Very interesting hub cap treatment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very interesting hub cap treatment

I restored a set of Speedster wire wheel covers for a Forum member's '54 Commander recently and just now got around to uploading the photos I took of them.

As I was packing them up, I looked over at the spare from my '57 and had evil thoughts. It's really too bad that a Speedster center cap doesn't fit snugly into a plain wheel...

And just because I know someone will want to see..

Last edited by mbstude; 12-30-2011, 11:13 AM.

Yeah baby! Those would be COOL with a trim ring like that!
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

It looks better than new, except for the lack of gold.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I like that WAY better than the wires....
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

That would not have anything to do with the fact that you know what a pain it is to maintain them would it? Naw!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks Gary. I would've painted the center gold but I don't have the paint. I'll let the owner take care of that. "Better than new" is about the best compliment I could strive for.

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            That would not have anything to do with the fact that you know what a pain it is to maintain them would it? Naw!
            You should try removing the outer skin of the center cap to hammer out the dents. And then polish the middle section of the wire basket without removing any wire spokes..
            Last edited by mbstude; 12-30-2011, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Personally, I think wire wheels with a big hubcap on them look stupid.
              You know - pick wires, or a hubcap - not both.
              The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I've always thought that the later wire covers were a little nicer looking.

I really wish I had a before photo of this one. It flew off of a friend's Avanti that was cruising down the interstate. The cover hit the asphalt 3 times, and had 3 places where the sides had rolled up like a newspaper. I had to do a rush job, but it was ready for the Concourse De Elegance just a week later...

I also did a set of these for an R3 Avanti that Brad Bez restored. And then I had to show him how to install them.

The nice thing about the later ones is that they are bolted together, so it's pretty easy to take them all apart. The Speedster wires.. They liked their welders.

Comment

Matt, you need to make some stainless clip-extensions to fit the old wheel and smaller caps. If you tell other Studebaker owners, you might sell 16,844 of them and be rich.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                    I've always thought that the later wire covers were a little nicer looking.
                    I really wish I had a before photo of this one. It flew off of a friend's Avanti that was cruising down the interstate. The cover hit the asphalt 3 times, and had 3 places where the sides had rolled up like a newspaper. I had to do a rush job, but it was ready for the Concourse De Elegance just a week later...

I also did a set of these for an R3 Avanti that Brad Bez restored. And then I had to show him how to install them.

The nice thing about the later ones is that they are bolted together, so it's pretty easy to take them all apart. The Speedster wires.. They liked their welders.
                    I obviously agree. One thing I like is that they cover the entire rim- no white showing. This was my second set. The first I sold to JDP because I couldn't figure out how to install them. He knew how. I made the mistake of selling these with the car- told the buyer I would give him $500 off the price of the car plus install four new stock wheel covers, but he wanted them. Matthew knows all about the third set...
                    Attached Files
                    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                    X