cover studs?????
                            It is not a Vortex engine.
                            Candbstudebakers
                            Castro Valley,
                            California

Comment

One quick trans. ID tip: If the pan is perfectly square, it's a TH350. If it's a little larger and irregular shape, you have a TH400. The 400 is the heavier duty, but either are near bullet proof.

You could have one of the other, newer trannies with O/D, but I'm guessing by looking at the rest of the car you'll have one of those two trannies most commonly used around the 80s. Today these trannies are declining in use as guys are favoring the newer O/D units. If you were building from scratch I'd recommend you look at one of those, but changing would gain you so little it's not worth bothering.

BTW, the engine picture is a little washed out, but I think I see a valve cover bolt with a spreader underneath.

Personally I'd never convert an Avanti from Stude to Chevy, but since yours already is you have a great combination there- easy to fix, mountains of parts easy to get and dirt cheap, and so versatile you can build whatever you want from a mild gas miser to a fire-breathing beast. Enjoy!
                              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                              Romans 15:13
                              Deuteronomy 31:6
                              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Working...
                              X