PDA

View Full Version : Part ID on '40 Commander

BubbaBear
01-02-2012, 11:00 AM
It was suggested that I post this here rather than Technical as it might get more exposure. I need to identify this part and itís purpose. I also would like to know how to remove it where it connects under the spring near the backing plate so I can replace or have it welded.

Not sure how to ask the question until I know the name and purpose of the part in question. It goes from front wheel to front wheel and appears to connect under the leaf spring onto the brake backing plate. It seems to be a three piece plus nuts and washers assembly that connects in the middle. I havenít been under the car so I am relying on Mikes description and the photos below. Can anyone tell me what it is, maybe where I can find a replacement, a how to install it.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m307/BubbaBear_2006/board/board2/028.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m307/BubbaBear_2006/board/board2/025.jpg

Roscomacaw
01-02-2012, 02:49 PM
Those are after-market helper springs. Probably to address a sagging transverse spring!

BubbaBear
01-02-2012, 03:09 PM
Those are after-market helper springs. Probably to address a sagging transverse spring!

Thank you. That surprises me knowing the car has been stored since 1960 and only has 46XXX miles on it that the traverse spring would have required a repair. What do you think is our best option. To repair the after market helper or to remove the traverse spring and have it repaired. (Which I really don't want to do.)

Roscomacaw
01-02-2012, 04:09 PM
Well, by the 1960 it had been sitting on that spring for 20 years. Wouldn't matter that much if it didn't have alot of miles, so long as the weight was trying to flatten that spring out. I"d be suspect about trying to weld a spring, so I'd be wanting to have the factory spring re-arched.

studegary
01-02-2012, 04:24 PM

Thanks! That is what I said in his other thread on this part.

Roscomacaw
01-02-2012, 05:14 PM
I only look at this one forum. Too much time to cover them all!

studegary
01-02-2012, 06:15 PM
I only look at this one forum. Too much time to cover them all!

I wasn't being critical. I was just pointing out that we agreed on the item.