No announcement yet.

58 Transtar Deluxe V8 Auto Production?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 58 Transtar Deluxe V8 Auto Production?

I've got a 58 Transtar Deluxe with V8 Auto.... How many of these were made?
    Anybody have any Data?

Welcome to the forum.

Is this truck a long bed? White? With rust hole in the front drivers side of bed? Visors on the doors? Then it might be a Truck I owned back in the '80's.
    According to Fred Fox article in Jan 1996 there were 1979 1/2 ton Transtar trucks made. US 1761 Export 218. I don't have a breakown on auto and manual transmissions.
    Last edited by Gary1953; 12-26-2011, 07:39 PM.
    Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO

Comment

Studebaker did not keep track of exactly how many vehicles were made with a particular combination of options. Such data can only be derived by going though each paper production order in the Studebaker Museum archives. That has only been done for relatively low-producction vehicles, like 4WD trucks. 1957 half-ton trucks with a V8 were model 3E7, so the number made can be identified as Gary notes above. By the way, the term "58 Transtar Deluxe with V8" could mean anything from a half-ton pickup to a 2-ton HD dump truck. But only the 3E7 was available that year with automatic. The following year,the automatic also bacame available in the 3/4-ton truck.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

I can't answer your question, but a color photo of a new '58 Transtar Deluxe is down near the end of this link. This was a photocopy of a picture, but I have the 8 1/2 by 11 glossy hanging in front of me on the wall in my office now. It was also used as a Turning Wheels inside cover photo, date unknown.

Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        (formerly Greenville, PA)
        Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
        Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
        1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
        1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
        All are in Australia now

Comment

Gary The truck is white and has a factory interior lamp just under the dash. It has an ash tray under the dash that looks factory. Can anyone come up with some Automatic numbers for 58?

RB
          53s
          57 Transtar
          64 Daytona 4dr (Wife's car Lucy)

Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture in the Geographic center of Tennessee
          My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
          sigpic
          Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
          in the Geographic center of Tennessee

Comment

Originally posted by Studeous View Post
            Gary The truck is white and has a factory interior lamp just under the dash. It has an ash tray under the dash that looks factory. Can anyone come up with some Automatic numbers for 58?
            Sounds like a totally stock Transtar to me, no chance of getting that number as Skip said, there is no way to tell how many of what transmissions were installed in them.
            Heck we can't even find out how many 3E's were '57's and how many were '58's!

It really has little effect on anything anyway. If you want to sell one, you get what someone who wants it more than yourself will pay anyway.

Yes, there are way less Automatics than Standard Transmissions in Trucks, and in the day there was a reason for that.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              Sounds like a totally stock Transtar to me, no chance of getting that number as Skip said, there is no way to tell how many of what transmissions were installed in them.
              Heck we can't even find out how many 3E's were '57's and how many were '58's!

It really has little effect on anything anyway. If you want to sell one, you get what someone who wants it more than yourself will pay anyway.

Yes, there are way less Automatics than Standard Transmissions in Trucks, and in the day there was a reason for that.
              Yeah! Control, torque, Clutch 'n Double clutch.....goin' for Dutch.
              JimsLeadCommander

Comment

Working...
              X