PDA

View Full Version : New to forum and have questions on old studebaker

EthanD
01-04-2012, 09:01 AM
Hi my name is Ethan and I ran across this forum the other night while searching for some answers about a old studebaker truck I have. I have been told its a 1946 but am not for sure, would also like to know what the value of it would be? How hard is it to get parts for? If its easy to get parts for, I might try to restore it. If its real hard to get parts for I would rather have it go to someone that know where to get every thing, I just hate seeing it sit and rot. I think its a real cool looking truck, I just wish I knew more about it, if anyone could help me it would be much appriciated! Thank you

Jeff_H
01-04-2012, 09:08 AM
It looks like a M-5 (1/2 ton). That style was made in '41-'42 and then after the war from '45-'48. I am not a truck expert but believe the serial number plate is on the windshield post on the driver side. So, if you can get the door open it would be visible. If not there, probably on the vertical step area below the seat and still visible with the door open.

With the S/N, others can advise to what year. I seem to recall that chrome front bumper may indicate pre-war, but not sure. Looks like its been sitting there for quite a while so the hinges and latch may be stuck so care must be taken.

You may also want to take a look here at the Stude truck forum:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885/

FlatheadGeo
01-04-2012, 09:12 AM
Welcome to the Forum and the world of Studebakers. You should join the Studebaker Drivers Club and get a Studebaker International Catalog of parts. You will get excellent assistance from members and the catalog is worth its weight in gold!!! Hope you decide to keep and restore it. Good luck.

jclary
01-04-2012, 09:36 AM
Welcome Ethan! Before doing anything else, take a lot of pictures of the truck as it sits. The shot you posted is as good as it gets for a true barn find! (or next ot barn). The surrounding farm equipment is a plus.

If you are not familiar with the Studebaker Drivers Club, joining us will open a vast world-wide network of resources you never knew existed. Additionally, you will access some of the most intriguing history of industry and our nation dating all the way back to the mid-1800's. If you will share where you are located, we can assist in helping you find knowledgeable folks that could help you in evaluating this vehicle.

These type of "M" series Studebaker trucks had a long production run. They are truly "honest" machines that were purposefully built, simple, and uncomplicated. You can restore them to what I call "warrior" status (this one looks to be a good candidate) that would keep its period farm truck look and be mechanically sound, or go all out and make it a "don't touch" show piece. Much of this depends on your financial resources, age, energy level, and abilities. If you enjoy projects, learning new skills, and have tenacity, patience and an innovative attitude ...you will be surprised at how much money you can save and get this truck going.

Welcome, and post more pictures!:):cool::)

Anne F. Goodman
01-04-2012, 10:09 AM
Welcome to the forum if you could put where you are from it would be easier for us to help you with local people. Because now "You have People" "Stude People a whole herd of them".

Skip Lackie
01-04-2012, 10:28 AM
Look here:
http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/StudebakerTruckHistory.asp

M-series truck description starts about 25% of the way down, and resumes again after the description of the wartime Army trucks.

kmac530
01-04-2012, 10:50 AM
Ethan,
First of all, welcome to the forum. I have only been a member for 4 months or so and this site has been INDISPENSIBLE in building my truck. The folks here are GREAT. I have alot of hobbies and I am a member of alot of similar forums for other things, and these folks are by far the closest knit group and very serious about keeping the Studebaker legacy alive. If you should decide to restore or hot rod, or just get that truck driving as an old farm truck, these folks can help and WILL help.

Second, That truck looks to be quite complete and restoreable. It looks to be a great candidate for getting back on the road one way or another. I hope you decide to build it.

Third, we love pics...keep posting them.

Have fun here Ethan.

BobPalma
01-04-2012, 12:07 PM
'Nothing to add to "all the above," so just Welcome! BP

avantilover
01-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Nothing that a good wash and vacuum can't fix :-)~ A big welcome to the forum from all your Aussie Studebaker Mates.