Avanti project in the works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti project in the works

I am hoping to tow home, next week, a '63 that's been, for the most part, well cared for. For the last several months, it has been sitting in a barn and is super dusty. I did the best look I could underneath and found the troughs and frame to be sound. Body looks good but the headliner is down. He's got all the stuff that goes with it.

Thing is, the owner before him was advised to spare the expense of rebuilding the 289 and just go with a crate chev 305 and auto tranny, which he did.

My pals at the local machine shop tell me that chevy engine is tried and true and should be fine. Funny, the only chevy I ever owned was a 58 Delray with the ohv six, so I know nothing about this'n. Only that there seems to be a zillion accessories for them in my Summit catalog. Guess I'll have to keep the hood down in the presence of my Stude friends. Ha ha ha!!

Will post pics when/if it makes it into my possession.

Originally posted by tomnoller View Post
    I am hoping to tow home, next week, a '63 that's been, for the most part, well cared for. For the last several months, it has been sitting in a barn and is super dusty. I did the best look I could underneath and found the troughs and frame to be sound. Body looks good but the headliner is down. He's got all the stuff that goes with it.

Thing is, the owner before him was advised to spare the expense of rebuilding the 289 and just go with a crate chev 305 and auto tranny, which he did.

My pals at the local machine shop tell me that chevy engine is tried and true and should be fine. Funny, the only chevy I ever owned was a 58 Delray with the ohv six, so I know nothing about this'n. Only that there seems to be a zillion accessories for them in my Summit catalog. Guess I'll have to keep the hood down in the presence of my Stude friends. Ha ha ha!!

Will post pics when/if it makes it into my possession.
    Tom

No SBC problem here. I'll be interested in your pictures because, as you know, the Avanti II had the front fenders heightened to allow the slightly taller SBC to fit under the hood. That could eliminate a lot of the SBC upgrades manifold wise from Summit but as you said there are a ton of aftermarket parts.

Most 305's are not world beaters as they were produced during the emissions era to lower displacement but I had one in my 39 Ford coupe with a better cam and intake and it ran like the fast reving SBC's of my youth.

In any case, I hope you get it and drive the wheels off of it.

Oh!!! and welcome to the SBC powered Avanti world.

Bob
    Last edited by sweetolbob; 12-28-2011, 01:48 PM.

Comment

This July I bought a 63 Avanti with a 1969 Corvette 350 and Turbo 400 installed in it.
      I was bringing my 37 back from Iola and the owner followed me to my drive way.
      He said he had a Studebaker and wanted to sell it.
      Funny thing is that the car was less than 2 miles from my house and I had never seen it.
      It used to be his Grandmothers car in PA. He drove it to Wisconsin in 2009.
      His Grandfather had a shop there and transplanted the engine.
      I also got the books and a bunch of receipts with the car.
      Some are from when he had sent the A arms to Avanti Motors to be rebuilt.
      The 350 fits nice and has the low Corvette air cleaner on it.
      It appears that there is not much room under the hood.

Comment

It's always been said the Avanti front end was raised due to the height of the Chevy engine compared to the Stude V8. I'm not sure but that may not be completely correct.

Some have compared the height of the two engines and say the Stude engine is actually a bit higher. Whether the differences of intake manifolds, carburetors and air cleaners is included in those comparisons is unknown to me.

Where I think the difference lies is less the physical measurements than in the location of the engine mounts between the two and that the Avanti required the steel mounts bolted to the frame for the GM engine. That could well make for the differences between the mounted height of the GM vs. Stude V8s.

Then again...it was pretty well known Nate Altman never really liked the rake of the original Avanti...this could have given him the excuse to level the car's appearance to his liking and use the height differential as his primary reasoning.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I remember reading the rake was changed to change the appearance / style of the car - making it more of a personal luxury vehicle, instead of a 'hot rod'. I had never heard or read of a clearance problem -

I love the rake of an early Avanti.

Comment

Tom

In any case, whether the height issue is an old wives tale or a just a design change, what you will get is less weight over the front wheels. The SBC is lighter than the Stude engine. My 83 with a 355 SBC; aluminum heads, intake manifold, water pump and radiator, with a newly rebuilt front end, new gas shocks and alignment is a dang fine road car.

It may not win road course events but it is surprisingly agile and sure footed during spirited driving.

Again, Pictures Please

Bob

Comment

Thanks for the input, Guys. Here's the first pic. Something tells me this car didn't come from South Bend with this color!

Comment

Tom, What's the serial number?
                64 GT Hawk (K7)
                1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

i like it!!!

my '63 had a '89 vette engine & drivetrain in it when i purchased her, and i notice the "rake" of the engine (looks lower in the back) is about the same as mine was. i had some stude guys (now friends) look at it and thought it was too tilted.

i guess my question is: is this "normal" for a sbc placed in a '63 or '64? were the avanti II's engine "level"?

just curious...
                  Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Tom

Nice find. Master cylinder upgrade, aluminum radiator, electric fan among other upgrades. Looks like a good driver.

I see a problem though - Insufficient pictures.

Bob

Comment

Before Bob P. spots it - the battery needs a better hold-down than that elastic band <G>.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Tom

Would love to see your new Avanti! I sold my 64, but have been going through my 4-door from top to bottom. Most of the drive train is done, body is sanded, bumpers, door handles, windshield, lights, trunk, hood, etc, are off. House of Kolors paint should be applied within the next week or two - not purple tho :-)

Does the car run? Does it need anything (other than roof liner - BTW, had mine replaced on the 64 at ABC Upholstery on 108th (Benson) near 192nd in south Renton.

Wish you well with your new ride - hope you have fun with it.

Rich
                        Cell: 425-417-5556

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                          It's always been said the Avanti front end was raised due to the height of the Chevy engine compared to the Stude V8. I'm not sure but that may not be completely correct.

Some have compared the height of the two engines and say the Stude engine is actually a bit higher. Whether the differences of intake manifolds, carburetors and air cleaners is included in those comparisons is unknown to me.

Where I think the difference lies is less the physical measurements than in the location of the engine mounts between the two and that the Avanti required the steel mounts bolted to the frame for the GM engine. That could well make for the differences between the mounted height of the GM vs. Stude V8s.

Then again...it was pretty well known Nate Altman never really liked the rake of the original Avanti...this could have given him the excuse to level the car's appearance to his liking and use the height differential as his primary reasoning.
                          I think you will find that the clearance problem on the Altman cars was that big old York a/c compressor, not the air cleaner. So, Nate with not liking the original rake of the car may have been a good excuse for them not to go with the GM compressor at lower location. JS
                          I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Working...
                          X