New Years Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Years Project

This summer I picked up this shipping crate on ebay for about $30 and a local pick-up. It didn't come with a lid and was pretty grungy and it sat in my basement for these months.

So, over the holidays, it was discovered that we could use a place to store blankets, etc., in the family room. I though "I know just the box!" - but it was pretty dirty inside. So I went and investigated paneling and such to line the box. I found that a package of laminated flooring was cheaper than a sheet of paneling So I picked up some for about $17.

I spent some of yesterday and today lining the box and making a lid (in typical construction fashion) and now we have a nice box for blankets. I want to spray the outside with some clear finish, but it is too cold outside for that and I don't need the fumes inside.

BTW, the part number on the box is 586882 - any idea what that is?

--george
    1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

George, I really like what you have there.to bad for the chunk missing on the upper left corner,like you say some clear will spruce it up.looks like something the Wife / Family and you can all enjoy for the same purpose.
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

George, Nice job repurposing the old crate. I like the idea of lining it to protect the items you put in it. As a hobby woodworker I like to reuse and save old lumber as much possible. I think the only thing I would have done different would have been to cut the pieces of the frame to the same width as the framework of the crate.
      From the scrap pile
      I'd also say you are one lucky guy if your wife lets you keep it in the family room.
      TDITS The Dude In The Stude

Comment

If I would have bought a box like that, my wife would have said "Yep...You'll fit in there if I fold you just right!"
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Cool Box George!
          Brian
          Brian Woods
          woodysrods@shaw.ca
          1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

I would have lined the inside with plexiglass so the original wood shows and then make either a glass top, or a hinged top with old leather covering it. With a glass top it would be cool to display some Stude memorabilia or scale models inside.

Comment

Nice use of an old box, George! I love those old crates....BTW I couldn't find that part #.

Comment

I think this crate held an engine, part # 536332. That was the 185 replacement engine that took the place of previous 170s. The stenciling that Studebaker used did wrap those '3's around pretty far.
                Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Very cool, George. Excellent display and use of the crate. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                  X