Another one gone part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another one gone part 2

Some time back, under the title of Another one gone, I posted a thread here about North Surrey's only GM dealer, Flag GM, jumping ship to Mitsubishi. Don't know why they quit GM, but to the casual observer, it doesn't look like they were pushed. I've recently discovered that South Burnaby's only Chrysler dealer, Deer Lake Chrysler Jeep has gone to Mitsubishi. Since Chrysler no longer has a stake in Mitsubishi, that means they are no longer related and therefore it is Mitsubishi only, as unrelated makes can't be sold under the same roof here.

Mitsubishi seems to be making a determined effort here to get out of their bottom dwelling position of Japanese auto sales. They have three tv commercials running constantly on our local channels. Flag seems to be doing well to this point.

Terry

Mitsubishi seems to be making a determined effort here to get out of their bottom dwelling position of Japanese auto sales. They have three tv commercials running constantly on our local channels.
    Mitsubishi took an unusually LONG time to market under their own brand name and dealership organization in Canada (1983 for U.S. introduction, 1999 for Canada), and appears they want to make up for it. It is very strange why they took so long to enter the Canadian market, though.

Craig
    Last edited by 8E45E; 12-28-2011, 03:28 PM.

Comment

They should have used the Hyundai model--start in a smaller, poorer, worse weather market like Canada, and if you can convince the punters to buy your cheap economy cars again and again, then you can move into the US market and sell larger, less fuel efficient, larger engined, higher margin vehicles in droves.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim B PEI View Post
        They should have used the Hyundai model--start in a smaller, poorer, worse weather market like Canada, and if you can convince the punters to buy your cheap economy cars again and again, then you can move into the US market and sell larger, less fuel efficient, larger engined, higher margin vehicles in droves.
        Maybe, but I had family members who owned a Pony in the early days and that experience tainted their reputation so badly I would never consider buying a Hyundai auto, even if there was nothing else to buy.
        Mark Hayden
        '66 Commander

Comment

I have often wondered if why Mitsubishi's reluctance to market in North America was due to the role they played in World War II. The world is a different place today with a global economy, but I find it ironic that vehicles manufactured by companies that produced wartime planes and vehicles for Japan and Germany are selling in the US. Many Americans today are totally unaware of the connections between several companies and their WW II roles. Here are a few I've thought of maybe some of you can add to the list.

Mitsubishi - Japanese Zero the plane that attacked Pearl Harbor
          Porsche (Volkswagon) - German Tiger Tanks
          Daimler-Benz (Mercedes Benz) - produced engines for German planes, tanks & submarines and barrels for the German Mauser rifle.
          sigpic
          John
          63R-2386
          Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Originally posted by Mark57 View Post
            Maybe, but I had family members who owned a Pony in the early days and that experience tainted their reputation so badly I would never consider buying a Hyundai auto, even if there was nothing else to buy.
            My 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned - 240,000 k and not a moment's trouble.

Terry

Comment

Mitsubishi - Japanese Zero the plane that attacked Pearl Harbor
              Porsche (Volkswagon) - German Tiger Tanks
              Daimler-Benz (Mercedes Benz) - produced engines for German planes, tanks & submarines and barrels for the German Mauser rifle.

Well, I wouldn't leave out BMW. Subarus? Nakajimas. And Alfa and Fiat at least tried.
              While I'm a big proponent of the "My Factory Bombed Your Factory Flat" bumper sticker, the ultimate irony must be JAL's fleet of Boeings.

Comment

Working...
              X