Traveling....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling....

This picture brought Woodyrods to mind, although his rig is not going to be so primative. Traveling in a Studebaker is going to be fun.

Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Primative? That's a Land Cruiser.

Comment

Trailer...PRIMATIVE
      Landcruiser...CLASS
      South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Comment

Great vintage photo. What I wouldn't give to go back to that time.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by ST2DE5 View Post
            Really amazing. We had a recent thread worrying about a Wagonaire pulling a trailer and here's a Champion pulling a BIG trailer. Shades of The Long, Long Trailer (anyone remember that).
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
              Great vintage photo. What I wouldn't give to go back to that time.
              The Studebaker Land Cruiser is a great car. My best friend's family had a black sedan. We had returned from a short trip and both doors were open on the passenger side. My left hand was on the center post and the rear door swung shut. When ever I see one I think of growing some new fingernails!
              "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

That 50s era 32' "house" trailer would have been quite a heavy rig. I had a 27' travel trailer that weighed 7k bone dry and that was a '98 and in the lite class. I can imaging a 32' trailer from the 50s weighing in the 8.5-10k range. Towing that 2k miles with a sedan is quite a cool feat.

That little pop up trailer behind the Land Cruiser in the first pic is very cool. Love to see the country in a ride like that. You would have to make sure you are not in a hurry because everywhere you stop people would want to look, talk, and tell you a Stude story and hear your story....would be fun but could get also get tiring.

Comment

That tent trailer is a Higgins. We had one when I was a kid. The Higgins company of WWII landing craft fame made them after the war.
                  They were made of aluminum, probably 16 ga. or so, with aluminum channel and angle bracing riveted in. When you ordered one you could specify the wheel bolt pattern to match your cars spare. We got ours used, it was drilled for 6 on 5 1/2 chevy wheels.
                  The top opened up to form two bunks, the heavy canvas tent folded up. It was dark in there on the sunniest of days. A bench down each side with storeage underneath, a combo ice box and pantry across the front. No plumbing, very plain, but tough. I still see one around here, being used as a utility trailer, its' top and tent removed.
                  Thanks for the memory, brought me back to camping with the family.
                  Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Saw this posted in the Fargo craigslist under antiques. Its actually in Grand Rapids, MN so most of the way to Duluth from here! Would make somebody a big project.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Where would you find the corner windows for it ?
                      Klif
                      55 Speedster/Street Machine
                      63 Avanti R2
                      64 Convertible R1

Comment

Working...
                      X