Does anyone know this car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know this car?

I'm looking at this car in Studio City, Calif. Is anyone familiar with it? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=...m=250953399551

Sure. That's the one John Polous bought and sold several years ago. He should be able to tell you all about it. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
      Sure. That's the one John Polous bought and sold several years ago. He should be able to tell you all about it. BP
      If that is the one John bought and sold (and it certainly appears to be), there is an interesting story about the engine in it (though I don't understand the $5,500 rebuild).
      Notice that the engine is not a full flow as it should be in '63. Back in the mid-70s John was working for an auto parts chain. He scanned their inventory and found two rebuilt ohv short blocks. He bought them. I had a tired '61 six-cylinder convertible so he offered me one of them and I bought it and stuck it in my barn. About the same time he found me a '47 Commander 5-passenger coupe in Annapolis (for like $200). Problem was, someone had started working on it, took off the hood ornament and had the spark plugs out of the engine. It was sitting outdoors- cylinders were full of water and were horribly rusted. I found a factory rebuilt Commander shortblock listed for sale in Boston. About the same time John had a customer for the second short block also in Boston. So, we worked a deal- I would carry his ohv shortblock to Boston and pick up my Commander shortblock which I did. Fast forward a few years- I had sold the '61 convertible and the ohv block was still in my barn. I don't remember exactly how or when (maybe John referred him to me), but a man who had a '63 Daytona six-cylinder convertible, I believe somewhere in New Jersey, approached me about needing a six-cylinder engine. I don't remember why the original six wasn't usable. Anyhow, my block had developed some surface rust in the cylinders (poor storage) so I offered it to him with no money up front. If he could cleanup the cylinders and use it, he could send me some modest payment. I didn't know if I would ever see any money or not, but about a year later he paid me- said the engine cleaned up just fine and ran great. That was the last I heard of it until John bought the car and re-sold it.
      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

They call the "6" in the Serial Number a "b". If you get the car, make sure that the paperwork matches the S/N.

I personally can't see that much for a six cylinder 1963 car.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

What a beautiful car.

Comment

Does seem like a chunk of cash for a 6 cylinder car that is not even the correct year motor....but that said it is very pretty. Too bad about the tear in the seat.

Comment

I just picked up a 61 in similar condition for a lot less than that.....7k...and I didn't think that I got a steal. It was a fair deal. Granted this is a 63, but it is a 6 not an 8.

Comment

Working...
              X