63 Avanti; what part is mising?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 Avanti; what part is mising?

What part, if any, is supposed to be in the trangular area at the top of the radiator bracket. Someting was there when a previous owner sprayed the engine compartment with flat black paint many years ago. See pic, it was shot from inside the empty engine compartment looking forward. Ken, Deltaville Va.

Added 12-29 Thanks for input, had a lead on a bracket but it did no turn out, does anyone have one to spare? Ken
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ken-renda; 12-29-2011, 06:15 AM.

Ken, without going out to the garage to look.I beleive that should have a bracket mounted there,and has a rubber bumper for hood support.
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I just went to the garage and my "63 has a bracket riveted there that contains a bolt that is a hood bumper. You can see the bracket attached to an air deflector in plate 05-3 in the parts book, but it does not seem to have a separate parts listing

Don Hart
      63R2681

Comment

Originally posted by 83AVANTI View Post
        I just went to the garage and my "63 has a bracket riveted there that contains a bolt that is a hood bumper. You can see the bracket attached to an air deflector in plate 05-3 in the parts book, but it does not seem to have a separate parts listing

Don Hart
        63R2681

yep!!!

i'll see if i can find a pic...
        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Here's a couple of pics where you can see the bracket centered over the radiator...

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Thanks, everybody, I had no idea what that might have been. When I got the first reply I found reference to it in the shop manual hood description but could not find a part number as it appears to be an integral part of a fiberglass part of the body. If I can't find one, I'll make it, thanks again. Ken

Comment

Gunslinger's pictures are good for what they are supposed to show/explain. I want to caution anyone restoring an Avanti that the pictures show many modifications.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Ken, PM sent. Jim S.
                I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

It is a very important piece! If it is missing, and the front gap tight, then the hood will catch the nose when opened. This is hard on paint
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948
                  http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I want to caution anyone restoring an Avanti that the pictures show many modifications.

Yes. Many very cool modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by comatus View Post
                      I want to caution anyone restoring an Avanti that the pictures show many modifications.

Yes. Many very cool modifications.
                      agree, this car started as a factory R2, converted to R4 by Stude dealer, then to R1. It is now being returned to R2 after sitting with a locked up engine from 1977. I had a lead on a bracket but it did not pan out, does anyone have an extra? Ken

Comment

I'll check - may have one from a burnt Avanti.

Comment

The good news is I do have one. The bad news is, it is fairly rusty and still on part of the front clip on a top shelf - not that easy to access to drill out the rivets or cutout a section of the fibreglass. It is not that difficult to make one. I can make you a pattern from thin cardboard, if no-one closer can provide one. Also, there is a backup plate behind that section that supports the rivets. In studying your picture, it appears that 2 of the 3 rivets are still there, so you may be lucky in that that plate is still in position. You will have to devise a way to keep that plate in position while you remove the remaining rivets and then rivet the new bracket in place. I would try drilling a small hole for a #6 self tapping screw in the center of the 3 existing holes and install the screw to hold the plate in place. While doing this, put a right angle hook or strong wire in the one hole that has the missing rivet to stabilize the plate while you drill and tap it.
                          If the plate falls off, then you will have to remove the rad cradle and locate the plate with a strong magnet and drag it over to the correct location. You would then need a 1/2" hole drilled in the center of the 3 rivet pattern and then draw the plate up to the correct position and then proceed as above. Then patch the hole.
                          PM me if you want me to make a pattern, and include your mailing address. Bill

Comment

Working...
                          X