PDA

View Full Version : Happy 50th SDC Year!!!

Welcome
01-01-2012, 11:31 AM
SDC ...1962 - 2012 & forward -->

dean pearson
01-01-2012, 12:57 PM
Wow ! I didn't know all this cool biz. started the same year I was born !

Is this a case of good (SDC) offsetting bad (Me) ?

Dean.

dnevin
01-01-2012, 01:31 PM
Same here Dean. Wonder how many of us SDC babies there are out there?

COMMANDERPINK1
01-01-2012, 03:21 PM

I was a whole two years old and was riding in Studebakers, and not in a car seat or belts!!!! I was pretty brave then or didnt know better! ;)
Tom

ST2DE5
01-01-2012, 03:30 PM
I was 22 years old and over in Germany making sure nobody was stealing the Berlin Wall. And didn't see a Studebaker.

studegary
01-01-2012, 05:02 PM

But the 50th birthday of SDC isn't until near the end of December 2012. It IS now the anniversary year.

PalmerGA
01-01-2012, 05:08 PM
Happy 50th to a great organization. Love TW magazine and hope to pick up a Studie again in the near future. Happy New Year everyone!

Welcome
01-01-2012, 06:33 PM
But the 50th birthday of SDC isn't until near the end of December 2012. It IS now the anniversary year.

OK, OK, its been changed!!!:rolleyes:;)

2R5
01-01-2012, 06:46 PM
Gary , do you know if the club was formed without chapters or was there just one chapter to start with ?

studegary
01-01-2012, 07:01 PM
Gary , do you know if the club was formed without chapters or was there just one chapter to start with ?

To start with, there was just a single club. SDC was formed (incorporated) with seven charter members. I think that there were later regions/zones that were followed by chapters by the mid-1960s. The Hudson Valley Chapter was chartered in 1969. It is an early chapter, but not one of the first. There was a Keystone Region, but they didn't become a chapter until later (after 1969). That is why they took the name of Keystone Region Chapter, rather than just Keystone Chapter. I believe that the Ocean State Chapter (MA & RI) was one of the early chapters.

StudeMichael
01-01-2012, 07:05 PM
Harry Barnes had a letter from The Studebaker Corporation authorizing a "Studebaker Drivers Club". Does anyone have a copy they can post online?

Welcome
01-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Harry Barnes had a letter from The Studebaker Corporation authorizing a "Studebaker Drivers Club". Does anyone have a copy they can post online?

Sorry, don't have a copy of that letter handy, but IIRC $2. and a self addressed stamped envelope would have got you into Harry's Studebaker Club. Can anyone verify that???

studegary
01-01-2012, 07:26 PM
Sorry, don't have a copy of that letter handy, but IIRC $2. and a self addressed stamped envelope would have got you into Harry's Studebaker Club. Can anyone verify that???

I don't remember exactly, but that sounds correct.
I owned Studebakers, but first found out about SDC from an ad in Motor Trend. That is when I joined (1968). I have always felt that SDC should occasionally run ads in general car related magazines.

Roscomacaw
01-01-2012, 07:50 PM
Gary, this is off topic I guess, but since you've been an SDC officer for some time, maybe you can explain something for me. While I first joined SDC in 1973, thru circumstances beyond my control, I left the club for about 4 years. I rejoined in '85 and have been a member ever since. So WHY won't SDC credit me with those first 8 years of membership? Is this the way SDC rules for folks that might miss a year or more for sickness or other life-altering instances? I quit asking about this years ago, but NEVER got the reasoning that keeps 8 years of membership from being recognized.

studegary
01-01-2012, 08:24 PM
Gary, this is off topic I guess, but since you've been an SDC officer for some time, maybe you can explain something for me. While I first joined SDC in 1973, thru circumstances beyond my control, I left the club for about 4 years. I rejoined in '85 and have been a member ever since. So WHY won't SDC credit me with those first 8 years of membership? Is this the way SDC rules for folks that might miss a year or more for sickness or other life-altering instances? I quit asking about this years ago, but NEVER got the reasoning that keeps 8 years of membership from being recognized.

The membership recognition for years of membership was set up to recognize continuous membership with appropriate pins.
I can understand arguments on both sides of this. Please contact the current SDC Board to initiate a change to this. I can see that the administration of broken periods of membership would be more difficult. I don't feel strongly for either way of thinking.

FlatheadGeo
01-02-2012, 01:36 PM
Gary,

If I am not mistaken, the Long Island Chapter was the first chartered chapter of SDC. Harry guided me in getting the LI Members together for this purpose. Our first meet was in Queens at Juniper Valley Park. We had Marv Siverstein from NJ there. Tom Portesy was driving by and saw the Studebakers and joined on the spot. This would have been 1970 or thereabouts. I moved to Queens in 1968 and had just joined SDC. Bobby Heinson, Henry Muller and many other of us old(er) SDC'ers were there.

blackhawk61
01-02-2012, 01:54 PM
In 1962 I was in the USAF and had a black 1957 Golden Hawk

studegary
01-02-2012, 03:34 PM
Gary,

If I am not mistaken, the Long Island Chapter was the first chartered chapter of SDC. Harry guided me in getting the LI Members together for this purpose. Our first meet was in Queens at Juniper Valley Park. We had Marv Siverstein from NJ there. Tom Portesy was driving by and saw the Studebakers and joined on the spot. This would have been 1970 or thereabouts. I moved to Queens in 1968 and had just joined SDC. Bobby Heinson, Henry Muller and many other of us old(er) SDC'ers were there.

George - I remember driving down to that gathering at Juniper Valley Park in one of my Studebakers. I bellieve that is when I first met you. The Hudson Valley Chapter was chartered before that, in 1969.

FlatheadGeo
01-02-2012, 08:48 PM
Gary,

You are correct on all counts! I stand(sit) corrected!! Geez, has retirement fogged up my memory already?

JBOYLE
01-02-2012, 09:02 PM
The really BIG Studebaker news this year is the 50th anniversary of the Avanti!

What day should we celebrate it?
April 26th..the date of the NY Auto Show where it was introduced?